Any comments?

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

soks

Any comments?

Post by soks »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8143847460

O_O

I wonder why he wants a 30001 and is selling the 30002.

If this is what he said, isn't it illegal to redistribute it?

Anyways, just yeah... I should go work.
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

LOL,
The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale
Does anybody really wonder why??
But I do wonder how much trouble (if any??) thay guy'll get into..
Those things are licenced to developers,not sold, right?? So I guess it wasn't his to sell.
Damn, I need a decent signature!
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I believe these debug/test units are actually sold to the user, but only to licensed companies. They're really no more useful than a modded PS2 so there isn't much need to keep a tight grip on them.

The auction mentioned review copies of some games, so it probably belonged to a videogame journalist of some sort who was using it to preview games before release, or maybe even write a strategy guide.

All perfectly legal, but if Sony found out who leaked it they could probably make their life uncomfortable by revoking their license. :)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Sony considers their dev hardware, leased, not purchased. Anyone who legally leased one from Sony cannot legally sell it.

It still happens, regardless.
"He was warned..."
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

I don't know how they handle it now, but back in 2000 we were offered these units at about $1k USD outright, with no need to sign any license agreement or a lease. They were pushing them as cheap artist-devtools. Load up an asset viewer and let them play.

At the time, technically we weren't licensed by Sony but instead were going through EA so the fact that Sony itself was offering these to us meant either they didn't care about our status or someone at Sony messed up...

...which is likely. :)