Basilisk II PSP Port (Mac Emulator)

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

hey J.F is there a way to get Virtual memory working ? 13 MBs is kinda little...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Dark Chazz wrote:hey J.F is there a way to get Virtual memory working ? 13 MBs is kinda little...
No. The UAE cpu core has no mmu emulation. Not to mention, if it did, the emulation would be at least five times slower than it is now if you activated the MMU.

Anywho, unless you're trying to run Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop, 13 MB is WAY more than needed for the vast majority of Mac software. If you run OS8, go into the Extensions Manager control panel and turn off all the junk you don't need. That will get back a bunch of that memory.
Dark_fang

Post by Dark_fang »

wow ms0 support i made 12 diffrent disk images each 1,474,560 i put lt into ms0:/psp/game/b2/disks/disk1.dsk and it dosent read it oh and i gave up on running 68030 68030 fpu
I m go>
<BOaRd --- jumpina-like
madrunner15

Post by madrunner15 »

ok, i love the new file thing! but when i put my .bin's for System update 7.5.3(got from the mac website) in their then drag all of them to the Stuffit expander icon it says Error -43 disk related
Dark_fang

Post by Dark_fang »

nvm cant w8 til next update do you want to spread news of build 12
I m go>
<BOaRd --- jumpina-like
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

madrunner15 wrote:ok, i love the new file thing! but when i put my .bin's for System update 7.5.3(got from the mac website) in their then drag all of them to the Stuffit expander icon it says Error -43 disk related
Those aren't archives, but disk images if I remmeber correctly.

@Dark-Fang - no. It's still a beta. You're not helping any here.
omba

iso files

Post by omba »

i made a iso file out of a 7.6 cd, i put the iso file in the cdroms directory, but i still cant get it to work
joeystitch

Post by joeystitch »

I've been lurking here a while, testing out every release, and I just want to say you're doing a great job, J.F.. Your port is more stable than the Windows one for me. :)
Wally

Re: iso files

Post by Wally »

omba wrote:i made a iso file out of a 7.6 cd, i put the iso file in the cdroms directory, but i still cant get it to work
This is not PSPhelp.com... Google is your friend.. :)

Besides... the ISO needs to be ISO9660 format for it to work at all (or at least i believe it does as thats all Classic supports)

Wally
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

omba wrote:i made a iso file out of a 7.6 cd, i put the iso file in the cdroms directory, but i still cant get it to work
Are you sure it's bootable? I have MANY 7.x update CDs that you put in while running your old OS version to update, but absolutely no bootable 7.x CDs. 7.x was still very dependent on floppies. For example, the 7.5.x OS that people recommend you get off the net comes as MANY floppies, not a CD.

Also, some of those old CDs were SPECIFIC to the Mac it came with. I have a CD that came with my Performa that only works on that specific model of Performa. If this was a CD that came with a Mac instead of a generic one designed for any Mac, it likely won't work (but it would still TRY to boot - you'd get a Happy Mac, then a crash).

EDIT: one reminder to people that we used to tell folks back on FUSION on the Amiga - these old versions of Mac OS are FRAGILE. Think of it like Windows ME. Once you've installed the OS on a hardfile, immediately make an archive of it so that WHEN the OS finally becomes too corrupt to run anymore, all you have to do is unarc the backup instead of reinstall. That's one of the major advantages of having a hardfile - easy backup. Make periodic backups as you install stuff. When something finally goes wrong, just go back one step on the backups.
RyanfromtheShire

Post by RyanfromtheShire »

Hmmm I'm on linux, and I can't seem to expand .bin files.

Anyone know of the best way for me to do this?
Wally

Post by Wally »

J.F. wrote:
Are you sure it's bootable? I have MANY 7.x update CDs that you put in while running your old OS version to update, but absolutely no bootable 7.x CDs. 7.x was still very dependent on floppies. For example, the 7.5.x OS that people recommend you get off the net comes as MANY floppies, not a CD.

Also, some of those old CDs were SPECIFIC to the Mac it came with. I have a CD that came with my Performa that only works on that specific model of Performa. If this was a CD that came with a Mac instead of a generic one designed for any Mac, it likely won't work (but it would still TRY to boot - you'd get a Happy Mac, then a crash).

EDIT: one reminder to people that we used to tell folks back on FUSION on the Amiga - these old versions of Mac OS are FRAGILE. Think of it like Windows ME. Once you've installed the OS on a hardfile, immediately make an archive of it so that WHEN the OS finally becomes too corrupt to run anymore, all you have to do is unarc the backup instead of reinstall. That's one of the major advantages of having a hardfile - easy backup. Make periodic backups as you install stuff. When something finally goes wrong, just go back one step on the backups.
I thought 7.6 came on a CD, infact it does!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mac-OS-7-6-1-Ful ... dZViewItem

I have 7.5.3 on CD too :)

Wally
madrunner15

Post by madrunner15 »

so my bins i put on a cd rom or can i use a floppy
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Wally4000 wrote:
J.F. wrote:

I thought 7.6 came on a CD, infact it does!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mac-OS-7-6-1-Ful ... dZViewItem

I have 7.5.3 on CD too :)

Wally
Weird... I might have to get some of those, but I don't think it's worth the trouble. :)

@madrunner - you need to be more specific about what you have, and what you're trying to do. Are the .bin files binhex files, or binary images? If you don't know, your first step is to find out. Can't help you unless you know what you have. They're completely different things handled in completely different ways.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

The flippin' HELL "********" and "_********" is "folder_name" and "_MACOSX". You can be really mean sometimes you know! Not everybody knows everything! and what the hell do you mean by wasting bandwidth?! Aren't we all doing it?
madrunner15

Post by madrunner15 »

JF they are binary images
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:The flippin' HELL "********" and "_********" is "folder_name" and "_MACOSX". You can be really mean sometimes you know! Not everybody knows everything! and what the hell do you mean by wasting bandwidth?! Aren't we all doing it?
Sorry, I was particularly ornery then because I hadn't had any coffee in hours and was going through withdrawal. :)

Those are OSX structures and won't work on older Macs. Well, MAYBE I might be able to work those into the memstick filesystem. I'll have to look at how OSX builds those from the pieces of the HFS files and then make equivalent code in the filesystem.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

madrunner15 wrote:JF they are binary images
Binary images would be disks of some sort. Then you break those into two categories: bootable and non-bootable. If they aren't bootable, you have to mount them AFTER booting something else to the desktop.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

J.F. wrote:
dennis96411 wrote:The flippin' HELL "********" and "_********" is "folder_name" and "_MACOSX". You can be really mean sometimes you know! Not everybody knows everything! and what the hell do you mean by wasting bandwidth?! Aren't we all doing it?
Sorry, I was particularly ornery then because I hadn't had any coffee in hours and was going through withdrawal. :)

Those are OSX structures and won't work on older Macs. Well, MAYBE I might be able to work those into the memstick filesystem. I'll have to look at how OSX builds those from the pieces of the HFS files and then make equivalent code in the filesystem.
lol I get mad when people get mad for no good reason. Sorry to blow like that :~
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:
J.F. wrote:

lol I get mad when people get mad for no good reason. Sorry to blow like that :~
:)

No problem.

I found out that Apple is just using the old AppleDouble format from A/UX for OSX. They bumped the version number from 1 to 2, but otherwise, it looks the same. I've examples of stuff stored in OSX format from Wally's site, so I'm going to give it a whirl. The only thing I should ask is do we want JUST OSX format, retain that old B2 format, or try to somehow mix the two?
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

So what are you deciding to add to the next test? Net implement would be nice, but I know how hard it is. Maybe add more file support? I tried to run some img files as CD but it won't boot from it.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:So what are you deciding to add to the next test? Net implement would be nice, but I know how hard it is. Maybe add more file support? I tried to run some img files as CD but it won't boot from it.
And if they aren't bootable or have a header I can't handle, they'll never boot. That's not my fault - it's part of B2. Also, if the PSP doesn't have raw sockets, you can count out network support as well.
dennis96411

Post by dennis96411 »

J.F. wrote:
dennis96411 wrote:So what are you deciding to add to the next test? Net implement would be nice, but I know how hard it is. Maybe add more file support? I tried to run some img files as CD but it won't boot from it.
And if they aren't bootable or have a header I can't handle, they'll never boot. That's not my fault - it's part of B2. Also, if the PSP doesn't have raw sockets, you can count out network support as well.
Oh darn... It'll be really cool to have network, but oh well...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

dennis96411 wrote:
J.F. wrote:
Oh darn... It'll be really cool to have network, but oh well...
Well, I probably could get network without raw sockets, but it would be difficult and take a LONG time. Frankly, I don't care about it enough to put that much effort into it. If raw sockets work, then that's not as much work, so it's probably worth it.
Dark_fang

Post by Dark_fang »

if there are no raw sockets can you still try to make it work put effort into it alot of ppl would like it
I m go>
<BOaRd --- jumpina-like
siulmagic

Post by siulmagic »

well to me network is not very important if i want to browse the web use the psp one or just simply use your pc, id say try and get games to synch or just finish it like it is now to me its prety much done
Wally

Post by Wally »

siulmagic wrote:well to me network is not very important if i want to browse the web use the psp one or just simply use your pc, id say try and get games to synch or just finish it like it is now to me its prety much done
or use iPhone. ;)
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Hope you're not superstitious! Here's test 13. Now uses AppleDouble format instead of B2 format on the memstick. This is the format Apple uses to write files to non-HFS format disks. In this format, you have two files for each file you see on the desktop: the first has the regular name and holds the data fork - note that this file may be 0 bytes long, but still MUST exist; the second file will have "._" prepended to the regular name and holds the finder info and resource fork. They should be in the same place - if you've gotten a zip from the 68kShrine, you'll notice both those files are present, but in different directories. I don't know why - maybe zip does that. Just copy the files into the same directory. For example, when you copy the glider files, you'll have these in the same directory:

"Glider 3.14"
"._Glider 3.14"

Also, directories can have finder info as well, so after running this on the memstick, you'll find "._files" in the main B2 directory. That is the AppleDouble file that holds the finder info for the main directory "files/". That is normal.

I noticed there is a problem with the B2 external filesystem where it won't write to the memstick. I first noticed it on the new code, so I went back to the old and it was there as well. I added logging to the code and found it's a problem in B2, not my external filesystem. I might look into it more later.

Anyhow, see how you like this as opposed to the B2 filesystem.

MediaFire
binary
source

SendSpace
binary
source
Dark Chazz

Post by Dark Chazz »

nice!!
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Test 14 - IR keyboard support! At least if you're on 3.52 or older. I forgot Sony doesn't load IRDA.PRX in games anymore. I'll add code for that on the next version. Tested in 3.52 M33-4 with Targus and Palm keyboards. Now I'm extra mad the Slim doesn't have an IR port. ;)

MediaFire
binary
source

SendSpace
binary
source