FAT PSP USB to RCA AV out?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

someone
Idiot

FAT PSP USB to RCA AV out?

Post by someone »

Hey mod! :) I saw your tool remotejoy, and read some of your discussion on maxconsole. I am interested in a software solution for a PSP that will stream audio and video to rca cables from the usb port or the headphone jack. So no hooking up to the PC. :)

Is the hardware in the PSP capable of handling the data transfer?
Can it be done without hardware modification, solely software like drivers etc...?
jean

Post by jean »

short answer: no
long answer: no way (at least not without hw mod)
someone
Idiot

Post by someone »

yes I made this thread so a person can reply with two letters :)
Of course, I'd like an explanation :)

If remotejoy can stream video out from a usb drive, then I'd say it must be capable of streaming video out to rca cable protocol as well...

I thought the main issue was the capacity of the usb port to handle the large amount of traffic from video, which seemed to have been worked around with on the remotejoy app. RCA cable output would just be implementing this same strategy to a different protocol for data transmission.

That's my hypothesis, I don't know though.. but that's why I started this thread so I could find out from someone who does.
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

remote joy does it by streaming the framebuffer out as data over the USB. What you're asking would require an analog signal out the USB port - although some digital cameras do this, I'd guess they have deticated circuitry and just re-use the USB plug and form factor.

As for the audio port, I dont know if the DAC is high enough bandwidth to support video.

If it was possible to do in SW, without any mods, don't you think sony would have done that in a FW update, instead of going to the effort of designing and implementing a HW solution for PSPslim?
Damn, I need a decent signature!
realjoeeye1

Post by realjoeeye1 »

The usb just export digital data, remotejoy is output the framebuffer, not an analog signal.
I think the audio DAC mustn't have the ability to output both video and audio.
The audio DAC can only transfer and output 48KHz analog signal about 0~+3V, but the video signal need above 10MHz and a higher voltage, so it also impossible for the phone jack to output video signal.
jean

Post by jean »

yes I made this thread so a person can reply with two letters :)
Of course, I'd like an explanation :)
....you demonstrated to be everythig but a technician, so i didn't bother to be technical. If you do not understand the difference between a digital port hardware-tied to a specific protocol and a general purpose wide-band DAC driven one, what -for the love of god- could i ever explain to you? And -moreover- what could you develop, since this is development board?
Sorry for i'm always the bad wolf....
Torch

Post by Torch »

someone wrote:If remotejoy can stream video out from a usb drive, then I'd say it must be capable of streaming video out to rca cable protocol as well...
Because when data goes from software to the USB hardware, it is *further* wrapped in the USB hardware protocol automatically to transfer via a USB cable. Nothing you can do about this.

The PC can see the video data (its binary data, not analog anyway) because the software on the PC sees the data sent by the software layer on the PSP, not the USB hardware wrapped data.