Linux on PS2-SCPH-30003 -FAT on usb hard disk drive 120GB?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

wisi

Linux on PS2-SCPH-30003 -FAT on usb hard disk drive 120GB?

Post by wisi »

First I have to say I don't know english very well (I am still learning it).
I am a beginer

I have PS2 - SCPH-79004 - PAL (Slim version).
I am trying to install to a USB flash memory stick - 4GB linux, using this: http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/tutoria ... linux.html
but it doesn't works.
To boot elf files I use a software boot method (not a mod chip).
I download the files (for the linux installation) and copy them on to the USB flash memory stick. Then I plug it into the PS2 and using the boot method I start the elf file (kernel loader).

First I want to ask if Linux can be installed and used on this version of PS2 at all?
Second I want to know do I need a bigger USB flash memory stick or may be a USB hdd?
While runing the kernel loader should there be a disk in the PS?

I am very confused about the files to use. If you can give links to the files i have to use it would be much easier for me.
After you say which files to use I will copy them onto the flash drive and run them on the PS and then I will write what has happened.
Last edited by wisi on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mega Man

Re: Linux on PS2-SCPH-79004 on usb flash memory ?

Post by Mega Man »

wisi wrote:First I have to say I don't know english very well (I am still learning it).
I am a beginer

I have PS2 - SCPH-79004 - PAL (Slim version).
I am trying to install to a USB flash memory stick - 4GB linux, using this: http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/tutoria ... linux.html
but it doesn't works.
The HOWTO is not for USB memory stick and also not for slim PSTwo.
wisi wrote: To boot elf files I use a software boot method (not a mod chip).
I download the files (for the linux installation) and copy them on to the USB flash memory stick. Then I plug it into the PS2 and using the boot method I start the elf file (kernel loader).

First I want to ask if Linux can be installed and used on this version of PS2 at all?
An Linux expert should be able to do it. For a beginner it is difficult. I don't have a slim PSTwo, so I never could test it. I don't know anyone, who was able to install it on a slim PSTwo. One get to it very closely. You can read this in an other thread. You need to follow the instructions in the other thread about USB memory (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=10156).
wisi wrote: Second I want to know do I need a bigger USB flash memory stick or may be a USB hdd?
It is big enough to install Linux and for trying out. When you install much stuff and use it intensely, it may be too small.
wisi wrote: While runing the kernel loader should there be a disk in the PS?
No, but I tested it only with a disc inserted.
wisi wrote: I am very confused about the files to use. If you can give links to the files i have to use it would be much easier for me.
After you say which files to use I will copy them onto the flash drive and run them on the PS and then I will write what has happened.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=223793

You need kloader1.9.elf, initrd.usb2.gz and blackrhino_baseimage-1.0.tar.gz.

EDIT: http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html Test kernel
wisi

Post by wisi »

Thank you for answering. I haven't done anything lately because my USB flash memory broke down (when I tried to format it and divide it into two partitions). So I decided to buy a "USB 2.0 TO SATA/IDE adapter" (supports USB 1.1 & 2.0). I connected it to my PS2 and to my PC's HDD and I could browse the FAT32's partition content on the PS2! So I will buy a HDD (no more than 120GB) and then I will continue to try to boot Linux on the PS2.
wisi

Post by wisi »

It was quite a while since my last post here.

I now have a hard disk drive 120 GB and a "USB to SATA" device.
Everything works fine, - using the file browser of uLauncELF on the PS2 I can see the content of the primary drive, from there I ran the kernelloader and then - it only goes to the screen where it says "Initalize RPC" and "Loading, please wait..." . It stays like this "forever" . This happens with both kernelloader 1.8 and 1.9. I don't think this is a matter of slow file sransfer. What could it be? File transfer is normal at speed when I connect it to PC. I know the PS2 supports only USB1.1. And when I play a movie from the HDD through the USB to SATA it runs right away and very good. The partition I load the kernelloader is formated as primary FAT32.

I don't know how to express my happyness.. Anyway I run the loader once again and IT WORKS! Now comes the tricky part and also the hardest one (I think) I will read the topics concerning the installation of the Linux and write to tell if I managed to do anything.

Merry christmas.

It seems that kernelloader will only work if a file has been transfered.

Here is how I do the whole thing:
1.I boot YABASIC - it enables the keyboard support (I don't know why)
2.restart PS2 - !! only restart , shutdown will disable the keyboard support
3.Autoboot some memory card exploit (I use Free MC Boot to start uLaunchELF)
4. from there - file browser ( It turn out that kernelloader only starts if previously the HDD was "browsed" that is why it froze on "Initalize RPC" .

Now I can't get the keyboard working when it goes to " /> ". When using the USB memory stik I could use keyboard.

The keyboard works with http://rapidshare.com/files/112377238/kloader.elf.html http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html

And right after I clicked on load curent configuration - it showed an error . but I couldn't see what it was because it was there for only about a second. Good thing I recorded this and it turns out the error was : "Faled to start module "rom1:LIBSD " (rv = -203)." After that a barely managed to record another error about module loaded rom1 (I already red the topic where you say these modules must be desabled). But even with those desabled the keyboard doesn't work. Should I enable the "Slim PSTwo" module?

I think now is the moment I have to say how is the disk devided. : 1 par. - 30GB - FAT32 - Primary ; 2 par. - 20GB - FAT32 - Extended ; 3 par. - 10GB - ext2 - Extended ; 4 par. - 1GB - Linux Swap - Extended ; the rest is NTFS - 51GB - extended .

On the first partition there is Windows Installation which I would like NOT to delete, thow I don't need it anymore. I planed the second partition to be the one the PS2 will be using, but it turns out It only reads the Primary part. The third (10GB / ext2 ) is for the linux dxistribution.

Should I change something?

I won't make any more attempts to install Linux on Slim PS2. I borrowed a SCPH-30003 ps2 and I am using the same HDD and USB to SATA devices. I got to step 18.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

wisi wrote: It seems that kernelloader will only work if a file has been transfered.

Here is how I do the whole thing:
1.I boot YABASIC - it enables the keyboard support (I don't know why)
Do you mean that this enables keyboard support when using an USB memory stick instead of the USB hard disc?
wisi wrote: 2.restart PS2 - !! only restart , shutdown will disable the keyboard support
3.Autoboot some memory card exploit (I use Free MC Boot to start uLaunchELF).
4. from there - file browser ( It turn out that kernelloader only starts if previously the HDD was "browsed" that is why it froze on "Initalize RPC" .
I assume you mean the menu entry for USB, because there is also an entry for internal HDD.
Maybe this has something to do with the modules for the internal HDD. Kernelloader initialises DEV9 from EE instead of IOP. This was earlier a problem with internal HDD, I needed to start kernelloader by ps2client. Now the modules are automatically loaded by kernelloader. Maybe the modules in uLaunchELF include more initialisation stuff.
wisi wrote: Now I can't get the keyboard working when it goes to " /> ". When using the USB memory stik I could use keyboard.

The keyboard works with http://rapidshare.com/files/112377238/kloader.elf.html http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html
What does happen if you disconnect the USB memory stick and then connect the USB hard disc (or the other way around)?
wisi wrote: Should I enable the "Slim PSTwo" module?
Yes, in general USB will not work when you don't use the "intrelay-direct-rpc.irx" module.
You seem to found a way to use it without. In Yabasic seems to be a interrupt initialisation, which is not part of kernelloader. I want to know if this method works when you use a Linux kernel from sourceforge when using the "intrelay-direct.irx". These kernels doesn't include the workaround for Slim PSTwo.
wisi wrote: 1 par. - 30GB - FAT32 - Primary ; 2 par. - 20GB - FAT32 - Extended ; 3 par. - 10GB - ext2 - Extended ; 4 par. - 1GB - Linux Swap - Extended ; the rest is NTFS - 51GB - extended .

Should I change something?
No, you need just to mount the correct partition.
wisi wrote: I got to step 18.
You said that you can't use the keyboard with the USB hard disc. So how do you get this far?
wisi

Post by wisi »

I decided that installing Linux on PSTwo Slim is just too difficult for me so I borrowed a SCPH-30003 and I got to step 18 without a problem.

First I will talk about what happened when using the SLIM version:

If I run YABASIC and then ONLY restart (NOT shutdown ) the PS Two, then the keyboard works with uLaunchELF and Kernelloader with no problem, but if I unplug and plugin the keyboard when it is working after pluging in it doesn't works.

I am using a USB keyboard - when I plug it directly it doesn't work, even with the "YABASIC" method ( it works in YABASIC but not afterwards). So I plug the keyboard into a USB to PS2 and this adaptor I plug into a ps2 mouse and keyboard to USB then it works (the usb KBD + adapter USB to ps2 can be substetuded with a ps2 keyboard). Here is a picture: http://wisi.hit.bg/DSC00025.JPG

Can the modules for the keyboard be extracted from a program and used by other programs? (how?).
Do you mean that this enables keyboard support when using an USB memory stick instead of the USB hard disc?
- no.

My USB memory stick is damaged and I don't use it anymore.

The method with YABASIC (also works with the Linux disk 1 from the official linux kit (I downloaded it from the Internet) but I don't use it because it it is not legal as far as I know.

I can use the keyboard ONLY with the http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html . Hard disc works.

Happy new year.

USB keyboard and other USB devices do not interfere.
I assume you mean the menu entry for USB, because there is also an entry for internal HDD.
Maybe this has something to do with the modules for the internal HDD. Kernelloader initialises DEV9 from EE instead of IOP. This was earlier a problem with internal HDD, I needed to start kernelloader by ps2client. Now the modules are automatically loaded by kernelloader. Maybe the modules in uLaunchELF include more initialisation stuff.
Yes - I mean the USB HDD.
Yes, in general USB will not work when you don't use the "intrelay-direct-rpc.irx" module.
You seem to found a way to use it without. In Yabasic seems to be a interrupt initialisation, which is not part of kernelloader. I want to know if this method works when you use a Linux kernel from sourceforge when using the "intrelay-direct.irx". These kernels doesn't include the workaround for Slim PSTwo.
no, in the command promp (when using kernel from sourceforge, "PSTwo Slim" modele enabled and "intrelay-direct-rpc.irx" and "intrelay-direct.irx"enabled too.

It seems that there is no connection between -if the keyboard works in kernelloaeder (or other elf applications) -and inside Linux it self.

The next problem with PSTwo Slim is that when I use http://rapidshare.com/files/112377238/kloader.elf.html and http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html and I get to command prompt I can use the keyboard, I USE KL1.8 with PStwo SLIM (scph-79004) and KL1.9 with PS2 FAT (scph-30003). I apologise. My mistake - so I can't enable PS2 Slim module with KL1.8. Should I use KL1.9 ? If yes, how should I configure it for the keyboard to work?

when I type: "mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 /mnt" (before that I created /mnt - "mkdir /mnt") it says: " mount: special device /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3 does not exist".

I would like first to try booting Linux on the FAT PS2 SCPH-30003 and IF I can do it, then I will think about the Slim version. Is that allright with you?

Now about the PS2 SCPH-30003 : Everything goes smoothly untill step18. I do it just like what the tutorial says http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/tutoria ... linux.html but I substituse IDE with scsi (sda doesn't works) I changed the partitions on my USB HDD. Now they are all primary and : 1part - FAT32 - the foulder PS2LINUX is on it , 2part - linux swap, 3part - ext2 - linux. I mount the first partition as /usb , the third as /mnt . Linux Linux installation goes smoothly without any messages ("15. There will be many messages printed showing that date is in the future") why?
then I type "vi /mnt/etc/fstab" and the "menu" apairs. I change hda to sda in both entryes and then I change the ext2 partition to /dev/sda3 and the linux swap to /dev/sda2 So sda2 is Linux Swap and sda3 is ext2 . Here is a picture: http://wisi.hit.bg/_20081231_0843.bmp

When I try to unmount /mnt and /usb - it says :"bash: unmount: command not found" , but "umount" works - is that an unmount command??? Another strange thing - the command "shutdown" - "shutdown -h now" - turns off the playstation. Shouldn't it only reboot?

Then I edit the Kernel parametar inside kernelloader to look like : "crtmode=pal root=/dev/sda3 ro" and load the vmlinux kernel from sourceforge and desable the initrd. But it says : "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03" picture > http://wisi.hit.bg/_20081231_0859.bmp

I installed a program on my computer that enables me to see the linux partitions on my USB HDD and manage the files on them. When I open the ext2 partition there are many folders. So I guess that means I have installed Linux.

VMLINUX.devfs works with kernelloader1.6RO on PSTwo SLIM - I was able to mount partitions!! Keyboard works! I can't believe what I am writing, but I could type "vi /mnt/etc/fstab" and the same screen showed up as with the FAT PS2! It works with KL1.9 the same way. It turns out that it only works when the PS2 is connected by a crossover cable to a computer.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

wisi wrote: Can the modules for the keyboard be extracted from a program and used by other programs? (how?).
You need to copy the *.irx files using a normal DVD reader. Sometimes the files are included in ELF files. ELF files begin with the string "ELF". When you find this within a ELF file, but not at the beginning, you can extract this part of the file.
kloader will load the USB driver from "mc0:kloader/usbd.irx" and the keyboard driver from "mc0:kloader/ps2kbd.irx". The USB driver can be compatible. I don't know if there is any keyboard driver, which is compatible other then the PS2SDK version.
wisi wrote: I USE KL1.8 with PStwo SLIM (scph-79004) and KL1.9 with PS2 FAT (scph-30003). I apologise. My mistake - so I can't enable PS2 Slim module with KL1.8. Should I use KL1.9 ? If yes, how should I configure it for the keyboard to work?
You need to use kloader1.9 and enable the "intrelay-direct-rpc.irx" and disable all other "intrelay*.irx". Or enable the menu entry "Slim PSTwo" and select "Submit above config". For fat PS2, you need to disable "Slim PSTwo".
wisi wrote: Linux installation goes smoothly without any messages ("15. There will be many messages printed showing that date is in the future") why?
Time is only correct if the CDVD SBIOS calls are activated. Old versions have these calls disabled.
wisi wrote: When I try to unmount /mnt and /usb - it says :"bash: unmount: command not found" , but "umount" works - is that an unmount command???
"umount" is the correct command.
wisi wrote: Another strange thing - the command "shutdown" - "shutdown -h now" - turns off the playstation. Shouldn't it only reboot?
No, "-h" means "halt" and "-r" means "reboot", but this will also shut it down. The function sbcall_halt() in TGE SBIOS doesn't support reboot.
wisi wrote: Then I edit the Kernel parametar inside kernelloader to look like : "crtmode=pal root=/dev/sda3 ro" and load the vmlinux kernel from sourceforge and desable the initrd. But it says : "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03" picture > http://wisi.hit.bg/_20081231_0859.bmp
You can't mount it directly, because the kernel tries to mount root before the USB scan is finished. So you need to use the initrd.usb2 at sourceforge and set the kernel parameters according to the release description of the initrd.
wisi wrote: VMLINUX.devfs works with kernelloader1.6RO on PSTwo SLIM - I was able to mount partitions!! Keyboard works! I can't believe what I am writing, but I could type "vi /mnt/etc/fstab" and the same screen showed up as with the FAT PS2! It works with KL1.9 the same way.
It seems that this special keyboard is not supported by Linux, so you need the adapter. The YABASIC technique seems to get interrupts working on the slim PSTwo, so USB is usable, because kloader1.9 doesn't include any fix for interrupts on slim PSTwo.
wisi wrote: It turns out that it only works when the PS2 is connected by a crossover cable to a computer.
The term "PS2" is used as "abbreviation for Playstation 2" and for "IBM PS2 keyboard connector".
Do you mean network crossover cable?
Do you mean the PS2 keyboard adapter (the special connection on the picture)?
wisi

Post by wisi »

wisi wrote:

VMLINUX.devfs works with kernelloader1.6RO on PSTwo SLIM - I was able to mount partitions!! Keyboard works! I can't believe what I am writing, but I could type "vi /mnt/etc/fstab" and the same screen showed up as with the FAT PS2! It works with KL1.9 the same way.

It seems that this special keyboard is not supported by Linux, so you need the adapter. The YABASIC technique seems to get interrupts working on the slim PSTwo, so USB is usable, because kloader1.9 doesn't include any fix for interrupts on slim PSTwo.

wisi wrote:

It turns out that it only works when the PS2 is connected by a crossover cable to a computer.

The term "PS2" is used as "abbreviation for Playstation 2" and for "IBM PS2 keyboard connector".
Do you mean network crossover cable?
Do you mean the PS2 keyboard adapter (the special connection on the picture)?

1. When I plug the USB keyboard in the PSTwo Slim without the "USB to keyboard and mouse adapter" it does not work in the kernelloader but it works in the special PSTwo slim kernel - http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html .(no matter is it loaded with the YABASIC method or not !).
2.When I use the "USB to keyboard and mouse adapter" the keyboard works in both the kernelloader and in the http://rapidshare.com/files/112377834/vmlinux.gz.html but only if the keyboard support is started by YABASIC.
3. When I connect my PlayStation Two Slim SCPH-79004 with my computer by a network crossover cable, and run kernelloader with the standard vmlinux.devfs and the initrd for installing linux (the ones from sourceforge) kernelloader 1.9

I use 87.97.207.11 as my PC IP Adress and the PC Subnet mask is 255.255.192.0 the other fields in the internet protocol (in Windows) I leave blank

The changes from the defalut configuration that seem to do this are: "Enable PS2LINK" , "Enable debug modules" , and the ps2link configuration settings.

wisi wrote:

Then I edit the Kernel parametar inside kernelloader to look like : "crtmode=pal root=/dev/sda3 ro" and load the vmlinux kernel from sourceforge and desable the initrd. But it says : "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03" picture > http://wisi.hit.bg/_20081231_0859.bmp

You can't mount it directly, because the kernel tries to mount root before the USB scan is finished. So you need to use the initrd.usb2 at sourceforge and set the kernel parameters according to the release description of the initrd.
Should the kernel parameter look like that:

Code: Select all

crtmode=pal
ramdisk_size=16384
newroot=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3
autostart=5

When I run it like this it says the ramdisk is too small.
I am using the kernel with devfs support. http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... D=21380922
Last edited by wisi on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
whig

Post by whig »

wisi, have you considered using an initrd? No network cables needed, just your usb storage. My boot procedure is

swap magic (or insert other)
uLaunchELF
kernelloader (*)
linux

(*) this loads my linux kernel and initrd from a pendrive - stored on a fat32 partition (first partition of course, other partitions are linux's ext2, swap). The initrd finds the "real" linux root file system, mounts it, starts it and finally removes itself.
wisi

Post by wisi »

I am using the file transfer from XLink to uLaunchELF for the keyboard to work on my PSTwo Slim SCPH-79004. Only for that. Otherwise the boot procedure is the same.

I won't try to install on the slim version anymore(or atleast I won't write about that here).

Now I am installing on a PS2 Fat SCPH-30003. But I can't configure it to run linux.
Should the kernel parameter look like that:
Code:

crtmode=pal
ramdisk_size=16384
autostart=5

I am using the kernel with devfs support. http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... D=21380922

Can somebody tell me how to configure it.
whig

Post by whig »

I'm working on the slim only, and yes keyboard is a pain. Got it going though. Then I moved on to compiling my own kernel (ps2stuff) which has its own issues. If you need any of my files for it just ask.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

wisi wrote: The changes from the defalut configuration that seem to do this are: "Enable PS2LINK" , "Enable debug modules" , and the ps2link configuration settings.
You should disable the ps2link and the debug modules. You will not be able to use network in Linux, when using ps2link modules.
wisi wrote: Should the kernel parameter look like that:

crtmode=pal
ramdisk_size=16384
autostart=5

I think 16 MB should be enough for initrd.usb2.gz, but you can try bigger values for ramdisk_size. It indeed requires 13 MB. Maybe you have written it incorrectly.
wisi

Post by wisi »

This is on PS2 Fat SCPH-30003.

I am using kerenelloader 1.9 , vmlinux.devfs , initrd_usb2.gz ,

crtmode=pal
ramdisk_size=32768
autostart=5
If I use different values for ramdisk_size different things happen. If the ramdisk_size=13312 - it says ramdisk too small
16384 - it says ramdisk too small
32768 - http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 141&prev=1 and it freezes like that

But somethimes when using the settings above ( 32768 ) it shows: http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 702&prev=1
Am I using the right kernel?

When using the special kernel for slim ps two and desable the direct modele and enable the direct rpc module is shows: http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 330&prev=1
whig

Post by whig »

The ps2stuff kernel, with kerneloader supplied patches, disappeared IRQ 42 messages for me. WRT out of memory on the initrd - mount it on a Linux pc, do a "df". I got the provided initrd from 16MB down to 7 by deleting what I wasn't going to need.
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

wisi wrote:This is on PS2 Fat SCPH-30003.

I am using kerenelloader 1.9 , vmlinux.devfs , initrd_usb2.gz ,

crtmode=pal
ramdisk_size=32768
autostart=5
If I use different values for ramdisk_size different things happen. If the ramdisk_size=13312 - it says ramdisk too small
16384 - it says ramdisk too small
32768 - http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 141&prev=1 and it freezes like that

But somethimes when using the settings above ( 32768 ) it shows: http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 702&prev=1
Am I using the right kernel?

When using the special kernel for slim ps two and desable the direct modele and enable the direct rpc module is shows: http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 330&prev=1
You have less than 32 MB, because the Linux kernel and the processes need also memory.
I believe that your file is broken or incomplete and you need to redownload the initrd file.
wisi

Post by wisi »

You are right! My initrd was a totaly differen file, there was a hudge difference in the size!
(My first partition on disk is ext2 - primary) , I use kernel parametar newroot=/dev/sda1 (with the standart kernel) or newroot=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 (fo devfs) "You need to check your /etc/fstab file for using correct path, when using devfs or not." What does that mean? Shold I change something? http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 422&prev=1

When I use the normal kernel it gets to: http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 400&prev=1
When I use the devfs kernel it gets to: http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 421&prev=1 , http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 403&prev=1

I am sory for the stupid question, but has the BlackRhino distribution got a graphyc interface?
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

wisi wrote: "You need to check your /etc/fstab file for using correct path, when using devfs or not." What does that mean? Shold I change something? http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 422&prev=1
If you use devfs, you need to change "/dev/sda..." into "/dev/scsi/...".
wisi wrote: When I use the normal kernel it gets to: http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 400&prev=1
This seems to be a kernel with devfs enabled or without the driver for USB storage.
This seems to be a normally working Linux. You can look at the directory "/dev/", if you need to change "/etc/fstab".
wisi wrote: I am sory for the stupid question, but has the BlackRhino distribution got a graphyc interface?
Yes, there is X windows (XFree, command "startx"). There were already some discussions about the installation. One problem is that the BlackRhino servers are down and you need to download the files elsewhere.
wisi

Post by wisi »

I found this http://playstation2-linux.com/softwarem ... e=354#ttop , and http://www.tucows.com/download.html?sof ... =10222&t=2
But I don't know how to install it, I tried runung the files, but it says some files are missing. I tried installing with: " tar -xzf /usb/ps2linux/xfree-0.1.tgz " before that I changed the directory to part1 where linux is and after the installation there was a folder xfree-0.1 there with the files from the package in it. How shuld I instal it?
prasys

Post by prasys »

If you want GUI , get this guy's blackrhino. Download the 800MB version

http://lamadrigueradeconejo.blogspot.co ... ebian.html

You can get it from there. It has all the things that is needed to start the GUI. Follow Megaman's guide , unrar it (it takes a long time to unrar it , as its USB 1.1). Follow everything

Then , once linux has been booted (i.e command prompt) , simply type startx -- - screen 0 PAL/NTSC , and then it should boot up the GUI
wisi

Post by wisi »

I downloaded the full version, extracted the archive, then I installed the tar file on hdd and boot. It works the same way - I type "startx -- -screen 0 PAL" and nothing happens. I can't understand the language. http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 331&prev=1 also "tar -xzf ..." doesn't work "tar -xvpf ..." works, but is it the right command?
prasys

Post by prasys »

Make sure you have formatted the hdd and then only tar -xzf (its a tar file , so you don't need to use the latter command. thats for tar.gz files only)

Do edit XGSConfig file which is located in /root , to point the mouse to the correct location first , otherwise X-server would refuse to start

do cat /dev/mouse to check if the mouse works or not
wisi

Post by wisi »

"to point the mouse to the correct location" - How? http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 183&prev=1

"/dev/usbmouse" -What is the corect location?

When I type "cat /dev/mouse" and then click a button of the mouse it writes two lines.
prasys

Post by prasys »

wisi wrote:"to point the mouse to the correct location" - How? http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 183&prev=1

"/dev/usbmouse" -What is the corect location?

When I type "cat /dev/mouse" and then click a button of the mouse it writes two lines.
Change it to /dev/mouse

Does it say unable to map blah blah blah blah blah..I am getting that as well. For now just change it , that would point it to the mouse , then you may startx and you can get into GUI. That's about it for now , till I figure it out how to get mouse to work. Most probably it needs a kernel recompile
wisi

Post by wisi »

"Does it say unable to map blah blah blah blah blah.." No, : http://wobw2ell.webs.com/apps/photos/ph ... 902&prev=1

I was making a mistake in the command line. I think this is the correct one.

startx -- -screen 0 PAL
or

startx -- -screen 0 NTSC
or

startx -- -screen 0 DTV
[/color][/size]
Last edited by wisi on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mazxim

Post by mazxim »

@whig

Can you post somewhere the initrd/kernel you actually using for the PSTwo?

Thanks
whig

Post by whig »

http://files.rillion.net/volt/

Good luck... comments in readme, reports leading to fixes welcome indeed.
whig

Post by whig »

On a hunch I switched compiler from gcc 3.0.3 to 2.95, and that cleared up a couple of kernel problems. Much better now.
mazxim

Post by mazxim »

I tried it and I can get keyboard and USB pendrive work ;-) but usb-storage was not compiled staticly in the kernel. While this might be the right choice to minimize the use of memory, I can't use kernel loader parameter to directly use the pendrive as root instead of an hard disk (I'm with a PSTwo) leaving initrd disable.

'cause I need to boot from USB pendrive, I change the root with pivot_root command, however when I exec /sbin/init - the system power off. It doesn't happen with the kernel/initrd provided by bee7 and davideciarm. What that means? I'm afraid but I'm not a power user with linux :-(

It's possibile to include ext3 support?
whig

Post by whig »

Usb devices have a problem when used as root filesystems. They aren't ready at boot - usb drives take a few more seconds to become accessible. Kernel 2.6 has the rootwait option to get around it.

In these circumstances the initrd is essential.

ext3 is counter-productive due to the writes having a journal entails, it would wear out the usb drive.

I working on making the usb statically compiled...