Framebuffer frozen after playback finishes (and workaround)

"A collection of spu programs to accelerate media related applications for the CellBE ( PS3 ) platform" - unsolo

Moderator: unsolo

zefie

Framebuffer frozen after playback finishes (and workaround)

Post by zefie »

When I use mplayer-ps3 -vo ps3 and play a video, the video successfully plays, however when the video ends, or I exit mplayer, the framebuffer will kick back to the last known text console, but will not update (cannot see anything new you type).

I tried using ps3-video-mode to switch the framebuffer resolution to 'revive' it, but this didn't work. The only solution I have found that revives the framebuffer (short of restarting) is to quickly play and quit mplayer-ps3 using the original fbdev device.

Example:

mplayer-ps3 my_xvid_file.mkv -vo ps3

(video plays, video ends)
(framebuffer returns to the last known text console, so you see the mplayer instance that just started starting, but you do not get a prompt.)

press up, then backspace 3 times, and type fbdev, then hit enter. You wont see this but effectively you are running:

mplayer-ps3 my_xvid_file.mkv -vo fbdev

You will see the video appear in the upper left corner, press q to quit mplayer, and now the framebuffer behaves as desired.
zefie

Post by zefie »

Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit my original post.

I made a shell script for those who are having the same problem.

This is just a basic shell script and wont accept any mplayer params, just the media filename

/usr/bin/mplayer-ps3-playback

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
mplayer-ps3 -vo ps3 $1
mplayer-ps3 -vo fbdev -frames 1 $1
This dirty hack will at least restore you to a working framebuffer console when you are done.
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

Issue solved in new vo
Don't do it alone.