Easier no-swap loading methods - we don't care, don't wantem

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Easier no-swap loading methods - we don't care, don't wantem

Post by Guest »

This topic comes up often in these forums, people who are experimenting
in homebrew, just starting out, often want or ask for easier methods to
boot the ps2 up, that require less work.

Usually in order to do this, requires a method that very easily could be
used to played warez backup games.

While serious ps2dev'ers would normally want easier methods as well,
they are selective in which methods are considered acceptable. Many
people do not seem to understand this.

Simply "I don't want to warez, I just want it to be easier for me, I am not
going to use it for warez" is not a good enough statement or motivation
to overcome this reluctance. Serious ps2dev'ers would rather take more
effort to bootup their projects than make warezing trivial. Serious ps2devers
are not going to be persuaded by people who make statements such
as what I quoted/paraphrased above. For serious ps2dev'ers, a little
extra effort is no big deal.

So for people who want it to be easier, please seriously consider what you
are asking. There might be ways to make it easier and still maintain the
values of the community. If one is found, there will be serious interest
here.

Just my two cents. The previous topic was locked, but I wanted to say
something to a recurring theme amongst these forums, without trying
to re-open that specific topic.

GOrim
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

My two cents: this is unsupported development for a complex platform. If you can't even get the tools running, you shouldn't be trying. If you want an easier development platform, go write Visual Basic proggies for Windows.

That said, I don't see a problem with asking how to set things up. It can be complicated, and not everyone understands every aspect of the development process. This is NOT the same as begging for a tool to make it simpler.
mharris

Post by mharris »

J.F. wrote:That said, I don't see a problem with asking how to set things up. It can be complicated, and not everyone understands every aspect of the development process. This is NOT the same as begging for a tool to make it simpler.
That's an excellent point, J.F.

I've probably done software development for at least 20 different platforms over the years (starting with an IMSAI 8080) and I don't recall any of them having such an extreme barrier to entry. It's not surprising newcomers are asking "isn't there an easier way?"

Most of them don't understand how easy it would be for something that's developed for legitimate homebrew development purposes to cross into the realm of warez, nor what a sensitive subject warez0ring is around here.

Plus much of the documentation about how to get started is scattered across several websites, and there is lots of obsolete information. For example, the "tutorials" section on ps2dev.org still talks about naplink with the messiah modchip, and using the FIFA demo disc. And from my own experience, many of the older tutorials will not build at all with the more recent tool chains.

I agree with Gorim's post -- it is very well stated -- but remember to be a little forgiving. This isn't the same is Visual Basic for Windows, and a lot of people probably shouldn't be here. But simply pointing them to this thread (or the "Official Rules of the Forums" thread) is probably sufficient.