ps2smap.irx fails to load

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Kaweni

ps2smap.irx fails to load

Post by Kaweni »

Hello,
I got my network device for my ps2 today. Ive got a fat PS2 50004, if that information matters. I set up everything on my usb stick to start the installation of linux and when i start the kernelloader, it goes until i see "2ps2smap.irx loading...". there it rests a few seconds, then i can (or can not) see other comands flying by very fast and thats it. The loading process ends there and nothing happens. Ive tried different kloaders (2.0 ,1.9 and 1.6), nothing worked.

Whats wrong? I googled the problem and i found nothing. Thats weird, because normally i can find everything to use problems with google :S

I hope someone can help me!

PS: Mega Man, i truly appreciate your work. Well done!

PSS: Ill go to bed now, its 1 am (utc+1h). See ya guys tomorrow!
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

It may be that you are using PS2-Slim settings for the FAT PS2. You can always go to the File Menu and select Restore Defaults and see if that helps.
Kaweni

Post by Kaweni »

Thanks for the answer!

Where should I restore the deafult settings? I use Free MC Boot to start uLaunch.

I cant find the correct option :D
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

In kloader 2.0 (kernelloader) go to "File", then "Restore Defaults", then try to boot.
Kaweni

Post by Kaweni »

There is the problem, KL doesnt load until i see a menu! It stops to load when ps2smap.irx is on the screen and gets loaded.
deba5er

Post by deba5er »

@Kaweni

OK, I understand now. You should move or delete your config.txt file from the mc0:\kloader directory and then try to start it. If it still fails, download my ps2linux_v0.7.zip from http://www.4shared.com/dir/10437217/89c ... istro.html and then use the config.txt --> \ps2linux\install\config.txt by copying it to the mc0:\kloader directory using ULaunchELF. It may be that you have a late model version 10 and it is being recognized by kloader as a Slim (when it is actually a FAT PS2). By placing the FAT config.txt into mc0:\kloader, you are forcing it to start as a FAT PS2 configuration.
Kaweni

Post by Kaweni »

Thank you!
Seems like kloader thought i had a slim! I did like you said, i forced kloader to see my ps2 like a fat one by copying the config fil from your inhstaller to the kloader folder. Now it started. Thank you very much! Have a nice new year :)
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

Can you please post your ROM version, because I want to fix the auto-detection? LaunchELF has a info tool for this in the misc group.
wolf1047

same problem with scph-50001

Post by wolf1047 »

what is weird is the first time it booted properly. I failed at some settings and restarted the ps2 at which point i got stuck at exactly the same spot
i could not find the mc0:\kloader directory on the memory card i even tried a new memory card but it still would not load
using freemc to load with as soon as i got the config file you posted it will now load
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

My assumption is that DVD access is not working. Kernelloader tries to read a configuration from a disc if no configuration can't be found on the memory card (mc0). This behaviour is implemented since version 1.8. So version 1.6 shouldn't have this problem (which doesn't fit to the first post, maybe there was the network cable not connected?). I assume that inserting a readable DVD or closing the tray would help. I think that also an empty mc0:/kloader/config.txt would work. The problem must be caused by the homebrew loading method. It must be a specific modchip or something like a special uLaunchELF version which causes this problem with specific PS2 models.
The problem seems to be related with the eromdrvloader.irx deadlock. If the eromdrvloader.irx problem occurs this will lead to the DVD access problem. So I think that the eromdrvloader.irx deadlock can be prevented if a configuration is stored on the memory card. The next version should solve at least the eromdrvloader.irx problem.

Update: While creating my Live Linux DVD, I found the problem. This is now fixed in the new kernelloader 2.1 (ready for download at sourceforge). The variable containing the ROM version was used for auto detection before it was written.