Anyone interested in psp's graphics ability?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

konfig

Anyone interested in psp's graphics ability?

Post by konfig »

Homebrew development on the psp. It's excellent, but, is there anyone who is interest in the psp's powerful graphic ability(I've heard even NURBS surface was hardware supported on the psp. Homebrew dev on graphics may be quite amazing, I think)? Or shall we treat psp only as a normal portable digital system?(though psp is still powerful with two 333Mhz R4000 processors).

It may be early to discuss this now. But is anyone interested?
I'm quite insterested in homebrew dev and planning to buy a psp soon(I know little about hacking). I'm looking forward to it.
Ihsan

Post by Ihsan »

By the moment every thing related to PSP is in a quite early stage... but I'm sure there will be a lot of people interested in a lot of dev including graphics of course, but we will have to wait...
weak

Post by weak »

who wouldn't be interested in psp gfx coding after playing a game of ridge racers. but i'm afraid sony won't release any kind of public dev kit and without the right libs you're kind of lost.

i'm still hoping that we'll see something like a mod scene for the psp. for example it will be possible to download extra tracks for wipeout and place them on your memory stick. maybe we'll see some 'homebrew tracks'. although i'm afraid additional game content will be magic gate protected or something.
senas8

Post by senas8 »

weak wrote:who wouldn't be interested in psp gfx coding after playing a game of ridge racers. but i'm afraid sony won't release any kind of public dev kit and without the right libs you're kind of lost.

i'm still hoping that we'll see something like a mod scene for the psp. for example it will be possible to download extra tracks for wipeout and place them on your memory stick. maybe we'll see some 'homebrew tracks'. although i'm afraid additional game content will be magic gate protected or something.
LOL, even Magic Gates have Keys...For it to be locked someone must have used a Key.
weak

Post by weak »

well, i dunno anything about magic gate.

but let's estimate they're using a keypair encryption. they could use one key, which they don't share, to encrypt/sign the tracks. another key, placed on the game umd, could be used to decrypt/check the tracks.

so what?
konfig

Post by konfig »

I've got one now.

Pretty good screen display and amazing graphic processing ability in Ridge Racer game - probably more wonderful in the forthcoming GT4.

I've heard AT3 music is protected by the magic gate. If MS runnable file is also protected, it will be troublesome - though I think SONY will let runnable file be bare.
pirloui

Post by pirloui »

It wooulb be nice with a 3D file viewer one day.. There was one on GP32. (veeeery basic)
Grover

Post by Grover »

heres a pretty nice list of technical specs - publically available ones.
http://psp.ign.com/articles/513/513175p1.html?fromint=1
The amount of processing capabilities seems pretty impressive. But with magic gate keeping people from running exe's.. Id be surprised to see anything homebrew running from memstick anytime soon.. although .. if it can be done.. itd be great!!!
Bye.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

DrEggman

Post by DrEggman »

basically half the poly count
max texture size is 128x128 4-bit due to bandwith issues.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

DrEggman wrote:basically half the poly count
max texture size is 128x128 4-bit due to bandwith issues.
And where is the source to back up your claim ?
Kung VU
konfig

Post by konfig »

DrEggman:

128x128 4-bit texture. That is only 8kbyte of PSP's 2MB video memory.
Even PS can handle texture up to 256x256 size and 15-bit direct color. So I thought PSP can handle more.

I couldn't find the texture ability in the above links. Could you give a link?