The Fourth Creation Game Competition.

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Once again, I am sorry for the delay in getting the splash screens available.

As you are sure to be aware you are required to include the "PS2DEV / The Fourth Creation '06 Sponsored by Gamefreax" splash screen in your entry in order to quality for the competition.

You can get the splash screen images from http://makeshift.halifrag.com/tfc/. I've tried to create a variety of formats available in each of the different sizes to meet as many people's needs as possible. If you need some other size/format please do not hesitate to ask and I will do my best to provide it. If you need an alternate format the sooner you ask the better.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Teggles

Post by Teggles »

I have made a modification to the logo. This fits the feel of the game more than the white background.

Please confirm your approval.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Honestly I would say no on that one.. partially because there are some specific issues with it. I'm not the final word though ;P

TBH I'm kinda torn on having black backgrounds at all, as it would hurt the congruency of the entries, which was a big reason for the premade splashes... though if oobles think a black background version should be an option, I'd be happy to modify my sources and create some; it wouldn't take very long.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

in black its sexy ;)
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010
Teggles

Post by Teggles »

To be honest I doubt anyone would want the white background over the black background. White just doesn't look good on a PSP; and even if you'd disagree, you'd have to agree black feels much better.

You could just make sure everyone uses a black BG instead of white.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Teggles wrote:you'd have to agree black feels much better.
No, actually I don't agree. IMO the black does not 'feel' better, the white does; in fact I think the white looks very nice, both on a PSP and on a PS2 (especially with a simple fade in / fade out)

No only that but IMO this splash doesn't really have a measurable influence on the feel of a game... Take a look at all the commercial games that half a half dozen splash screens of various black/white or other random colors...

That being said, it seems there is plenty of interesting in a black background, so I've put one together and when oobles is free we'll go over it and at this point it seems it may likely be added as an option.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Due to popular demand there are some black background splashes now available at http://makeshift.halifrag.com/tfc/
Other than the changes needed for a black background the splashes are the same layout and style of the white background splashes, in order to keep a sense of congruency.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

Teggles, I would prefer if you stick with the designs Drakonite has done, however if you feel strongly about keeping your design, then I'm happy for you to do so.

Drakonite, thanks for doing the black designs. Both the white and black designs look great. Could people please use these designs instead of inventing new ones for me to approve.

The aim of using common backgrounds is that it provides a common feel to all the games released. If we can get some recognition from these games then we will be able to hopefully get more interest and as a result be able to offer more competitions and more prizes in the future.

Good luck everyone... remember entries must be submitted by the 19th of June!

Thanks,
David. aka Oobles.
harleyg

Post by harleyg »

I am currently writing an entire game based on an old snes game, 100% from scratch. I hope this is allowed as it is not a port, im coding all of it and i will be adding and updating it, alot.
Hopefully i will have something decent by the 19th, i really do.

Another thing, if say i did win, which i highly doubt, could i possible receive the PSP insted of the PS2 system, as i had a ps2 and sold it, so i think it would be a waste giving it to me :)
If this sounds pretty ignorant or selfish just tell me to fuck off, because i know i dont have a chance in hell of winning the competition :)
--harleyg
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

harleyg, yep.. writing a game based on an old game is allowed. As far as if you win, etc. We'll worry about that if you do win. For now just get your entry in on time!

Goodluck,
David. aka Oobles.
harleyg

Post by harleyg »

I sure will !
:)
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

Just a reminder that there is one week to go in the competition. When you have entries ready can you please email them to me at [email protected] Please include the name and a short description of the game. I will upload them all to ps2dev.org so that users can download and enjoy them.

If you would rather upload the game to ps2dev.org yourself, please do so. Instead of emailing me the game, just send me the name and location of your entry.

Goodluck..
David. aka Oobles.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

Just to clarify, what's the absolute latest a game can be submitted?
23:59:59 UTC on Monday? :)
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

The deadline is the very last second of Monday ( GMT - 12 ). That is when Monday is finished in every location around the world it is due. If you are in England at GMT time, it is actually due at Tuesday Midday your time. If you are in the US the deadline is around 6am Tuesday your time. If you're in Australia it's in the evenning of Tuesday.

Hopefully that explains it. :)
David. aka Oobles.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

When looking around at timeanddate.com I found a niftly little deal... so here is a Countdown to make sure everyone is clear on times ;)

EDIT:
Wow, I KNEW something wasn't right there.. sorry, the counter was wrong, I had it set to 1 day before the deadline >_< sorry about that ;) Fixed now.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

22 hours to go..

goodluck,
David. aka Oobles.
Heroux

Post by Heroux »

Meeku's Quest - Beyond The Gateway
Copyright (c) 2006
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
License: FREEWARE
Dowload

TEG double check everything please, I only have a few minutes to post this and I have a lunatic screaming in my ear >__> .
Teggles

Post by Teggles »

Heroux, you should remvoe it... This is completely different to the package I supplied on the forums. My menu and intro is even different. WTF?

The test Key Items are still there...

If you have time to fix it, please do so, but otherwise I guess this will be our entry. But the EBOOT background is awful. :(

Dude, most of the crap isn't even working. Ugh, this could have been alot better man. I'm disappointed ;_;
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

From the counter..

It is 0 days, 4 hours, 29 minutes and 13 seconds until Tuesday, June 20, 2006. Not long now!

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/cus ... sec=0&p0=0

David. aka Oobles.
jbit
Site Admin

PS2 Racer

Post by jbit »

This is my first release, it's using my ps2kit libraries and related tools, please read the readme before playing. Sorry for the bad coder art, I ran out of time :P

http://www.neovanglist.net/~Neovanglist ... er.tar.bz2

Have fun

--James Lee (jbit)
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

Well.. It's over. Thanks for everyone who participated! I haven't got to look at any of the entries yet.. however, I can tell you we received the following entries.

For the PS2 competition:

- PS2-Racer by Jbit.
- Space by Drakonite.

For the PSP competition:

- Meeku's Quest by illFoundedMind.com developers.
- Jump Gunnar by PSPSMM coder team.
- Droplets by Drakonite.
- PSPTris by Sandberg.
- Break-in by Callen Shaw of Omega Games.

If you sent me an email or think I missed you. Please let me know quickly!

I will have the games hosted on ps2dev.org soon, so that you can see all the entries.

Once again, thanks for the effort everyone has put in. Hopefully we can do this again soon!

David. aka Oobles.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Thank for hosting it! I didn't make it this time, but I did actually get basic graphics running for my concept, which is in a sense already more than I thought I would. :D So who knows next time, I'll continue working on it in my spare moments of free time ...

Some nice looking efforts already up here. Can't wait to try Drakonite's PSP game, looks neat.
jum

Post by jum »

Congrats to those who enetered something.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to enter this competition (been holidaying for the last 3 weeks), but I'm looking forward to the next compo....

- Jum
8 bits is all you'll ever need...
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

So post-mortem, I definitely wish I had had more time to get my graphics all prettied up... but considering I've worked on Break-In since February, I'm glad to be done.

Anyway, since others posted in the forum, I guess I will as well:

http://omegagames.netfirms.com -- Support struggling programmers by suffering through their crappy games! (Ok, you don't have to...)
hardhat

Post by hardhat »

Well, I wasn't going to post a link here for my 2D platform game, but after I submitted the project, I found a (cheezy) sound designer, so I have a mod out now:

Download jumpgunnarjump1_0.zip

And apply the mod if you want (which adds some sounds -- the default install doesn't include any sounds):
jgjsound1_0.zip
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

:(

What happened to my lovely game? Somehow its not in the entries list...

And oh yeah, by lovely I mean... not really.
http://omegagames.netfirms.com -- Support struggling programmers by suffering through their crappy games! (Ok, you don't have to...)
Insert_witty_name

Post by Insert_witty_name »

Oobles wrote:- Break-in by Callen Shaw of Omega Games.
I can see it.
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Nah son, not in the list linked to on the ps2dev.org homepage:
http://ps2dev.org/The_Fourth_Creation/

Its mysteriously absent
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

Break-in is now on ps2dev.org.

Please have a read of the description next to the entries on that page. This is how people will first learn and read about your entry. If you think the description could be said better, then please go onto the page and edit the text. If your forums userid/password don't work on that site, please put the text here and I'll put it online.

David. aka Oobles.