Simple Question about booting Loader Linux 1.6

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

farmatus

Simple Question about booting Loader Linux 1.6

Post by farmatus »

ive installed my Linux Kit on my HD, that means the my Linux RTE is Red Hat, and runs perfectly well, and that is ok. But with the annoying insert and eject DVD LInux thing...............

nevertheless i know the ELF, Loader LInux 1.6, can be installed on DEV 1, so I question myself and you guys about Running the Loader Linux 1.6 on DEV 1, is there any possibility get it right with Red Hat?

I know my default kernel is 2.1.1 but i dunno how to recompile a new one, because im a noob, and I come from another foreign forum, so please give me some clues......

Now I have the Loader Linux 1.6 on DEV 1, and nothing happens, because i dunno how to configure to get the Linux Red Hat works with the Loader Linux........... help me
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

I don't really know what what DEV 1 is. It seems to be a loading mechanism included in modchips. If DEV 1 only means starting kloader.elf from the memory card, then this is ok.
I have some simple questions:

Can you start kernelloader and see the start picture (as seen on my webpage)?

Sony's Linux Kit installs the kernel on the memory card at mc0:/bwlinux/vmlinux.
Can you select your kernel 2.1.1 from the memory card (or USB)?

What did you see when you start Linux from the kernelloader (e.g. black screen or any linux boot message)?

Can you provide a download link of the kernel you are using (binary elf and source code)?

When your kernel was already working, then I believe you don't need to reconfigure it. How to build the kernel is described in the README in the kernelloader source package. The description explains how to build on x86 Linux. It is easier to compile it directly on PS2 Linux. But you must leave out some steps when you compile it using PS2 Linux.

You can first try if my kernel is working when you do the first 6 steps of my tutorial:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/tutoria ... linux.html
farmatus

Post by farmatus »

Mega Man wrote:I don't really know what what DEV 1 is. It seems to be a loading mechanism included in modchips. If DEV 1 only means starting kloader.elf from the memory card, then this is ok.
I have some simple questions:

Can you start kernelloader and see the start picture (as seen on my webpage)?

Sony's Linux Kit installs the kernel on the memory card at mc0:/bwlinux/vmlinux.
Can you select your kernel 2.1.1 from the memory card (or USB)?

What did you see when you start Linux from the kernelloader (e.g. black screen or any linux boot message)?

Can you provide a download link of the kernel you are using (binary elf and source code)?

When your kernel was already working, then I believe you don't need to reconfigure it. How to build the kernel is described in the README in the kernelloader source package. The description explains how to build on x86 Linux. It is easier to compile it directly on PS2 Linux. But you must leave out some steps when you compile it using PS2 Linux.

You can first try if my kernel is working when you do the first 6 steps of my tutorial:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/tutoria ... linux.html
dev 1 is when booting the PS2 with the chip matrix and pressing R1 in the pad, then you can access into the Memory Card, with the ELF selected to run on dev 1, in this case Linux Loader 1.6

- Yes, i can start the kerneloader and i can see the first screen menu, with the selected ELF Linux Loader 1.5 that weigs about 1.7 MB, I was searching that ELF again that said something like "ps2link and the linux loader in one ELF", but I guess there is no more... the Linux Loader 1.6 page doesnt have that ELF like that unified Linux Loader 1.5....

- Yes i can select and modify the vmlinux kernel on my MC, but I really dunno how to recompile a new one, for example the 2.6.7.... or bbnva or something, i asked a guy who tell me this

http://playstation2-linux.com/forum/mes ... g_id=50669

About the USB access on my linux, I never get it to work on my linux kit , because I am a noob, and I still think the 2.6.7 kernel has my solution to this problem with any others in that version.

- When i start the the Linux from the kernelloader on dev1 I see the linux boot message

-Donwload Link of the kernel 2.1.1 vmlinux ? I guess is not anywhere to download it, because it comes with the default Linux Kit Instalation

- I dunno where the README is in a Kernel, because I dunno where i can download the Kernel 2.6.7, can you send me some link to download it please!?

I saw your tutorial and it explains step by step but with the debian distribution, so first I think must resolve to run the Linux Loader 1.6 with the Kernel 2.6.7 on my Linux Kit Red Hat flawlessly

Mega Man you can help me?

also I was very interested to get work the Linux Loader that I made this trying to understand the ELF

really i get lost trying to understand the menu, options, calls, modules, etc ..........

and check this out the message forum

http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_PS2-Linu ... ELF_961833
Mega Man

Post by Mega Man »

I would suggest to start the tutorial at step 18. But before you start Linux you need to do step 5.
In step 21 you need to know the partition number. The partition number is the number behind hda. You need to use the same kernel parameters as used by RTE. You can see it in the RTE loader or when you open the file "/mnt/mc00/p2lboot.opt". I think the kernel parameters are your problem. This need to be correct.

There is no working Linux 2.6.7, There is only a working 2.4.17. My official Sony Linux only includes Linux 2.2. I thought there was only one offical version.

The README is included in http://mitglied.lycos.de/ps2dev/kernelloader1.6.tgz

You need to do read lines 1 - 43 and 172 - 196. The README explains how to compile it on your PC for your PS2.

The purpose of the modules are also explained in this file. The most important thing which is not default is to deactivate dmalrelay.irx. The module is broken.

Some notes on the menu:
Module list: The system will start if you at least select rom0:SIO2MAN or rom0:XSIO2MAN.
The best module configuration is:
rom0:SIO2MAN
rom0:MCMAN
rom0:MCSERV
rom0:PADMAN
host:TGE/intrelay-direct.irx
All other modules should be deactivated.
Don't mix rom0: modules with X (new) and without X (old).

Best configuration is:
New Modules:OFF (no effect without submit)
Enable PS2LINK (debug): OFF (no effect without submit)
Enable debug modules: OFF (no effect without submit)
Submit above config: This menu point will change the module configuration according to the selections before this text line.

TGE SBIOS for New Modules: OFF
Enable hard disc and network: ON (when you have problems, you can disable it, then boot up will be faster)
Enable IOP debug output: OFF (you will not understand the debug output)

PS2LINK options are only for debugging.
SBIOS calls: Just use the default.
farmatus

Post by farmatus »

ok Mega Man, thanks for your help, Im gonna try this weekend, then we ll see if it works and tell you later.