PMP VLC 0.0.9 Player

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jockyw2001

PMP VLC 0.0.9 Player

Post by jockyw2001 »

This one has AVC hardware video decoding support. Now you can see live TV and DVDs on your psp in high quality. That's 25 frames per second and in full screen (480x272).

=> you must use the supplied VLC package for AVC to work
=> the settings file pmp.ini has changed !
=> pmp.ini now contains a switch to enable AVC, you must set horizontal and vertical resolution to 480x272
=> to test installation first try to play VLC-ENABLE.AVI from memstick. It should play no matter what settings are made in pmp.ini. Then try to play a file from your video directory.
=> these sample pmp.ini files and streaming instructions will get you up to speed fast: sample pmp.ini files + streaming instructions

binary: PMPVLC009Rev4-test-binaries.zip (Rev.4 for firmware versions 1.0, 1.50 and Dark Alex OE firmwares Kernel 1.50 mode)
Your Download-Link: http://www.fx-world.org/download/jockyw ... naries.zip

binary: PMPVLC009_OE_Rev4-test-binaries.zip (Rev.4 for Dark Alex OE firmwares Kernel 3.x mode)
Your Download-Link: http://www.fx-world.org/download/jockyw ... naries.zip

Notes: Rev4 for Dark Alex OE firmwares supports WPA enabled WLAN. This test version currently only supports AVC hardware decoding, so your pmp.ini must have use_avc_hw = 1 and you must use the modified VLC package. Unzip and copy the directory PMPVLC009_OE_JockyW to the GAME3xx directory on your PSP (e.g. GAME330 if you use 3.30-OE)

binary: vlc-0.8.6a-psp-x264-wait-win32.exe (required for streaming AVC !!). This is VLC version v0.8.6a (currently latest official release) with support for AVC hardware decoding.
Your Download-Link: here

binary: pmpvlc009_mojojojo_mod_alpha7.zip, playlist script support for VLC by Mojojojo.

binary: vlc-0.8.5-psp-x264-win32.exe (required for streaming AVC !!)
or:
here

sourcecode: PMPVLC009Rev4-source.zip
here

sourcecode: PMPVLC009Rev1-source.zip
or:
here

Changelog:
Rev4 (02/28/2007) for firmware versions 1.0, 1.50 and Dark Alex OE firmwares Kernel 1.50 mode:
1) in AVC hardware mode it is no longer needed to play a file from memstick before playing a network file or stream. A big thx to jonny for pointing me in the right direction! :)
2) uses Ffmpeg build 7991 (02/15/2007)
3) can play Youtube videos from memstick
4) can play mpeg1 and mpeg2 files and streams
5) fixed bug where VLC plays unintended previous playlist item
6) improved general stability
7) nice background and icons made by "shadow-evillink" and "raven"
8) additional settings in PMP.INI: vid_extra and aud_extra

Rev2 (07/22/2006)
1) added AVC hardware video decoding support for high quality streaming and playback from memstick (requires the also supplied VLC 0.8.5 with x264 support for PSP)
2) scaling does now work correctly (pressing start during playback toggles screen mode if picture resolution < 480x272)
3) pressing right trigger in main menu now really connects to network and the IP address is shown
4) up to 5 video and 5 music directories can be added in pmp.ini
5) network path no longer displayed in filenames, except for the selected entry. Note: left out in 0.0.9Rev1
6) the supplied VLC 0.8.5 package automatically installs the required pspfiles.html file
7) solved several vlc and net directory buffer issues where there was crap at the end of the listing
8) the supplied VLC 0.8.5 can be used to encode video files, DVDs, live streams, capture device sources etc. to AVC avi files
9) fixed a bug where the previous track in the playlist was played again
10) pressing triangle buttton during playback toggles clock speed between 266 and 333MHz

Stick to the recommendations given below for pmp.ini before you start experimenting. The text below is a copy of the accompanying readme.

Have fun,
JockyW

===============PMP VLC Player ==============

PMP VLC Player
==============

version: v.0.0.9Rev2
date: 07-22-2006
by: JockyW

Contents
========
1. Changelog
2. What can you do with it?
3. Installation
4. Usage with VLC
5. Usage with PMP Server
6. PMP.INI example
7. Issues and future features
8. Credits
Annex1: Dbox2/Dreambox/TiVo live TV streaming
Annex2: How to stream (internet) video podcasts to PSP
Annex3: How to stream from TV cards to PSP
Annex4: Network connection diagnostic info
Annex5: How to convert mediafiles to AVC AVI files playable on PSP
Annex6: How to compile VLC for win32

1. Changelog
============
v0.0.9Rev2

Further bug fixes to improve stability and to avoid stalling in non-AVC mode

v0.0.9Rev1

Bug fix: left out following feature in 0.0.9Rev1
1) network path no longer displayed in filenames, except for the selected entry.

v0.0.9 (07-14-06)
1) added AVC hardware video decoding support for high quality streaming and playback from memstick (requires the also supplied VLC 0.8.5 with x264 support for PSP)
2) scaling does now work correctly (pressing start during playback toggles screen mode if picture resolution < 480x272)
3) pressing right trigger in main menu now really connects to network and the IP address is shown
4) up to 5 video and 5 music directories can be added in pmp.ini
5) network path no longer displayed in filenames, except for the selected entry
6) the supplied VLC 0.8.5 package automatically installs the required pspfiles.html file
7) solved several vlc and net directory buffer issues where there was crap at the end of the listing
8) the supplied VLC 0.8.5 can be used to encode video files, DVDs, live streams, capture device sources etc. to AVC avi files
9) fixed a bug where the previous track in the playlist was played again
10) pressing triangle buttton during playback toggles clock speed between 266 and 333MHz

v0.0.8 (06-25-06)
1) added DVD and (S)VCD streaming from PC to PSP
2) left trigger in main screen toggles between PMP server and VLC server (initially VLC server)
3) separate entries in pmp.ini for ip and port for VLC and PMP server
4) can only play music in PMP server mode (allows playing music in original format, no transcoding)
5) uses VLC 0.8.5 (!!!!! location of pspfiles.html changed (see ch3) !!!!!!!)
6) uses latest ffmpeg ogg routines, can now use mp3 in ogg container
7) tidied up this readme
8) added network connection diagnostic info (see annex4)

v0.0.7 (06-22-06)
1) first release
2) uses VLC 0.8.4a

2. What can you do with it?
===========================

PMP VLC Player plays mediafiles:

A) from memorystick
* Videos from PSP/VIDEO
* Music from PSP/MUSIC

B) from Optixx' PMP Server via WiFi (requires Python)

This is similar to the PMP MOD 2.00 version with network support, but it requires you to manually transcode all your video files to PSP format. I added it this feature for playing music files in native format (.mp3 and .m4a) where there is no need for transcoding. You can toggle between PMP and VLC server by pressing left trigger in the main screen

C) transcoded and streamed from VLC via WiFi (requires VLC 0.8.5)

Now that's really new :)

You can now play mediafiles on your PSP which are stored on your PC, with no need to first manually transcode and copy them to memstick. So if you are a lazy bumb like myself and if your PC runs all the time and you like to watch movies or tv on your PSP this proggie is just what you need. The transcoding is done by VLC in real time (that is if your PC is fast enough. My CPU is a AMD XP2400 with 768MB RAM and runs just fine). The PMP VLC client controls your VLC server: you can open a file for playback, pause, stop and seek (forward, rewind) it. Streaming protocol is http via tcp.

If you have a TV card or any live stream source you can have VLC transcode and stream it to your PSP. I use a Dbox2 digital sat receiver which send the stream to VLC which in turn sends a transcoded stream to my PSP. Atm I'm watching WC Soccer Brasil ag. Japan 1:1 The ball is a bit small but bigger than on my UMTS mobile :)
And beginning with v0.0.8 you can also stream DVD and (S)VCD. Now isn't that nice? And it's getting better, beginning with v0.0.9 you can use the AVC hardware video decoder for higher quality video and longer battery lifetime.

Note1: the AVC hardware support is still experimental and doesn't work flawlessly for stream playback. It is used when you set "use_avc_hw" to 1 in pmp.ini. The main problem is in the stream demuxer which often can't detect the picture dimensions. It can also mean that VLC is buggy and can't produce a compliant stream. However, I believe the problem is somewhere in a ffmpeg demux function. Anyhow, I'm still working on it.

Note2: Before you can play streams with AVC hardware support, you must play a few seconds of the video clip "vlc-enable.avi" (480x272) from the memstick. I hope I can avoid this annoyance soon, but for the moment I have no clue why this is necessary. I suspect also a buggy ffmpeg TS stream demuxer. You should always play streams with a horizontal size of 480.

Note3: if you enabled AVC hardware video decoding support then video files on the memstick must be AVI files with AVC video
(you can use the supplied VLC 0.8.5 to encode such files, see Annex5 for that)

An additional advantage is that VLC runs on many platforms (linux, windoz, mac, etc.)

PMP VLC is actually an extension of JiniCho's PMP 0.06 (Nov '05) with jonny's performance improvements, and magiK and jonny's AVC support. I've added network streaming and VLC control support. Essentially it is a PSP port of Ffmpeg's ffplayer.

3. Installation
===============

1) If you have another VLC version installed, first uninstall it and make sure to delete preferences and cache!!
(delete directory c:\Documents and Settings\"yournamehere"\Application Data\vlc)

2) install the supplied VLC 0.8.5 on your PC. The file is called vlc-0.8.5-psp-x264-win32.exe available in a separate binary of the distribution. Sorry this is for windows only. Someone has to (cross-)compile versions for Mac and Linux. Maybe if I have time I will do it myself.

3) On windows create a shortcut to vlc.exe where target looks like this:
"D:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --extraintf=http
(note that your path may be different from mine).
On other platforms make sure that vlc is started with the parameters:
--extraintf=http

4) copy the PMP VLC binaries to your PSP (/PSP/GAME/PMPVLC009_JockyW and PMPVLC009_JockyW%)

5) edit pmp.ini and copy it to /PSP/GAME/PMPVLC009_JockyW

6) copy the file VLC-ENABLE.AVI (in the VLC directory of the distribution) to your memstick in /PSP/VIDEO/

==> See below for an example of pmp.ini <==

4. Usage with VLC
=================

!! Before you start, make sure that there is at least one file in each of the /PSP/MUSIC and /PSP/VIDEO directories on the memorystick.

1) start VLC with the parameters: --extraintf=http

2) start PMP VLC 0.0.9 on your PSP

3) in the main menu press the right trigger to enable WiFi and network support
left trigger toggles between PMP server and VLC server (initially VLC server)

4) click the select button and from the media menu select video, music, live stream, dvd stream or (s)vcd stream

5) if you select video or music a directory listing shows mediastick and network files. The latter are shown with the prefix "net:/" (backslashes are shown with some kind of weird character, prolly because the font I use does not have it or whatever. That's just cosmetics which doesn't interest me so much). If you select dvd or (s)vcd make sure you have one in the drive which is indicated in pmp.ini (e.g. d:)

6) during video, dvd and (s)vcd playback you can use:
square -> stop playback
cross -> pause
D-pad R -> forward 10 sec
D-pad L -> rewind 10 sec
D-pad U -> forward 1 min
D-pad D -> rewind 1 min
R-trig -> forward 5 minutes
L-trig -> rewind 5 minutes
(Note1: the D-pad and triggers are disabled in livestream mode)
(Note2: with some files seeking/skipping doesn't work)

7) during music playback you can use:
R-trig -> play next track in directory
L-trig -> play previous track in directory
square -> stop playback
cross -> pause

==> If you play music it is transcoded <==

5. Usage with PMP Server
========================

1) start PMP server
* I've added Optixx' PMP server (pmp_server.py) in the package
* The music path can be edited in a text editor (windows: line 56, linux: line 58, default path is d:\music)

2) start PMP VLC 0.0.9 on your PSP

3) in the main menu press the right trigger to enable WiFi and network support and press the left trigger to enable PMP Server mode

4) click the select button and from the media menu select music

5) a directory listing shows mediastick and network files. The latter are shown with the prefix "net:/"

6) during music playback you can use:
R-trig -> play next track in directory
L-trig -> play previous track in directory
square -> stop playback
cross -> pause

6. PMP.INI example
==================

It consists of 3 sections:
1) [net] for network settings

con: the WiFi profile
vlc_server: ip address of running VLC server (the IP of your PC)
vlc_port: port number of your VLC You can set it to 8080 (same port is used for control) or to any free port on your PC.
pmp_server: ip address of your PMPserver
pmp_port: port number PMPserver. PMPserver uses 3333 by default but you can change it in the pmp_server.py script.
debug: set it to 1 if you want to debug with psplink

videopath: the path on your PC where your movies are stored
musicpath: the path on your PC where your music is stored
*) Note: only for VLC, the PMPserver directory is hard coded in pmp_server.py

dvd_drive: e.g. in windows d: if that is the dvd drive containing a dvd or (s)vcd (can also be a virtual drive of course, like a daemon tools virtual cd drive), in linux /dev/dvd

2) [transcode] for VLC audio/video transcoding settings

This is a tricky part where you can spend quite some time with :)
For background info on this see:
http://www.videolan.org/streaming/features.html
http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-h ... to-en.html

NEW: for streaming AVC (h264) set use_avc_hw = 1 and set res_horiz = 480 and res_vert=272 for best results. The container is automatically set to ts and the audio codec to mp3 if you stream files.

For non AVC streaming, I recommend these settings as they are most stable and deliver quite good quality:
res_horiz = 360;
res_vert = 272;
vid_codec = DIV3;
vid_bitrate = 600;
vid_fps = 25;
aud_codec = mp3;
aud_bitrate = 48;
aud_channels = 2;
container = ogg;

I found that ogg container format works best, followed by asf. The asf demuxer often fails with an assertion.
aud_codec = mp3 with aud_bitrate = 64 can work nice and fluent too.
You should experiment to find your optimal settings. You can probably raise the bitrate a bit and you can try other videocodecs such as mp4v.

I had little success using ts and ps containers. However, for streaming AVC (h264) the ts container is required and is automatically set when you set use_avc_hw = 1;

3) [live] live stream server IP and Port numbers

Note that lines starting with a # are treated as comments

Code: Select all

# Net Io Config
&#91;net&#93;
con	    	= 1;   
vlc_server 	= 192.168.1.13;
vlc_port	= 8080;

pmp_server 	= 192.168.1.13;
pmp_port	= 3333;

debug	  	= 0;

videopath1	= d&#58;\Movies\;
videopath2	= m&#58;\Movies\;
videopath3	= ;
videopath4	= ;
videopath5	= ;

musicpath1	= D&#58;\Music\;
musicpath2	= ;
musicpath3	= ;
musicpath4	= ;
musicpath5	= ;

dvd_drive	= g&#58;

# VLC transcoding settings
&#91;transcode&#93;
# set res_horiz = 480 if you use AVC
res_horiz	= 360;
res_vert	= 272;

# use_avc_hw is heavily experimental !!
# if set to 1 then automatically vid_codec = h264, aud_codec = mp3, and container = ts are set
# your pmp.ini settings are then superseded
use_avc_hw	= 1;

vid_codec = DIV3;
#vid_codec = mp1v;
#vid_codec = mp2v;
#vid_codec = mp4v;
#vid_codec = DIV1;
#vid_codec = DIV2;
#vid_codec = h263;
#vid_codec = h264;
#vid_codec = WMV1;
#vid_codec = WMV2;
#vid_codec = mjpg;
#vid_codec = theo;

vid_bitrate = 600;
vid_fps = 25;

# next transcoding parameter is only used if vid_codec = h264 !!
venc = x264&#123;me=dia,subme=1,analyse=none,bframes=0,b-adapt=none,chroma-me=none,merange=1&#125;;

# here you can put additional video transcode options, e.g. vid_extra = canvas-aspect=16&#58;9,canvas-width=480,canvas-height=360;
vid_extra = 

#aud_codec = mpga;
#aud_codec = mp2a;
aud_codec = mp3;
#aud_codec = mp4a;
#aud_codec = a52;
#aud_codec = vorb;
#aud_codec = flac;
#aud_codec = spx;
#aud_codec = s16l;
#aud_codec = fl32;

aud_bitrate	= 48;
aud_channels	= 2;

# resample is experimental and enables audio resampling on VLC server,
# it could offload the psp cpu a bit since if the sampling rate isn't 44100Hz
# PMP VLC will do resampling.
# However I noticed that sometimes playback of .mp4 files didn't work
# properly with resample=1
resample		= 1;
aud_samplerate	= 44100;

aud_extra =;

container = ogg;
#container = ts;
#container = ps;
#container = mpeg1;
#container = mp4;
#container = mov;
#container = wav;
#container = raw;
#container = asf;
#container = asfh;
#container = mpjpeg;

# live stream server
&#91;live&#93;
liveserver	= 192.168.1.13;
liveport	= 1234;

7. Issues and future features
=============================

- there are still many stability and performance issues. Usually the first video starts and stops immediately, the second time it usually continues to play well. I've added an automatic restart mechanism to cope with this, but it's not bullet proof.
- automatic detection of videoformat and compliant setting of transcoding resolution
- with jonny's GU color space conversion I can probably gain a few frames per second.
- use latest ffmpeg
- dvd navigation (chapters via shoulder buttons)
- subtitles (dvb?)
- audio track selection
- editor for pmp.ini settings (I can use Dickydick's code do_options() )
- it would be cool if VLC would support jonny's pmp container ;) (can be done since VLC is open source)
- nicer gui (Raphael?)
- resolve start button bug
- integrate media menu in main screen
- changedir support
- TV card channel zapping support
- Dbox/Dreambox channel zapping support
- automatic activation of AVC hw upon recognition of AVC files/streams, otherwise activation of the me
- the next version will definitely be better :)

8. Credits
==========

* JiniCho is the genius who started PMP player based on ffmpeg and ffplay.
* jonny is the genius who created the PMP MOD player with many performance enhancements
* all other devs of ps2dev.org
* all ffmpeg devs (amazing, educating and incredible fun)
* all devs of tuxbox.org (a community dedicated to dbox2 DVB receivers)
* and to all I forgot ...

Annex1: Dbox2/Dreambox/TiVo live TV streaming
=============================================

Here are instructions for streaming from Dbox2/Dreambox to PSP via VLC.
(Note TiVo boxes should work similar with variant 1. Anyone with such a box please give feedback)

Variant 1)
----------
No need for Neutrino GUI and/or Neutrino TV
I tested this with RTL on digital Astra 19.2E and it worked fine.

1) zap to RTL channel on Dbox2/Dreambox
2) start VLC on PC
3) File - Open Network Stream ...
4) in Open textbox paste http://192.168.1.250:31339/0,002C,00A3,0068,006A,0069 (IP you should be your Dreambox)
5) check 'Stream output' and click Settings button
6) in destination target paste the following line (*without* the code and /code tags but *with* the starting ':'

&#58;sout=#transcode&#123;vcodec=DIV3,vb=600,width=360,height=272,fps=25,acodec=mp3,ab=48,channels=2&#125;&#58;duplicate&#123;dst=std&#123;access=http,mux=ogg,url=0.0.0.0&#58;1234&#125;&#125;
Note: instead of vb=600, fps=25, acodec=mp3 also try with vb=700, fps=20, acodec=vorb
7) no further settings necessary, just click OK twice
8) start PMP VLC on PSP
9) select Live Stream and enjoy RTL live on your PSP, of course this will work for all other channels too

Variant 2)
----------

I'm using the Neutrino GUI on my Dbox2 for which there is this cool app called NeutrinoTV.

Check it out here:
http://forum.tuxbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41590
(I hope you can read german too :))

So if your Dreambox runs Neutrino then you only need to install NeutrinoTV (which can stream radiochannels as well), configure it with your Dreambox IP and run it.

NeutrinoTV picks up the stream from your Dreambox and acts as the VLC server for the PSP. In my distribution you find a directory VLC in which there are 4 streaming profiles for NeutrinoTV:
EnablePSPStreamingServer-ogg-mp3.nvo
EnablePSPStreamingServer-ogg-vorbis.nvo
EnablePSPStreamingServer-x264-ts-mpga.nvo
EnablePSPStreamingServer-x264-ts-mp3.nvo

On the PSP you'd select play Live Stream and in your pmp.ini in the live section the port number should be set to 1234 (this corresponds with the port number in the 3 profiles). Of course you change that.

I recommend the latter profile for near perfect streaming comfort !
Works great for me.

PS: even if your Dbox2 or Dreambox has a VLC plugin it can not be used without NeutrinoTV.
Your box simply does not have enough horsepower to do the on-the-fly transcoding !

Annex2: How to stream (internet) video podcasts to PSP
======================================================

1) start VLC on PC
2) File - Open Network Stream ...
3) in Open textbox paste the url of the video stream, e.g.:
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/services/podcast ... 2.affl.m4v
4) check 'Stream output' and click Settings button
5) in destination target paste the following line:

&#58;sout=#transcode&#123;vcodec=DIV3,vb=600,width=360,height=272,fps=25,acodec=mp3,ab=48,channels=2&#125;&#58;duplicate&#123;dst=std&#123;access=http,mux=ogg,url=0.0.0.0&#58;1234&#125;&#125;
Note: instead of vb=600, fps=25, acodec=mp3 also try with vb=700, fps=20, acodec=vorb
6) no further settings necessary, just click OK twice
7) start PMP VLC on PSP
8) select Live Stream and enjoy a transcoded stream on your PSP

Annex3: How to stream from TV cards to PSP
==========================================

1) start VLC on PC
2) File - Open Capture Device ...
3) enter capturing card details in the dialog
4) check 'Stream output' and click Settings button
5) in destination target paste the following line:

6) no further settings necessary, just click OK twice
7) start PMP VLC on PSP
8) select Live Stream and enjoy a transcoded stream from your capture or TV card on your PSP

PS: This threead is also very interesting: "Videolan TV-Streaming and remote channel changing SUCCESSFUL"
(http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=7065)

Annex4: Network connection diagnostic info
==========================================

Start the PMP VLC and after clicking the right shoulder button to enable Wifi and network support.
You should see shortly this:

========================================================================
Connecting to Access Point...
connection state 0 of 4
connection state 2 of 4
connection state 4 of 4
IP Address = 192.168.1.39 (that's my ip address, you should see yours)
Connection is okay if returncode is 0 => returncode = 0
========================================================================

All should be well if that is the case.
As of v0.0.9 the PSP's IP address is shown in green when the network is enabled.

Annex5: How to convert mediafiles to AVC AVI files playable on PSP
==================================================================

On your PC open a command window in your video directory and enter this command to convert to AVI:

"D&#58;\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv inputfile --sout #transcode&#123;vcodec=h264,vb=800,width=480,height=272,fps=25,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2&#125;&#58;standard&#123;access=file,mux=avi,dst="output.avi"&#125;
Note: you may have to adjust the path where vlc.exe is installed

For example:

D&#58;\Movies>"D&#58;\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -vvv sp02.avi --sout #transcode&#123;vcodec=h264,vb=800,width=480,height=272,fps=25,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2&#125;&#58;standard&#123;access=file,mux=avi,dst="output.avi"&#125;

Annex6: How to compile VLC for win32
====================================

In the VLC directory of the distribution you'll find:
- "vlc-cygwin-compile.txt" which describes it all
- "configure-vlc" which contains the correct configure options
nfigure options
=============================
Last edited by jockyw2001 on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:40 am, edited 43 times in total.
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

Great work!

Best regards!
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Nice work, unfortunately you used JiniChos code... which really is a mess. I don't know how you managed to find into the code and integrate something new, hat down there. :)
But it also smallens my enthusiasm for it, because the UI is unintuitive and complicates the otherwise easiness of playing videos on the psp (going through three screens everytime to watch a movie is not nice :/).
Btw, out of 4 videos I tried in wmv, avi and mpg format, not one worked :( probably just bad enocdes though.
And I even cannot try the streaming capabilities because of the lack of an wirless router :(

Anyway, thumbs up there for your work, I'm already looking forward to new versions :)

PS: Japan is a very unfortunate soccer player, they always surprise the crowd first, then just lose control of the game and get bashed :/
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

JiniCho's code is easy, but it's the ffmpeg/ffplay code which is hard to digest. But since I needed a ffmpeg based player it was the best I could get. If VLC would support jonny's pmp container I could use PMP MOD 2.01. Is there anyone motivated to add pmp mux/demux support to VLC?

Actually PMP VLC only makes sense if you have WiFi. The gag is to use VLC for the transcoding. And to avoid misunderstandings: files directly played from memstick are *not* transcoded. Probably the clips you tried to play are in a wrong format (WxH > 480x272). Most of my limited resolution clips are played flawlessly whatever codecs they use.

Regarding the 3 menu layers, I can easily reduce that to 2 :)
And hopefully some of the gui experts like the functionality of PMP VLC ...
LukeDogg

Post by LukeDogg »

Thanks for the great work jockyw2001!

you mentioned that you stream your dbox output to the psp? how did you set this up? can you give me a quick tutorial on this please?

i use a dreambox 7000 which is quite like a dbox in most terms, there is also a vlc plugin for the dreambox, maybe with it there is no need to use a pc as server for the psp stream?

Thank you very much for your work and your help!
moontan77

Post by moontan77 »

Im using the 7000s aswell and am a bit confused how to use this:

My dreambox is 192.168.1.3
My laptop is 192.168.1.2

The ip of the stream ( BBC1 London ) is http://192.168.1.3:31339/0,0105,1388,1389,138a

I added that bit to the vlc shortcut and start vlc player, then i go to open network stream, select the http one (3rd one down) and enter the IP of bbc1 above, then click stream output and go to settings, where i click http and put in the ip address of my laptop and select the audio and video codecs etc and finally click ok. But on the psp it just says the ip of the livestream server and error. Im probably doing this totally wrong :) , but havent a clue tbh what your meant to do to actually select your stream on vlc first and your guide doesnt seem to mention it.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

@LukeDogg:

I'm using the Neutrino GUI on my Dbox2 for which there is this cool app called NeutrinoTV.

Check it out here:

So if your Dreambox runs Neutrino then you only need to install NeutrinoTV (which requires VLC, and in this particular case you can install the latest VLC version 0.8.5 instead of 0.8.4a so that you can stream radiochannels as well), configure it with your Dreambox IP and run it.

NeutrinoTV picks up the stream from your Dreambox and acts as the VLC server for the PSP. In my distribution you find a directory VLC in which there are 3 streaming profiles for NeutrinoTV:
EnablePSPStreamingServer-asf-mp3.nvo

On the PSP you'd select play Live Stream and in your pmp.ini in the live section the port number should be set to 1234 (this corresponds with the port number in the 3 profiles). Of course you change that.

Works great for me.

@all:
I'm working on the new version 0.0.8 already which allows playback of streamed DVDs and (S)VCDs. Stay tuned.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

moontan77 wrote:Im probably doing this totally wrong :) , but havent a clue tbh what your meant to do to actually select your stream on vlc first and your guide doesnt seem to mention it.
Not totally wrong but still wrong. If you post the internet url of the BBC1 stream I will write some instructions how to configure VLC for such kind of streaming.

Btw: see my previous post for streaming live digital TV from Dbox2 and Dreambox.
mattias800

Post by mattias800 »

Hmm, need some help here :)
I got VLC up and running (I can access the web interface at port 8080) and I've modified the pmp.ini to point to the corrent IP.

<code>
# Net Io Config
[net]
con = 2;
server = 192.168.101.128;
port = 8080;
debug = 1;
videopath = z:/ftp/filmer/;
musicpath = c:/temp/;
</code>

I've copied the pspfiles.html to VLC/admin, is this correct? There was no such directory in the installation, there is one in VLC/http though.

I run the PSP application, press right trigger (nothing visually happens, is this correct?), select-button, and i select Videos from the menu, the Wifi-indicator flashes for a second and then it just says there are no videos available. Same for music, and both of them contain quite alot of files.

Any ideas?
Networking with the PSP works just fine with other apps, PiMP for example.
"Unix is like an intelligent woman. Very difficult to get started with, but blissful once you get established with it."
LukeDogg

Post by LukeDogg »

thx for your quick reply!

one question though, is the neutrinotv really needed to stream to the psp? if i have a vlc plugin installed on my dreambox, shouldnt the plugin be able to serve the stream to the psp?

maybe im totally wrong with my suggestion ;)

cant wait to get home and try this, im at work right now ;(
jockyw2001 wrote:@LukeDogg:

Check it out here:

So if your Dreambox runs Neutrino then you only need to install NeutrinoTV (which requires VLC, and in this particular case you can install the latest VLC version 0.8.5 instead of 0.8.4a so that you can stream radiochannels as well), configure it with your Dreambox IP and run it.

NeutrinoTV picks up the stream from your Dreambox and acts as the VLC server for the PSP. In my distribution you find a directory VLC in which there are 3 streaming profiles for NeutrinoTV:

Works great for me.

@all:
I'm working on the new version 0.0.8 already which allows playback of streamed DVDs and (S)VCDs. Stay tuned.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

mattias800 wrote:I've copied the pspfiles.html to VLC/admin, is this correct? There was no such directory in the installation, there is one in VLC/http though.
Stupid me!! I made a typo in the manual. I have corrected it in the 1st post above.

@all: please follow the VLC installation instruction as given in the first post above !!! Sorry for the hassle.

The file pspfiles.html must be copied to:
X:\...........\VideoLAN\VLC\http\admin
(in my case the default path is D:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\http\admin)

And another important thingie:
rename or remove the file .access if it's in X:\...........\VideoLAN\VLC\http\admin

That should do the trick.
Btw you also use Wifi profile 2 ? (con = 2;)
Last edited by jockyw2001 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

LukeDogg wrote:one question though, is the neutrinotv really needed to stream to the psp? if i have a vlc plugin installed on my dreambox, shouldnt the plugin be able to serve the stream to the psp?
Yes it's really needed since your dreambox, despite having a vlc plugin, does not have enough horsepower to do the transcoding. You do have neutrino do you?

Enjoy your weekend :)
LukeDogg

Post by LukeDogg »

hmm, gotta check that. i know that there are neutrino-based images for the dreambox, i dont know if mine is one of them.

ahh know i understand the need for the pc. are there other programs like neutrinotv that could be used to do the transcoding part?
jockyw2001 wrote:
LukeDogg wrote:one question though, is the neutrinotv really needed to stream to the psp? if i have a vlc plugin installed on my dreambox, shouldnt the plugin be able to serve the stream to the psp?
Yes it's really needed since your dreambox, despite having a vlc plugin, does not have enough horsepower to do the transcoding. You do have neutrino do you?

Enjoy your weekend :)
aface

Post by aface »

Now we're cooking with mustard.

This is the only program ive been waiting for that is likely to get much use with my psp. Pimpstreamer was good, but lacked the tv streaming capabilities that this has.
VLC is great - just a pity we cant use the latest version (any idea why it doesnt work with the latest 0.8.5 ?)

Alex
mattias800

Post by mattias800 »

Ah, thats what con is :)
I moved the pspfiles.html tp VLC/http/admin and removed the .access file.
I changed con to 1 (should be the first network profile, right?).

Still doesn't list any movies though. con = 2 should have worked also (its the same as #1, but with static IP instead of DHCP).

Hm, I really wanna get this to work :)

What is the function of the pspfiles.html?
Is there some way to see whats going on? As it is now, I cant even see if there is a connection made to the VLC client.
"Unix is like an intelligent woman. Very difficult to get started with, but blissful once you get established with it."
moontan77

Post by moontan77 »

the dreambox as far as i know cant be used with the neutrinotv program and so these files would not apply to dreambox:

if theirs any dreambox images that use neutrino they are probably very very early ones and of no use now with plugins etc.

The ip of the bbc channel as far as i know is http://192.168.1.3:31339/0,0105,1388,1389,138a with the latter numbers being video pids, audio pids etc

If i put that url into vlc, it will start to stream that channel immediately from my dreambox
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

mattias800 wrote:Ah, thats what con is :)
I moved the pspfiles.html tp VLC/http/admin and removed the .access file.
I changed con to 1 (should be the first network profile, right?).
if you don't have other profiles and never deleted then it could be the right one :)
What is the function of the pspfiles.html?
Is there some way to see whats going on? As it is now, I cant even see if there is a connection made to the VLC client.
pspfiles.html is the vlc webpage which returns a directory listing in the right format to the PSP.

You have: server = 192.168.101.128
Make sure that is the IP address of your PC and not your PSP.

To test if VLC and psfiles.html are installed correctly do:
1. start VLC with the parameters as given in the instructions

2. open a browser and enter:
http://192.168.1.13:8080/admin/pspfiles ... tp/filmer/
(change IP address to that of your PC)
You should see a webpage with a directory listing where each videofile is prefixed with net://

3. open a browser and enter:
http://192.168.1.13:8080/admin/pspfiles ... r=c:/temp/
(change IP address to that of your PC)
You should see a webpage with a directory listing where each file is prefixed with net://

4. now start the PMP VLC and after clicking the right shoulder button to enable Wifi and network support click select - Music.
You should see shortly this:
Connecting to Access Point...
connection state 0 of 4
connection state 2 of 4
connection state 4 of 4

If no directory listing is shown disable your firewalls. Perhaps incoming port 8080 is blocked. If that is the case then open that port in your firewall(s)

Finally if that doesn't work try to use psplink for further debugging.
Last edited by jockyw2001 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

aface wrote:VLC is great - just a pity we cant use the latest version (any idea why it doesnt work with the latest 0.8.5 ?)
Alex
They changed the http control interface. I will figure that out for a next version.

@moontan77:
See 7 or 8 posts up where I answered LukeDogg. You can't directly stream *and* transcode from your dreambox.

Btw: your BBC url contains your dreambox ip. No worries, I will find the correct public url.

@all:
It is important to understand the role of VLC on your PC.
It serves as a stream server which transcodes on-the-fly
VLC can come disguised as part of another program, but don't worry about that for the moment! The concept is explained quite nice here:
http://www.videolan.org/streaming/

Also make sure you follow my instructions in the 1st post above to install VLC 0.8.4a (!)
mattias800

Post by mattias800 »

Thanks for the reply again!

The directory listing is working, so VLC is obviously all setup :)

When I select Music, the connection state-dialogue appears, but it still says the directory is empty. Which it isn't when I go to the VLC url.
When I select Video it doesn't even show the connection state stuff..

:/

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, they are both on the same subnet, so there is no firewall to go through.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

When I select Music, the connection state-dialogue appears, but it still says the directory is empty. Which it isn't when I go to the VLC url.
When I select Video it doesn't even show the connection state stuff..
/
The connection stuff is only shown in Music, in fact it's a bug, but could be useful in such cases.

Are you sure your wifi is properly set up?
Is it switched on? (yes, it does happen ...) Have you tested the first profile? Do you have a valid IP in the same subnet as your server? Have you checked whether your firewall is not blocking the port? (even if your hosts are in the same subnet ports can be blocked, so disable that damn windowz firewall for now!)

Otherwise I'm afraid I'm running out of suggestions :(
mattias800

Post by mattias800 »

Hello again!

I'm sure there is not a problem with the network (btw, I'm starting my final year in my computer science education, so I'm know my way around these kind of things).

The resulting html when listing the files are filled with blank rows, I assume its because of the subfolders?
Second, the file names a prefixed with net:/, not net://.

Can any of those be a problem? The second one seems a little off, but maybe you dont have subfolders in your movie/music folder?

EDIT:
Hm, probably not, just noticed that there is always a blank row in the beginning of the html data.

EDIT2:
Empty directory, copied 4 MP3:s over there, edited pmp.ini and restarted. Still doesn't show any files. They show up the listing though, http://192.168.101.128:8080/admin/pspfi ... /temp/mp3/ ..
Strange, bah... I hate it when I cant get stuff to work :)

EDIT3:
PiMPStreamer is working right away, between the same PSP and PC.
I changed to vlc = 0 and port = 3333 and tried your player again, and still it doesn't show any files :(

EDIT4:
Opening http://192.168.101.128:8080/admin/pspfi ... /temp/mp3/ gives me exactly this.

<code>

net:/c:\temp\mp3\01-system_f-out_of_the_blue-tgx.mp3
net:/c:\temp\mp3\02-gouryella-tenshi-tgx.mp3
net:/c:\temp\mp3\03-veracocha-carte_blanche-tgx.mp3
net:/c:\temp\mp3\04-pulp_victim-the_world-tgx.mp3
</code>

And the beginning of pmp.ini looks like this:
<code>
# Net Io Config
[net]
con = 1;
server = 192.168.101.128;
port = 8080;
debug = 1;
videopath = z:/ftp/filmer/;
musicpath = c:/temp/mp3/;
</code>

Crap, I just cant figure it out.
Sorry for the obnoxious posting :)
Last edited by mattias800 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
reifri

Post by reifri »

Hi there!

Still got problems with live streaming.
I really wonder what to do with VLC. I changed the path, copied the pspfiles.html to the right folder, renamed .access. Should I start streaming with VLC from the dbox now? When I start PMP VLC on the PSP and enter live streaming, the wifi led is on and I get the error: "http://...ip...:port/: Error while opening file" Sometimes it says loading... but then freezes.
I cant find the problem. Firewall is down, everything else works fine. I can stream with Vlc on the Pc perfectly, even with a notebook via wifi(54Mbit). But not with the PSP... Are the any settings to be made in VLC (0.8.4a)?
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

reifri wrote:Still got problems with live streaming....
Are the any settings to be made in VLC (0.8.4a)?
@Dbox2/Dreambox users: use Neutrino GUI and use NeutrinoTV, which requires VLC. Follow instructions in my reply to LukeDogg
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

mattias800 wrote:The resulting html when listing the files are filled with blank rows, I assume its because of the subfolders?
Second, the file names a prefixed with net:/, not net://.
my mistake, files should be prefixed with net:/
but that's not the problem, neither are subdirs

I guess the problem is caused because you either don't have /PSP/MUSIC and /PSP/VIDEO directories on your memstick or they are empty.

Make sure those are created and make sure there is at least one file in both of them.

The directory list first shows the files on memstick followed by the networkfiles. If the memstick is not having any files the directory listing is discontinued. Yeah, one could call that a bug ... sorry
mattias800

Post by mattias800 »

jockyw2001 wrote:I guess the problem is caused because you either don't have /PSP/MUSIC and /PSP/VIDEO directories on your memstick or they are empty.

Make sure those are created and make sure there is at least one file in both of them.

The directory list first shows the files on memstick followed by the networkfiles. If the memstick is not having any files the directory listing is discontinued. Yeah, one could call that a bug ... sorry
Ahh, there you have it :)
I created the missing directory and added files in both of them, now it works :)

It works quite well too, although the picture isn't scaled to fit the PSP screen properly?
A suggestion is to fix so that movies can be displayed in the three different aspect ratios (cinemascope, widescreen and 4:3).
And directories aren't working with the PiMPStreamer server. Not really that important though, I'm more interested in VLC.

Great work! Finally usage of a more standardized video streaming protocol, and platform independent as well, great :)
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

mattias800 wrote:It works quite well too, although the picture isn't scaled to fit the PSP screen properly?
A suggestion is to fix so that movies can be displayed in the three different aspect ratios (cinemascope, widescreen and 4:3).
Press the Start button during playback. It'll cycle through normal, fit screen and full screen mode. Default start mode is full screen.

Of course there are these resolution settings in the [transcode] section of pmp.ini which you have to tune as well:
res_horiz = 360;
res_vert = 272;
These values are sent to VLC which does the transcode and scaling accordingly.
And directories aren't working with the PiMPStreamer server. Not really that important though, I'm more interested in VLC.
Correct, the PMPserver directory is hard coded in pmp_server.py
Great work! Finally usage of a more standardized video streaming protocol, and platform independent as well, great :)
I'm glad it finally works for you.
Please give further feedback, after you have played for a while.

@All: I have made additional updates in the first post. So please read it again should you have initial probs.
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Raphael wrote:Nice work, unfortunately you used JiniChos code... which really is a mess. I don't know how you managed to find into the code and integrate something new, hat down there. :)
I've just downloaded the sourcecode of PMP VLC rival app "PiMPStreamer PSP" coded by dickydick. See: http://pimpware.pspstart.de/

It's entirely based on PMP 2.01 and capable of playing pmp files from memstick and transcoded streamed media from dickydick's streamserver. I like the pmp playback capability and I also like the idea of not having to port back jonny's GU code.

So I will give it a shot and see if I can integrate PMP VLC in PMP 2.01

EDIT: No, I won't try that. PiMPStreamserver can apparently produce a stream wrapped in a .pmp container. We can't expect VLC to do the same thing on short term ;)
Bob535

Post by Bob535 »

If I have added and deleted connections, will that affect the Con number? I currently have one connection titled "home" and I have set Con at 1

I can get the directories to list on my computer, I can get the psp to display the dummy files added to each directory but no net files display.

Suggestion: Display the IP addres obtained from the connection so that we know it has actually connected.

Update1: Switching it to Con 2 or 3 just eliminates it checking the Wifi alltogether (no light and no delay) so I assume 1 is what I should have it set to. I have no wep encryption on my router, what else could it be?

Update2: Also tried Con 0, with the same result as Con 1, (light with delay) then it displays the dummy file only. Tested the vlc links on a computer behind the same router as the psp and they worked.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

jockyw2001 wrote: EDIT: No, I won't try that. PiMPStreamserver can apparently produce a stream wrapped in a .pmp container. We can't expect VLC to do the same thing on short term ;)
Yep, that's why he coded his own stream server. Same could only be done by creating a patched version of VLC, what I think is not worth the effort :)
But maybe you can clean up the code more like jonny did. There are thousands of files, which aren't even compiled afaik. I once tried to find the part in JiniCho's code that does the same as pmp_play_open/pmp_decode_get on jonnys version, but got lost in the jungle and gave up :)
If you manage to do so, probably its possible to integrate my upcoming GUI there too, since I'm aiming at having it run more like a layer above jonnys code, so it will be theoretically possible to completely change the playback code (like exchanging for PMP Mod AVC without much changes).

Best regards,
Raphael
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

moontan77 wrote:Im using the 7000s aswell and am a bit confused how to use this:

My dreambox is 192.168.1.3
My laptop is 192.168.1.2

, but havent a clue tbh what your meant to do to actually select your stream on vlc first and your guide doesnt seem to mention it.
Ok, I got the point.
Here we go:

Here are instructions for streaming from Dbox2/Dreambox to PSP via VLC.
No need for Neutrino GUI and/or Neutrino TV
I tested this with RTL on digital Astra 19.2E and it worked fine.

1) zap to RTL channel on Dbox2/Dreambox
2) start VLC on PC
3) File - Open Network Stream ...
4) in Open textbox paste http://192.168.1.3:31339/0,002C,00A3,0068,006A,0069 (IP you should be your Dreambox)
5) check 'Stream output' and click Settings button
6) in destination target paste the following line:

&#58;sout=#transcode&#123;vcodec=DIV3,vb=700,width=360,height=272,fps=20,acodec=vorb,ab=48,channels=2&#125;&#58;duplicate&#123;dst=std&#123;access=http,mux=ogg,url=0.0.0.0&#58;1234&#125;&#125;
7) no further settings necessary, just click OK twice
8) start PMP VLC on PSP
9) select Live Stream and enjoy RTL live on your PSP, of course this will work for all other channels too

Will update the 1st post once more ...
Last edited by jockyw2001 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.