what skills

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

FNG

what skills

Post by FNG »

i would like to know what skills are needed to be able to understand what you guys are doing. please dont pwnd me to bad, i am an network engineer and i dont have much experience with programming and hardware cracking/hacking although i am very interested since i have just bought my psp. any help and or links would be awesome.
pdc

Post by pdc »

Network engineer... and you can't work out what is being discussed? O_o

Learn to program and you will understand what is going on with respect to files, algorithms and exploits. Learn C++ and you are sorted.

Take an electronics course and you can learn understand the hardware used in such devices.

Most importantly, it takes time.
If you can't keep up, it will take a lot of learning before you can.

If you're a network engineer though I guess you spend a great part of your life messing with computers?
If so, you should pick things up without too much difficulty.

Come lurk in #pspdev Efnet and just listen to what is being discussed.
You can take that Ops are clued-up and most +voices are also.
senas8

Post by senas8 »

You know I been keeping C++ off , but you know I think its time I start doing something ...instead of seeing others do it...just need to find a way to keep at it...and firt where to start. Is c++ for windows different from c++ for Mac? And what role does Real Basic have?
FNG

Post by FNG »

i never once said i couldnt work out what needed to be done, i was wanting a quick overview. thank you though.

Post by Guest »

- C++ is overrated. Its good to know. Focus on C and MIPS assembly.

- Embedded hardware and systems, including programming concepts.

- Focus on MIPS cpu architectures. The book "See MIPS Run" is perfect.

- Get the PS2 Linux kit (may have to get off ebay now) in order to get the excellent hardware documentations.

- Spend alot of time reading these forums, reading docs, reading books.

- It helps to play with dev on the PS2, you will learn alot of concepts that will serve you extremely well for what needs to be done on the PSP. Get a PS2 if you don't have one already, and get involved in PS2 dev.

I studied all this stuff for a few years (since the linux kit came out) before I even made my first post. I am still known as the "theory" guy in these parts. ;)
asmodi

Post by asmodi »

senas8 wrote:You know I been keeping C++ off , but you know I think its time I start doing something ...instead of seeing others do it...just need to find a way to keep at it...and firt where to start. Is c++ for windows different from c++ for Mac? And what role does Real Basic have?
C++ is the very same language platformwide. API and such isen't tho.
Real Basic don't have any role, anywhere, anytime.
DBG

Post by DBG »

I think the M$ sharp (#) languages can be avoided as well. C/C++ will be used in near everything for years to come, so it's never a waste of time if you learn about either language. Delphi is still my favorite language, but it won't come in handy for much in PSP hacking. Just get into whatever you can enjoy, and stay clear of VB. I think a lot of people start off with VB because it's very easy, but you will hit a wall very quickly as soon as you want to do something even *slightly* complex. While using VB6 years ago I ended up having to go into C++ to make an envelope for a wav file, VB didn't have any way to package this inside an exe (well, if it did, I didn't know how =p) x.x.
Last edited by DBG on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexGreen

Post by AlexGreen »

VB interpreter runnig on PSP? That would be interesting to see :D
What does this button do?