Question about USB connection

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

mirrorsawlljk

Question about USB connection

Post by mirrorsawlljk »

Forgive me if this is a newbie question, but assuming we had knowledge of how to access the USB port, would it be possible to program an app that would make the PSP function as a host?
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

No, there needs to be a host USB chip, which the PSP lacks.
Lego of my Ago!
wwar1ace

Post by wwar1ace »

It'd be nice to find one of these USB OTG (on-the-go) devices that could really serve as a USB host intermediary so you COULD go MS to USB hard drive on the PSP... but all of them so far just have some sort of "Copy" mode that must be user initiated with a switch. :P

-wwar1ace
mirrorsawlljk

Post by mirrorsawlljk »

Agoln wrote:No, there needs to be a host USB chip, which the PSP lacks.
Ah, thanks. I had a feeling that was the case.
PspPet

Post by PspPet »

The current *theory* is the PSP hardware is capable of modal master/host and client/slave, but the current software is lacking [a poor man's USB OTG - without the hardware to switch "on the go"]
When using a USB keyboard, it will need this support [PSP acting as a limited host to control the keyboard]. This is speculation since they keyboard hasn't been released yet.

Built into the firmware are two USB drivers, one for the main USB Bus control, the other for the current "USB Mode" (PSP acts as a USB slave to share your memory stick).
BTW: Some games have a "usbpspcm.prx" driver that appears to be a PSP->PSP communication library. AFAIK it isn't hooked into the games, but looks promising.

Once some USB connecting PSP peripherals are released, we will know more.
monke

Post by monke »

Cant the psp pull images off a digital camera that is connected to it, so it must act as some sort of host.... Right?
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

monke wrote:Cant the psp pull images off a digital camera that is connected to it, so it must act as some sort of host.... Right?
No, I don't think it can do that. At least I have to get the pics onto my PC then copy onto psp from there. But I'd be interested to hear if anyone did go straight psp<-->camera.
Damn, I need a decent signature!
wwar1ace

Post by wwar1ace »

monke wrote:Cant the psp pull images off a digital camera that is connected to it, so it must act as some sort of host.... Right?
No, it can't "pull off" images from your digicam... but the Photos feature on your PSP is set to look for pictures in the default folder created on MS media by Sony Digicams.... :) So... snap your pics, pop the MS outta your digicam and put it in your PSP to view the pics.

-wwar1ace