Ripping Models from PS1 games?

Discussion on development for other consoles. Interest may result in the creation of new forums.

Moderators: cheriff, gilligan

Tindytim

Ripping Models from PS1 games?

Post by Tindytim »

The format is of no consequence as long as I can get it into some popular format (other than .max or .3ds). I've found one simply called TMD Rip, but I have no idea how to use it.

EDiT: Okay I've used TMD rip, I got a single TMD, when I tried to convert it to something else I got an error!

EDiT2: It would appear that not all games use the TMD format for 3D models? I tried using the emulator pSX (considering DX9 is necessary to use) and the DX model ripper. However I have no way to open up .3dr format, and the OBJ option appears to make empty OBJ files (and considering the .3drs are around 500 bytes, they may be essentially empty other than some header information).

EDiT3: I'm now attempting to use GLIntercept and the GL plug-ins with ePSXe to rip the models, but I keep getting errors with that. I am continuing to fiddle.

Help!?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Nearly all games will use custom undocumented file formats. The only way to find out the format of the data is to reverse engineer the code that loads, processes and draws it.

Good luck!

Jim
Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

So a ripper definitely wouldn't work?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

We don't help rip games here.
Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

J.F. wrote:We don't help rip games here.
......I'm not ripping a game. I have the game, and I'm simply trying to get information out of it.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Tindytim wrote:
J.F. wrote:We don't help rip games here.
......I'm not ripping a game. I have the game, and I'm simply trying to get information out of it.
Ripping doesn't (necessarily) mean pirating, it means trying to extract any kind of data from the game. That means songs, artwork, whatever. The only "ripping" we do here is for the purpose of learning how a library (for example) works so that it can be used to write your own software. This site specializes in writing your own stuff. There are plenty of other sites that specialize in ripping artwork, songs, or whatever from games... although finding one for the PSX these days would be a real trick. :)

If PSXScene has recovered from getting hacked, that's probably the place to go for what you're trying to do here. Now if you already have modules and you're trying to write a loader for your own PSX game, this is probably the place. :)
Tindytim

Post by Tindytim »

Well they are still down =(. Do you know any other that might work?