Questions about sale.

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Oobles
Site Admin

Questions about sale.

Post by Oobles »

As mentioned in news.. if you've got any questions. I'll answer what I can.

Oobles.
pdc

Post by pdc »

Will the forums be going?

It seems to me that PS2dev.org is completely profit-free and a real open/community effort.

Do you know what will become of the site and what guarantees there are from the 'company' about it's future?

Edit: Also, who holds (exclusive?) access to the all the forum posts/data after the sale?
Last edited by pdc on Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
rinco

Post by rinco »

will the new company provide an sdk for the playstation l33t?
Neil Stevens

Post by Neil Stevens »

Could you make a tarball of the CVS repository available, just in case?
LionX

Post by LionX »

damit, i dont like ths.

Post by Guest »

People will never learn :P
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I retain copyright control over all forum content. I'm currently working on a deal to merge it into the ps2ownz website for a cut of their advertising income.

These funds will be used to help purchase a PS3 devkit and license for use by the homebrew community. Hopefully we can start releasing games under the 'ps3ownz' label in under a year from now.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

ooPo wrote:I retain copyright control over all forum content. I'm currently working on a deal to merge it into the ps2ownz website for a cut of their advertising income.

These funds will be used to help purchase a PS3 devkit and license for use by the homebrew community. Hopefully we can start releasing games under the 'ps3ownz' label in under a year from now.
Troll alert!
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

pdc wrote:Will the forums be going?

It seems to me that PS2dev.org is completely profit-free and a real open/community effort.

Do you know what will become of the site and what guarantees there are from the 'company' about it's future?

Edit: Also, who holds (exclusive?) access to the all the forum posts/data after the sale?
As some of you may know that I helped setup the initial arrangements and I've been asked to continue helping with site administration. I know oobles is quite busy with getting things taken care of so I'll try to give a bit of information if I can.

I'm not involved with the negations so I don't know if any intentions about how they are to handle the existing content have been said, however I do know the agreement would include all access to content (including forum posts and user information) be given to the company.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Per the agreement, only a copy of the forum user information is being sold to the new owners. Again, I retain copyright control over the content itself.

Re-read the contract, bucko.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

ooPo wrote:Per the agreement, only a copy of the forum user information is being sold to the new owners. Again, I retain copyright control over the content itself.

Sorry, I guess the details have changes since I last talked to them.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development

Post by Guest »

ooPo wrote:Per the agreement, only a copy of the forum user information is being sold to the new owners. Again, I retain copyright control over the content itself.

Heaven forbid they get ownership of your trolls ;)

Post by Guest »

I for one am a bit disappointed at the suddenness of all of this. But I think we all owe Oobles a debt for making this site into what it had become.
Neil Stevens

Post by Neil Stevens »

Stupid time zones. Stupid international date line.

I swear, I should just get off the internet on this day every year. There's just no useful information available, heh.
pixel

Post by pixel »

Can we expect getting some shares ? Huh ? Huh ?
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Panther

Post by Panther »

(Edit)
...........!!
Good ........, but I ..........!
You guys should ............ that .............. is the ..............!!
After all, would any of you here ........... Oobles ........... a thing??? I think he would, in such a case, ........... the web site ............ the community. Don't you think so??

Clever guys can fill in the blanks by themselves. I have been asked to "plz edt", you know... :)
Last edited by Panther on Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jabberwock

Post by jabberwock »

@panther, you spoiler...i hoped no one would post that kind of remark....pleaz edit...

Post by Guest »

Perhaps the joke is on those who thought they could perpetuate Oobles' little fun. ;)
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

gorim wrote:Perhaps the joke is on those who thought they could perpetuate Oobles' little fun. ;)
It lasted long enough to catch the next wave of people waking up... so it works for me ;)
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Panther

Post by Panther »

IMHO, it was too obvious not to figure it out... :)
etx

Post by etx »

Heh, I'm sure the new owners will be great. ;)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Drakonite wrote:
gorim wrote:Perhaps the joke is on those who thought they could perpetuate Oobles' little fun. ;)
It lasted long enough to catch the next wave of people waking up... so it works for me ;)
The only person who bit was Lion both here and in #ps2dev. If you and ooPo hadn't tried to perpetuate it, then perhaps Oobles could've pulled it off :P. If anything you could've expressed your shock and dismay, then others might've done the same.
"He was warned..."
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Come on, brown... admit you were fooled and stop trying to blame it on other people. :)
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

Thanks for everyone for playing along and forum ops for taking their part. Yes, it was as clear as day that it was an April fools day joke. :)

Ofcourse the first part about me not having *much* to do with ps2dev is still true. But its been like that for a while now already. I'm currently working on an open source license to release Argot and Colony with. Following that I'll be committing the main ps2dev.org web site to CVS. Its built on that software.

The best thing is that ps2dev doesn't need any individual to keep the site running anymore. It is a real community effort these days. If something was to really change that I couldn't be the admin for the site, I'd organise someone from ps2dev to move it.

Oobles.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

mrbrown wrote:The only person who bit was Lion both here and in #ps2dev.
Completely untrue.
There were numerous people on irc that were fooled at least for a while and I read some very disturbingly gullible people's posts on other sites as well.
The actual ps2dev members who were caught by it... well, I'm pretty sure they can be counted on one hand.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I was worried until I saw the post that it was combining with ps2ownz and the money would be used to buy a ps3 dev kit. That pretty much nailed it down as AF joke for me. Before that, I was actually worried enough to make a fresh checkout of the cvs in case it was taken offline. :)

Great joke guys!
pdc

Post by pdc »

I've fallen for them all :(

/me hangs head in shame