The video decoding project subproject of spu-medialib

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

unsolo

The video decoding project subproject of spu-medialib

Post by unsolo »

Ok guys this is a call for meeting in
#spu-medialib wednesday the 2nd of april at 20:00 CEST Duration 2-3 hours tops

Agenda:
  • -What needs to be done to mplayer / ffmpeg in order to get distributed decoding general or do we need to make it all from scratch ?
    -How can mpeg 1-2 be split into multiple tasks
    -How can H264(x264) be split into multiple tasks
    -What tools do we need
    -Who will do what Project structure
In order to have success i think we need to adapt a structured organization to also recruit more developers and inform the masses

My idea for a team layout withing the project is:
  • -ADM Administrators (responsible for arranging releases , make sure we have tools servers, handle financial if any )
    -TRAIN Trainers ( members of this team should be able to train people in how the cell/ps3 works and how to write code for it)
    -PR public relations (web,news etc)
    -REC recruiters (just get more people on the project and make sure developers have tasks they work on)
    -SPU_Team (port known algos to the spu's)
    -PPU_Team (modify existing programs to be spu friendly)
Members can participate in more than one team.

I have already payed for spu-medialib.org for the next 1 year and 8 moths so all we need are some redundant servers

If you are interested in joining this project and therby also spu-medialib in general i suggest you sign up by replying to this post
Don't do it alone.
alanine

Post by alanine »

Not sure if you know this, or if this is of any help... but there is already some work done on H264 encoding on PS3, which won some competition IBM once held: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cell-h264/
ngharo

Post by ngharo »

I've been watching your progress for months with top interest. Shit... this is the reason I purchased a PS3. I've even purchased a book on C and been browsing MIT's multicore programming primer, but, I'm afraid I'll be late to the programming party. This is my first experiance with a compiled language.

Anyways, I'm capable of helping promote things, help with sysadmin tasks, and donate resources on a dedicated server or anything else I could get my hands on.

I'll try to pop in and out during work on Weds.
d-range

Post by d-range »

I will try to join the chat and voice some of my opinions about the topic, but I don't want to get involved with the spu-medialib project yet because I'm simply not in a position to be able to guarantee only the smallest level of commitment on the long-term at the moment. I do have some idea's though from my experience with the MPEG1-decoder I'm writing.

In short, it is my opinion that starting from scratch will yield the best results, but porting small pieces of ffmpeg will yield a result soonest. I honestly do not believe in the ffmpeg source code as a good base to start from in the first place. I can elaborate on that in the IRC channel, if I make it. My own decoder is specifically set-up to cater to heterogeneous multi-core chips like Cell (or e.g. GPGPU processing, which is one of the things I'll be implementing even *before* cell optimization), and it might even be a better starting point *for someone who already knows all about H264*, and can actually *write* a codec instead of *porting it*. Problem is, my code is still in early development (I have MPEG1 I-frame & P-frame decoding working 100%, but no other codecs and no optimization yet), and I'm also unsure about the license I want to attach to it when it is presentable.

I can help people out with some general coding theory or interpretation of the ISO or ITU specs though.

@alanine
I also found that project, but from a quick scan it appears to be dead, and it only implements a very tiny subset of a full decoder. But it might be useful.
taolin

Text

Post by taolin »

Will someone be able to post a transcript? I really wanted to just listen in on the talk, as I don't have the time either to commit to anything.
firimari

Post by firimari »

I'm interested in joining the discussion as well.

If you have a non-vectorized c inner loop, I can optimize it.
As to whether the result will be readable to humans, I cannot attest to that.
joshcryer

Post by joshcryer »

Heya unsolo, I'll be there too of course. :) Sounds exciting.

taolin, I'll post a log if all parties agree on it.

See you there guys!
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

Meeting completed following group layout as of now

ADM:
-jbit (team leader)
-_Thomas (member)
_unsolo (member)
-Dascreech

TRAIN:
-firimari (team leader)
-unsolo (member)
-vacant

SPU_TEAM
-unsolo (team leader)
-firimari (member)
-vacant

PPU_TEAM:
-joshcryer (team leader)
-vacant

PR public relations (web,news etc)
-vacant

REC recruiters (just get more people on the project and make sure developers have tasks they work on)
-vacant
Don't do it alone.
joshcryer

Post by joshcryer »

Here's the log for those interested: http://rapidshare.com/files/104491037/s ... g.zip.html

We really could use more help on this! :)

Next meeting is May7th, so hopefully things smooth out by then and some progress is made.
Protheus

Post by Protheus »

Hi,

is this still alive?

spu-medialib.org

is not existing ... or does not show a valid webpage?

Protheus
Ocelot

Post by Ocelot »

I think it's dead.
ps3fanboy

Post by ps3fanboy »

yep... unfortunately there are not enough people willing to put in a lot of time into this... cell programming and video codecs is not easy stuff... you need a lot of experience... ideally pros.
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

it is not dead..
working on new more "mature" approach to scaling and csc atm..
Don't do it alone.
Ocelot

Post by Ocelot »

unsolo wrote:it is not dead..
So any progress yet?
mattruby

Post by mattruby »

unsolo wrote:it is not dead..
What's the best way to keep up with your development progress, other than monitoring IRC 24x7?

I can't help program it, but I'd like to keep up with it, testing with bug reports if welcome. I'm running Ubuntu on a PS3/60, with the spu-medialib version from January.