3GP Convertor replacement

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Grover

3GP Convertor replacement

Post by Grover »

I loved 3GP, but was looking for something that could to a fair bit more - more like iPSP on Mac. So I decided to make this little tool - PSPmt (PSP media tool). Its just basically a gui, and you can use whatever tools you need to do whatever you want to movie and music/audio files. Just drag a whole group of files onto the white listbox. It will autofilter and add only the files it can convert.

http://www.gagagames.com/Files/PSPmt.zip

At the moment its in fairly early stages - it only converts files, doesnt yet transfer file. However it will build a correct directory structure with correct names. There are no docs yet either (will make a nice manual when complete), so you need to click the "Home" button to set your temp folder where it will convert all files to. There are tool tips for most active parts of the app - so most of it is self explanatory. Also, theres no measure of time, about how long a process might take (mainly because its not easy to determine anyway :-) ), so I just have a flashing green light that will flash as long as conversions are underway. Also, each file it converts will be removed from the list when done.

You can modify the png image files to 'personalize' your own PSPmt window. And finally, I have found a few issues while using ffmpeg, and blade, and some movies just wont convert and run on PSP (Im really not certain why - like alot of movs, have problems - I had assumed ffmpeg should handle this fairly transparently). So if you want to see an operations output simply add <%ShowExe%> to the line in PSPmt_Movies.ini or PSPmt_Audio.ini. There is an exmaple of running quicktime after conversion in PSPmt_Movies.ini.

Finally any feeedback, and suggestions will be taken into account - the USB gear will be done next weekend, and hopefully docs and a nice installer. So respond before next weekend and I might be able to get it in :-)

Oh btw, make sure you install quicktime 6.5 or better and it will run on Win2K or better. Sorry Win95 ppl.

Cheers,
Bye.
robotrhys

Re: 3GP Convertor replacement

Post by robotrhys »

Thanks for the file link, I didn't know you needed it to transfer files! lol
Cheers, robotrhys ;P
Grover

Post by Grover »

Yeah, its doesnt _need_ to transfer files I guess ;-) But I really wanted something that I could set running.. and then just let it do its stuff. Then just unplug the PSP and its ready to go - ideal for a big conversion or if you are filling up a 1GB memstick with gear :-)
Bye.
Grover

Post by Grover »

Actually, something I forgot in my initial post. A big thankyou goes out to Klendathu who posted some great settings for 3GP, which I used. I hope you dont mind, and thanks a heap. The settings I am talking about can be found here http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... eea93703a6
Bye.
Pikoro

Post by Pikoro »

Grover,

I'd like to do a review of your software. If you can, send me your email address so I can talk to you off forum.

Thanks
Pikoro
http://www.psphacks.net/
seng6073

Post by seng6073 »

i use your software to convert a movie to mp4
but how come it's turn out to be some gp format??
what is that??
and i cant open it..............
can you tell me how to open it
and one more question
i try 3GP converter .....but everything it show error when it finish converting
can anyone help me with that
Grover

Post by Grover »

Sounds like the file you are trying to convert isnt supported by ffpmpeg (the movie encoder). As I mentioned above, mov's have problems (this is an ffmpeg thing - since all my program does is call it). I also found many formats are not fully supported - like wmv (only wmv1 is properly supported with ffmpeg, wmv2 partially.. and wm3 unsupported). Asf is the same. If there is not mp4 file created - then the conversion failed - use <%ShowExe%> on the conversion command lines to get more info. Also, depending on your stream data, QFFlatten might also not complete properly.

I'll have a nice doc and installer done sometime soon, which will cover how to convert as many types as possible.

Btw Pikoro - I have PM'd my email to you.
Bye.
Sir_LANs-a-lot

Post by Sir_LANs-a-lot »

Hi Grover, just used your util to convert a DVD (4.3Gb) down to a nice 347Mb so it'll fit nicely onto a suitable memcard.

A couple of points I noticed when using it (not complaints, just observations!) - I tried the software on two different PCs, both using nVidia chipset gfx cards, both machines were running 32bit color desktops - On one machine, the masking for the shoulder buttons and flashing wireless light was showing whereas on the other PC, everything looked correct... weird..

Also, any chance of sticking in a progress indicator for the file it's currently crunching?

Nice piece of work so far..

Cheers
[Sir_LANs-a-lot]
Grover

Post by Grover »

Thanks for the response Sir_LANs-a-lot

Were the OS's different? I'll have a look and see if I can find anything that might do that - the gfx rendering is changing for release anyway, so hopefully it might have been fixed in the process :-)

A progress indicator is something I want too - so in the next few weeks, I'll hopefully have something that works :-)

Yeah the compression, and quality is surprisingly good - I found just changing ffmpeg from a 1 pass to a 2 pass can reduce the size of a file by up to 20%.. there are some other features in the works too (originally slated for release today but Im going to get a few more things in before a proper release is posted. - also a couple of skins :-) )

Thanks again..
Bye.
Sir_LANs-a-lot

Post by Sir_LANs-a-lot »

Both PC's are running WinXP Pro SP2

I guess it could be a driver issue on the one PC.

The PC that it was fine on has a GeForce 6800 in it.

The older PC has a 3D Prophet 4500 w/ TV-Out on it.
[Sir_LANs-a-lot]