Is This Project Alive?

"A collection of spu programs to accelerate media related applications for the CellBE ( PS3 ) platform" - unsolo

Moderator: unsolo

mattruby

Is This Project Alive?

Post by mattruby »

I've been tracking this spu-medialib project , especially forum posts by unsolo. But most of the links to the project's pages are now dead, and though this forum is still up, the last post was 4/14/08, including one that day by unsolo, and the PS3 dev forum's spu-medialib (and othe SPE) topics are even older than that. , but the SW is still very beta. The SVN is down.

Is the project is still alive, and what's happening with it? I'd especially like to see a new packaged release from unsolo, with release notes including installation directions. But any sign of life would be hopeful.
Chambers1

Post by Chambers1 »

I am going to assume that mattruby is correct and that this project is dead? It's a shame if it is seeing as how xbmc is running on linux and if it could be ported to use all spu's then the ps3 could be a real viable media hub.
You mean people actually do that?
mattruby

Post by mattruby »

Chambers1 wrote:I am going to assume that mattruby is correct and that this project is dead? It's a shame if it is seeing as how xbmc is running on linux and if it could be ported to use all spu's then the ps3 could be a real viable media hub.
Actually, I heard from one of the developers in email that they hang out in Freenode's IRC channels #ps3dev, #ps3linux and #spu-medialib . And there's supposed to be new CVS at http://git.spu-medialib.org/, but there's nothing new there for 6-7 months. Maybe if more people volunteered to actually help code, or maybe even test, that interest would encourage the developers to release more often. AFAICT, it's really mainly quality control on the current drivers, including the X driver, so more testing with different video samples (especially HD) might be a big help.
Chambers1

Post by Chambers1 »

Well that is great news to hear! I don't have much free time as it is so I can't help test so I will continue waiting patiently. But it's good to hear that it's at least still alive!
mattruby wrote: Actually, I heard from one of the developers in email that they hang out in Freenode's IRC channels #ps3dev, #ps3linux and #spu-medialib . And there's supposed to be new CVS at http://git.spu-medialib.org/, but there's nothing new there for 6-7 months. Maybe if more people volunteered to actually help code, or maybe even test, that interest would encourage the developers to release more often. AFAICT, it's really mainly quality control on the current drivers, including the X driver, so more testing with different video samples (especially HD) might be a big help.
You mean people actually do that?
ps3fanboy

Post by ps3fanboy »

looks like another group is also working on getting media working on ps3:
http://www.geocities.com/ps3multimedia/
fake? no?
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

Project isnt dead.. just a bit busy spring...
Don't do it alone.