psxdev.net

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Is it time to switch domains to psxdev.net?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:35 pm

yes
55%
no
45%

Total votes: 22

Oobles
Site Admin

psxdev.net

Post by Oobles »

Anyone reading the news would have seen that we now have a whole heap of domains all redirecting to ps2dev.org. This is all because Sony are expanding their gaming goods. The PSP and what is expected to be the PS3 have been added to the mix. Just for good measure I've picked up psxdev.net.

So the question is should we move everything to psxdev.net and give up the old ps2dev domain. The ps2dev.org domain has been running since March 2003. Is it time to switch?

Post by Guest »

Anyhow, as long as you leave a spot for PSX (the pvr, not the ps1) development on the site, doesn't matter either way too me ;)
boomint

Post by boomint »

Is it just a case of creating one top level domain and have all the others redirected to relevant sections? Ie psxdev.* is top of the umbrella?

ps2dev.org would still be in the same place (technically) and the other sections could be added as and when they are released/implemented.

Or would it all be:

psp.psxdev.net
ps2.psxdev.net
psx.psxdev.net

???
--( someone stole my sig! )--

Post by Guest »

I like it!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Taking action now may save you trouble later. If you switch soon and get people used to going to the new address, you'll have less trouble than if you wait and Sony tries to TAKE ps2dev.org from you. Big companies have gone on a rampage, gathering any domain name even remotely close to what they think is theirs by right of some product.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

If they wanted ps2dev.org, they would have taken it by now.

Or at least tried.

As for this domain nonsense, I'm all for a central domain... but I don't think we should call is psxdev or something like that. It should be a more generic name, like sonydev or something a little less crappy than that. :)

Or, we could use a name we make up or steal, like the name those crazy [WD] or [NpM] folk use. They'd have even less chance to take a name away than Sony. I don't imagine they even have lawyers at all. :)
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

We have kamikaze turtles. beware.
Kung VU
hiryu

Blah !

Post by hiryu »

I vote for psdev.org or psdev.net (without the X)
(if either are available, I havent checked)

and assorted subdomains ...

ps2.psdev.net
psx.psdev.net
psp.psdev.net
ps3.psdev.net

etc etc yada yada yada
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

thats the problem psdev.org is already taken.
dev.ps is not though..

psp.dev.ps
ps2.dev.ps

etc.. not the prettiest I agree, but another quarter thrown in for the sake of it :)
Kung VU
Herben

Post by Herben »

blackdroid wrote:We have kamikaze turtles. beware.
*runs away screaming like a japanese school girl from a tentacle* aiiieeeeeee!!

I think paki is on the right track, we should have:

1.dev.ps
2.dev.ps
3.dev.ps
X.dev.ps
P.dev.ps

ok, so I'm only half serious about that..

Really though, perhaps we should consider going with a more broad-scoped name using sub-domains like "ps2.consoledev.org"(I have no idea about status of that domain, just an example). I guess the answer to the question of domain name really depends on what direction we take from here and what exactly we are. Obviously a fair percentage of PS2DEV comes from that loose-knit collection of PS1 dev groups that collectively formed up what was "PSXDEV"(in my mind). I, personally, really like the MIPS CPU instruction set and my main motivation for console hacking is simply to reverse-engineer stuff and learn how it works the hard way on a CPU I'm comfortable with. However there're those who are simply Sony fanboys, those who hax0r other consoles, those who simply like the dev on PS2 itself, etc etc. I'm cool with psxdev.org too. :D
pixel

Post by pixel »

I don't know what to vote either tbh. I like the idea of a generic domain with subdomains, but I also like the idea of registering lots of other small domains redirecting... Whatever :)

About consoledev.com, it's taken by some generic scamer/domain holder. It's not impossible to take it, but it may cost a bit. About consoledev.net, it seems to have been registered by some idle guy. Buying it back from him shouldn't be too difficult. And consoledev.org seems to have been just taken by some french paki right now... huh... :P

Oobles: do you still have some domains you like to register ?
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

I refuse to vote as I think a new centralized domain might be a good idea, but I hate the idea of psxdev.net ...

IMO if we are going to go to a generic name, we shouldn't limit it to just sony devices, despite the fact thats all we really do... Ok, I take that back, we mostly just troll so I guess it doesn't matter no matter what.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development

Post by Guest »

Still my favorite suggestion from IRC is using a "trolldev.net" parent domain.

I.e.

ps2.trolldev.net
psp.trolldev.net
psx.trolldev.net
ps3.trolldev.net
ps1.trolldev.net

:)
Saotome

Post by Saotome »

i voted "no" in the poll, to not switch the domain, but thats a good one gorim
i like it ;D
infj
Neovanglist
Site Admin

Post by Neovanglist »

Voted trolldev.net!
Regards,
Neovanglist
evilo

Post by evilo »

Voted !

for www.psxdev.net and all subdomains :
ps2.psxdev.net
psx.psxdev.net
psp.psxdev.net
ps3.psxdev.net

What will become the old one (ps2dev.net) ? just disapear ? will it automatically redirect to the new address (at least for a short time period) ?
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

All the old domains would (should!) point to the agreed-upon final domain on a permanent basis.

I still don't like the psxdev name, though... there has to be something better.
evilo

Post by evilo »

and why not just a simple psdev.net ?
boomint

Post by boomint »

psdev.net is already taken. :(

Am warming to trolldev.net though!
--( someone stole my sig! )--
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Because psdev is also a boring name. :)

Next!
pixel

Post by pixel »

consoledev!
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

trollandnotdev.net
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
DiGiTaLeX

Post by DiGiTaLeX »

I think you should just redirct it to here.. add another one to the pile, And on the main page you have news, and on the nav bar, you have links to the relivent sections...

No need to make things more complicated