geohot on the PS3 ...

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

jonwil

Post by jonwil »

Given that the PS3 GPU is similar to other NVIDIA GPUs, would the NOVEAU effort for PC NVIDIA GPUs help here?
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Yes, all researches about nv47 can help

But to tell the truth, for low price now, more recent graphic cards and their GPU's, for PC, offer more benefit if you manage to control them.
So there are not so many PC dev making researches for this old model.

Iron Peter & Glaurung frankly did all the needed work. We just need to focus on ZCOMP and TILE now in order to recover the last remaining 30% performance, mainly by finding a way to write data where we need in order to configure it properly.

Once we reach 100% (at least on fw<=2.01) there will be surely volunteers to adapt a high level interface similar (but not the same) as Direct X or similar (probably the same) as OpenGL.

This little lack of performance is enough to ruin any motivation...
(That and of course the fact that you need fw<=2.01 of course... Maybe for fw<=2.80 there is still hope for a little trick in order to revive RSX access but there are rumours that in fw>2.80 it has been put away for security reason -just a rumour-. So, I would advise to keep a fw<=2.01 for those really interested in competing with Game OS performance, in future. I fear that above that fw version any PC will give you more graphic power -that will be more and more true as time passes- for less investment -money and hw mod hacking investment-. So btw, a fw downgrader would still be greatly appreciated for that reason!)
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Xorloser is bringing his help in order to raise the number of people able to use geohot's exploit to dump their ps3 memory content :
http://xorloser.com/
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

Good to see xorloser back in business, PDX do so little these days ;)

Of course also just as amusing seeing the sticker on the front of the machine saying "Retail" implying he probably has at least one test kit knocking about, ahem ;)
gotama

new entry en geo´s blob

Post by gotama »

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/02/o ... -spus.html

He is my god!!
in a few weeks he opened the ps3 scene!!!

AMAZING!!
androvsky

Re: new entry en geo´s blob

Post by androvsky »

gotama wrote:http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/02/o ... -spus.html

He is my god!!
in a few weeks he opened the ps3 scene!!!

AMAZING!!
Opened up the PS3 scene to what? He still doesn't have a method even planned to run unsigned code in GameOS, and there's no way to sign code. He can decrypt games and firmware, but there's nothing that can be done with them that I can see. I'm sure poking around in the firmware will be fun, but I don't expect there's going to be a way to install altered firmware. It's not like you can run GameOS on top of OtherOS...

On another note, there should be a hypervisor dump floating around next week. What's the policy here regarding that?
gotama

Post by gotama »

He enabled us to investigate system, in order to bypass limitations enforced by Hypervisor that restrict us the access to use the full hardware.

Now we can mess around with ps3, i don´t say he hacked ps3 i say he opened the scene´s door.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

androvsky wrote:On another note, there should be a hypervisor dump floating around next week. What's the policy here regarding that?
As always, posting copyrighted material (like a firmware dump) is not allowed. You are allowed to discuss legal methods of obtaining it (such as dumping it yourself) and information gained through the study of it.
androvsky

Post by androvsky »

ooPo wrote:
androvsky wrote:On another note, there should be a hypervisor dump floating around next week. What's the policy here regarding that?
As always, posting copyrighted material (like a firmware dump) is not allowed. You are allowed to discuss legal methods of obtaining it (such as dumping it yourself) and information gained through the study of it.
Thanks. Looks like the hypervisor wiki will get updated anyway.
lotharx

Post by lotharx »

Geohot, and other people all literally said the GPU has been unlocked the entire time in all firmwares, it just needed a driver. This is for the guy why tried to patronize my post. If you don't like it go bite at their ankles, not mine.

Also dumps and dump tools have been published, and a SPU can be used for decryption of vendor content.
kevin44440

Post by kevin44440 »

Hi all,

Here is updated lv1 calls offsets

http://ps3hvdoc.wikispaces.com/lv1+calls+offsets

regards