A simple question

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

didymus

A simple question

Post by didymus »

First of all, apologies - I am a long time forum lurker and I (think I) know that the following question has been already answered however I'm going to ask it for my own sanity's sake:

Is there, currently, any way to play HD MKV on the PS3? ie via PS3RSX or the mplayer vo or any other way?

There's been some great work done here and I understand that people are feeling in the dark for methods to use the hardware so this is in no way a request or dig at the current state, I just want to understand the state of play - especially with some posts seeming to suggest that mkv playback is possible.

Obviously if HD MKV playback is possible then I'll jump in and start playing around - I'm nowhere capable of programming for the PS3 however I've done a fair bit of scripting in my time so no doubt like many other people I will be dead keen to start building on the great work thats been done :)
anthraxx

Post by anthraxx »

With the RSX hack which worked pre 2.10, HD mkv is possible.
Another way to get it done is with spu-medialib, see the spu-medialib project forum. But i think mkv/x264 support is still under development.
didymus

Post by didymus »

anthraxx wrote:With the RSX hack which worked pre 2.10, HD mkv is possible.
Another way to get it done is with spu-medialib, see the spu-medialib project forum. But i think mkv/x264 support is still under development.
Aaah bummer - pity I like to play games on my PS3 - I've already upgraded to 2.1 ......