General Questions of People about PS3

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

f1b0n4cc1

General Questions of People about PS3

Post by f1b0n4cc1 »

at first , this is my first message on ps2dev , i wanna say hello to all users , and big thanks for your all works about ps world. Sorry , there might be any topic about this questions,but i want to add this general questions in one topic.now here is questions ,

1- Is there anyway to use ps3 for rendering files ? (like maya 's .ma ) Is there any tool for rendering like MentalRay , Renderman in ppc linux ?

Code: Select all

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25786749
this guy said he can take a render from ps3 about a maya scene

2-Is there anyway to downgrade from latest firmware to old firmwares ? Is it different between ps3 models ? For example Mine is 20 gb ntsc-j and

Code: Select all

http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html
there are diferences between ps3 models , we know.

3- Is there anyway to compile from mac program to ps3 ppc ? Or is there anyway to emulate faster them ? Which one is the fastest emulation program ? For example my aim to use maya on ps3.

4- Out of subject , but , is ps2 can be use for animation and rendering ? i have a video about sony and maya using special tool that name "ps2 tools" for realtime animation.

5-What we need now after all hacks ,exploits , ... from different groups like ps2dev , team-ice , ps3news etc. to run a iso game from ps3 ? What can not do now for this ? I mean what is the latest problem about running iso for ps3 ?

6-Can we do a render farm with connecting more ps3s with switch ?

i hope i can find answers , and i can be useful for people with this questions , thank you
theBrave

Re: General Questions of People about PS3

Post by theBrave »

f1b0n4cc1 wrote:1- Is there anyway to use ps3 for rendering files ?
If it's not open-source, no. Gamespot doesn't seem an reliable source.
f1b0n4cc1 wrote:2-Is there anyway to downgrade from latest firmware to old firmwares ?
AFAIK, no reliable way ATM
f1b0n4cc1 wrote:3- Is there anyway to compile from mac program to ps3 ppc ?
No easy way, forget it... better try to find an linux open-source program.
f1b0n4cc1 wrote:4- Out of subject , but , is ps2 can be use for animation and rendering ?
An PS2 is SLOW. You can get big-dualcore-computers for less than a PS3.
f1b0n4cc1

Post by f1b0n4cc1 »

my computer is

intel core 2 quad q6600
zalman cpu cooler
4 gb ocz nvidia sli-ready ddr2 800
asus striker extreme
ati firegl v7100 (i also have hp nvidia quadro fx 1400 )
250 gb sata hdd 7200 rpm
xclio case

my main problem is modelling with high polygon objects like 5 million polygon in maya. i can not understand what is my problem.i think i should have fb-dimm rams.Genereally workstations use fully bıffered ram.i want to know if i have a computer with support fb ram , can i work with million polygons ? later i will have a render problem , and i want to solve this with ps3
but my first problem is modelling with 5 million polygon objects in maya
d-range

Post by d-range »

f1b0n4cc1 wrote:my computer is

intel core 2 quad q6600
zalman cpu cooler
4 gb ocz nvidia sli-ready ddr2 800
asus striker extreme
ati firegl v7100 (i also have hp nvidia quadro fx 1400 )
250 gb sata hdd 7200 rpm
xclio case

my main problem is modelling with high polygon objects like 5 million polygon in maya. i can not understand what is my problem.i think i should have fb-dimm rams.Genereally workstations use fully bıffered ram.i want to know if i have a computer with support fb ram , can i work with million polygons ? later i will have a render problem , and i want to solve this with ps3
but my first problem is modelling with 5 million polygon objects in maya
I serioulsy don't see what you would want to use a PS3 for if you have that setup at home. You do know a PS3 only has 256 MB of RAM do you?? Forget about any serious end-user applications, especially heavy stuff like maya. Even if there was a PPC linux version of it (which I'm not sure there is, but there might be), it would probably already require up to a GB of RAM to load the program itself, without even loading a single model. The PS3 is not intended for serious high-end stuff. If I where you I'd just wait until Cell hardware becomes available for generic PC architectures instead of thinking to use a PS3 for this kind of stuff.

Also, please remember that you actually need to write your software to have it benefit from the computational power of the Cell. Normal ppc code will actually run much slower on Cell than on a 'normal' G5 tower.
f1b0n4cc1

Post by f1b0n4cc1 »

about maya , there is mac version on hybrid dvd. File extension is dmg.And for blender , there is a rendering project that ps3 can use , and named BURP (big and ugly rendering projet) http://burp.boinc.dk/ . i wonder that can maya use render system of ps3 like blender ?

i have yellowdog 6.0 now , and my firmware version is 2.10 Can i use more power with kernel update or custom drivers ? i know that rsx hack is not supported on 2.10
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

Think the ps3 can work as a rendering farm in linux using only spe but its a lot of work to achive that and it requires some form of open source community around it. so not very likely in near future
Don't do it alone.