So... does anyone have one yet?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Impressions?
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

About 200,000 people have one.. but I don't.

Oobles.
Shazz

Post by Shazz »

And... Does anybody has already coded a demo on the PSP ?? :D

Baaah :D Just a dream...

Ep Oopo, can you easily find PSP resellers in Canada ?
- TiTAN Art Division -
http://www.titandemo.org
anonymous coward

Post by anonymous coward »

:) :) :)
Houston we have a problem

Post by Houston we have a problem »

Thar be guests posting in these them here farums!

Post by Guest »

Ahem....

I have one now. ;) Haven't gotten bored with it enough to start looking for dev stuff... its awesome! :)
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I hope you bought enough to share with the whole class.

Post by Guest »

ooPo wrote:I hope you bought enough to share with the whole class.
Methinks you have PSP envy.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Nah. I just want yours. :)
soks

Post by soks »

does it really open with just a twist?
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Heh, maybe waiting isn't such a bad idea.
beatwho

Post by beatwho »

I got one, and it rocks.

That is all.
manasol

Post by manasol »

What is the usual process of a new console coming?
For example: When does an sdk come out?

Also I am just beginning c++.
How long do you guys believe something can actually be written and run on the psp? (I'm not asking if maybe you can crack the psp or anything just an educated guess on experience of other consoles, as I know really nothing of the scene).

I hope to be able to contribute to homebrew on the psp, if it's possible and if I can learn and execute C++ soon.
Thank you
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

It will take the time it will take, there are no definitive answers, its a new platform wich very few(none) here have any indepth knowledge about, so its the wait-and-see game up ahead.
Kung VU
TriOptimum

Post by TriOptimum »

It kicks the DS into the nearby UHF television... *cough*

Seriously though, it's pretty cool, Nintendo definitly has some real competition for the first time as soon as Sony can make enough of these to meet demands. The controls on it are much more suited for normal (vs childrens) sized hands, and the screen is unbeleiveable. The graphics are near PS2 style. It's very easy to forget your not playing on a big screen at home on the PS2.

Now as soon as someone makes a web browser and email client for this, it replaces my pda... see the two screw hold on top of it to the left and right of the usb port? Think they have something planned?

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/e3-sony ... 016141.php
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Bashing an alternate console is cool and all, but let's stay on topic...

Yes, I agree that pants are a wonderful way of showing off your socks.
kemical

Post by kemical »

i have.. 2. need to sell the extra one, also have extra ridge racers.

so far, it seems there will be downloadable / shared games, onto the memory stick, I've been trying to edit the files used for savegames, just messing around, psm is the video file for the icon, at3 is the audio loop, png are obvious, param.sfo is just a small file for folder structure, stuff related to the name of the game, and maybe other things defined, the data.bin is the actual save data.

my main interest with that stuff is the PSM file format, because currently sony has limited the size and compression of mp4 files that you can play, the little icon video files are smaller than the 2 sizes sony lets you use (320x240 and 160x something).. my guess is that the PSM format is also used for ingame videos, like the intro to ridge racers.. but maybe not. it's probably just an mpeg4 format file with other stuff added.

Also, a coworker and me have been messing with the wifi stuff, I was really amazed that I could scan and pick up people's wireless networks while walking around outside, but then again I've never used a wifi device before..

if you do the Network Update, and use a working network connection, the PSP seems to try to connect to a server somewhere to check for updated firmware, I will be getting a usb wifi adapter for my pc to try and grab packets from the psp, I'd like to see where it is trying to connect to...

I know someone will eventually figure out a way to spoof their PC as the place the PSP tries connecting to for firmware, (they already have for doing psp link-play / adhoc), and then they will be able to send custom made firmware updates to their psp, possibly even grabbing the current one from the psp.. probably will have to occur sometime after sony makes a new firmware update for the psp, so that people can see how the full transfer works and possibly intercept the data being received.

The firmware is most likely the whole interface and features, so it may be very likely that there will be custom versions that allow full resolution mp4 playback (480x272), I'm assuming sony limited it due to them wanting the UMD movies to be popular...

well, i'm assuming a lot, but I am expecting cool stuff to happen once more people with better knowledge for this stuff get their own psp's.

*edit*
oh and battery life, the screen looks great on the lowest b rightness setting, and you don't always need the volume maxed, I usually have it less than 25%
i didn't realize this before getting a psp, but you can simply plug the psp into the ac adapter, and it will automatically charge, without interrupting anything you're doing (even playing games, etc), without requiring any switches or button presses, its very cool and very convenient...
even if the unit is off, it will charge while plugged in and stop charging when at 100%, it also has a nice battery life menu with estimated time remaining and info like that.
charging seems to be very fast too, about an hour or so for a full charge (from 0-10% to 100%), I'm still used to the days of doing overnight charges on r/c cars and stuff like that..... so the whole battery life stuff doesn't seem like a big deal at all on this psp now that I've seen how it recharges and everything.

the psp makes the ds look like a cheap toy.... the ds is still very cool though, but it's 3d really does look bad when compared to the psp..

there are things I'm seeing in ridge racers that I wouldn't expect, it seems there are realtime? reflections on the car, low res of course, but the reflection is very responsive to what is around you, they either did an amazing job faking it with multiple environment maps, or it's real time.. plus there is specular style glare on the roads and other little effects like that.
Stan64

Post by Stan64 »

I have one. I do disagree though that 25% of volume is enough. If I sit in the subway and play with my headphones I need 100%. And I always go with full brightness but maybe I have to cut down there.

I will gladly help the DEV community but I have no skills whatsoever. I'm very good at computers but have never been interesting in coding things and so on.
Soldiers of Mist
jz

Post by jz »

I got mine the hard way. I was in Japan on business trip. Most shops had accepted pre-orders on their allotted units and were already sold-out. Except for the ToysRUs at Kusatsu (a small town by lake Biwa) which had 40 units ready for sale to the first lucky customers on 12/12. So I walked for 2 Hrs, camped outside the store from 10pm saturday and got myself the very first unit sold there. My impressions:
-Incredible screen and graphics, except for some red smearing
-Another two units bought by my Japanese friends had 5 and 4 bad pixels -mine has a perfect screen
-The drive is a little noisy when loading files, but silent when playing the demo trailers and Ridge Racers intro.
-Turning the unit completely off by holding the power switch for 5 seconds is the best you can do to save on battery power
-Sound is excellent, but comes mainly from two small holes on the bottom, not on the front as it appears from the literature, so if you hold it while standing straight in front of you or against your chest the sound is damped. The best is holding it above a table or just plugging in the earphones (iPod white).
-There is a 6 pin connector for the remote, close to the audio jack, which together with the additional DC pads on the other side makes me think of the possibility of a charging dock with sound channeling
-The shoulder buttons feel cheap and my R one sticks if not pressed just straight
-The UMD disks are very nice, encased but with no shutter, and look like the "Next Sony Standard" so I expect them IMO to start taking the place of the minidisk in e v e r y t h i n g Sony sometime in the future. Note I could be totally wrong on this.
-The thumb-stick feels good, but they missed on the opportunity to use it also as a button. There is only one, and no buttons on the back.
- There are two holes on the top for machine screws, maybe to attach future peripherals with USB ports, a light, or even a lid
-Backlight is strong enough with a fourth intensity available when plugged in.
-The overall look is very cool with a shinny surface. No antiglare, just like the DS, so using it under a lot of ambient light is not recommended. It does not have a touchscreen like the DS, unless the fingerprint enhancing surface qualified as such. I got a free red cloth as a gift -believe me, it is required equipment.
-The price with sales tax included (5%) was ¥25,999, and the games ¥4,399, ¥4,699 and ¥5,099
-Having it for Christmas.....priceless.
Stan64

Post by Stan64 »

Soldiers of Mist
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

That's a weird looking keyboard... very odd.
moose

Post by moose »

Got mine, it's a great toy... check out my twobits on connectivity with a Mac and a WiFi network here:

http://hardmac.com/article.php?id=45

The wardriving tool sure is great ;-)
It really detects any wifi network in the area... and the signal strength seems pretty good too, at least as good as that from an Apple iBook.
JeffChen

Got one

Post by JeffChen »

I'm in Shanghai, China, and I managed to get one from one of my friends who is working in a game shop, via EMS, 72 hours right after the sell on 12/12.

It costed me $351 - a PSP-1000, a Ridge Racers and an extra Battery.

All my friends now envy me ^^

And about the Movies:
Some japs wrote a program called "3GP Converter", which is tuned for converting MPEG4 coded AVI videos in to PSP sepcialized 3ivx MP4 video files. The quality is much better than Sony's Image Converter 2.1. So I recommend you forget about IC2 from now on, except it can manage the MSD and rename the converted video files automatically for you.

Everyone can try converting AVIs by using "QB4 Steoro/64K" setting. It won't take long, but you must get a large-enough Memory Stick DUO to put the videos into it (I bought a 512M Sandisk MSPD with 5 year-warranty, for $87).
Believe in what you do.
proberts9999

Post by proberts9999 »

jz wrote: -Sound is excellent, but comes mainly from two small holes on the bottom, not on the front
A friend of mine saw a PSP running GSM software functioning as a cell phone. Is there a mic on the same side as the sound holes?
FreeFighter

Sony Plans PSP Phone Update

Post by FreeFighter »

proberts9999 wrote:A friend of mine saw a PSP running GSM software functioning as a cell phone. Is there a mic on the same side as the sound holes?
Seems you're right about the Cell phone.
Source: http://psp.ign.com/articles/581/581103p1.html?fromint=1