Is Sony's MSX-M1GN 1GB Pro Duo card compatible with PSP?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

marconelly

Is Sony's MSX-M1GN 1GB Pro Duo card compatible with PSP?

Post by marconelly »

I've heard a rumor that PSP does not work perfectly with Sony's new Pro Duo cards (1GB and probably 2GB too). It's said that copying files from PC to PSP with this card inserted, does not work properly, or something like that. Is there any truth to this? Does anyone here have that card to try it out?

Also, I'm interested if PSP USB transfer to/from this High Speed card is any faster than to a regular pro duo card when used with PSP. I'm thinking it may not be, if the bottleneck is somewhere in PSP's I/O hardware.

These cards are a lot more expensive than Sandisk's 1GB model, but it would be worth it if the USB transfer is faster.
M2

Post by M2 »

I have 2 of them. Both work really, really well. No problems, as of yet. In fact, my boss ordered his ScanDisk model, and was having issues with it on a Mac/PSP transfers (the Mac wouldn't see the MS in the end). But, I bought the Sony model, and it's really quite nice. It transfers quite fast as well. I can copy 300Mb video file in about 30 seconds or so... fast enough for me.

And, when using PSPWare to sync photos and music, the conversion is quite fast as well... but, that's computer dependent.

I haven't heard any problems with the Sony model and PC though... care to share the resource link on this?

Hope this helps...
M2.
marconelly

Post by marconelly »

No real resources, it's just a rumor, and probably a dumb rumour at that... I read it in one of the GameFAQs PSP hardware guides, and it was listed as being rumor - apparently the author of the guide has got several emails from people complaining about copying files from PC to PSP or something like that.

M2 your help is most appreciated. I would just like to ask you to confirm that this is the card you have:

If you don't mind, I'd like you to measure with the stopwatch how long it takes to copy one 10mb file and also one 100 megabyte file from your computer (USB2 port I assume?) to a PSP with that card inserted. Please post the time and the exact file size.

If your comment about 300MB in 30sec is a fair estimate, then wow, that's quite amazing. That card is well worth the money, then.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Using a usb-based card reader is faster than directly using the psp itself, I find.
marconelly

Post by marconelly »

I don't doubt it, but it's more convenient to just plug the cable into the PSP than to remove and re-inser the card every time you want to copy something :\
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I already have the reader plugged into the back of my machine for CF cards anyway, so its easier to not have to crawl back there and plug in the PSP instead.

Huzzah!
M2

Post by M2 »

marconelly wrote:M2 your help is most appreciated. I would just like to ask you to confirm that this is the card you have:

Yes... that's the card.