The hunt for the perfect PS3 MPlayer+Freevo setup

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

unsolo

Post by unsolo »

If running from X i would suggest you take a look at the xf86-video-spu thread in spu-medialib it needs some fixing tho :)
Don't do it alone.
fedda

Re: mplayer + gentoo

Post by fedda »

fedda wrote:
keepkool wrote:from your notes
//mplayer result include exit / freezes the ps3, only accessible with ssh
#mplayer -vo ps3 -fs -zoom file.avi

are you running mplayer inside x ?
I never goes X, I boot my ps3 in shell and launch freevo or mplayer by using mplayer movie.avi from command line

I read that mplayer crashes inside X, maybe this is the problem, I hope so....
I only try to help, nothing more....if I´m wrong please forgive me ;)
Nope, straight in the command line, I have disable the xdm in init.d, "chmod -x xdm" so it doesn't start!!
Well I removed //ioctl(cd, KDSETMODE, KD_GRAPHICS); from the mplayer-vo patch, as anthraxx discovered, look here http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9187&start=30 , recomplie mplayer and now q and esc work... Now its only freevo I need to get working..

/Fredrik
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

Unless i am mistaken thats a part of libps3fb that has the ioctl inside maybe we should fix that
on the libps3fb source code
Don't do it alone.
keepkool

Post by keepkool »

fedda wrote:Well I removed //ioctl(cd, KDSETMODE, KD_GRAPHICS); from the mplayer-vo patch, as anthraxx discovered, look here http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9187&start=30 , recomplie mplayer and now q and esc work... Now its only freevo I need to get working..
Fantastic news :)
Great man, I know you can do it.....
It seems that I have luck, I dont get this strange behavior in my road....hufff, have others LOL
Once again anthraxx gives a precious tip, thanks man
When you finish your freevo setup leave here your feedback ;)
unsolo wrote:Unless i am mistaken thats a part of libps3fb that has the ioctl inside maybe we should fix that on the libps3fb source code
this is better...but dont count with me, I dont have the Knowledge to do that...sorry
PS3 - 60GB EUR - FW v1.55 + FC7
fedda

Post by fedda »

keepkool wrote:When you finish your freevo setup leave here your feedback ;)
Yes, my freevo installation, well this wasn't a walk in the park either. Following the guide http://wiki.ps2dev.org/ps3:mediacenter, everything got install, but starting freevo I got, No video mode large enough for 1920x1080. After a couple of hours of googling and testing I discovered fbset, did a emerge fbset, and ran fbset.
  • localhost#fbset
    mode "1688x964-60"
    # D: 148.346 MHz, H: 67.430 kHz, V: 59.938 Hz
    geometry 1688 964 1688 964 32
    timings 6741 264 160 94 62 88 5
    bcast true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
    endmode
As you can see, Geometry 1688x964, don't ask me why, but since freevo uses this to find it max resolutions, I change my geometry in freevo.conf to 'geometry=1688x964' and I finaly got fullscreen freevo. But of course this wasn't the only problem. When starting a divx/xvid, I got the movie running but without audio, after a litle googling and testing I discovered that I needed to change the " MPLAYER_AO_DEV = " to = 'ALSA' " within the " /etc/local_conf_py ", Then I manage to play movie with sound :)

So now I finaly got freevo running, fullscreen (Not with the right geometry, but not a big problem), and can play divx, xvid etc. I'm not 100% satified with the playback, as I can see frames not moving fast enough, will that work better in a 64bit userland?

Anyway, I need to get bluetooth working, so I can use my ps3 controllers do control freevo, is there a good guide which I can start with...

I will also create a full documented installation list of my installation, also one more thing keepkool, could you write a litle howto of howto install your freevo theme (saving me some time from google!)

/Fredrik
keepkool

Post by keepkool »

fedda wrote:I got, No video mode large enough for 1920x1080
me to, I have used 1918x1080, loose 2 lines pixels , who cares LOL
fedda wrote:could you write a litle howto of howto install your freevo theme (saving me some time from google!)
I made that for some time, and I have only a night doing that, I dont remeber all things I do, and stoped when made alpha version, Why? seems nonone see it, and I dont have to time to waste, but if someone likes, I try to get my hands on it when I have spare time and do what the ppl wanna changed, or made more flavour versions, I have already do the it in illustrator, now its a piece of cake :)

1) Download Ps3 Theme Version ALPHA 003 LOL
must download this I noted now that fonts dir is named freevo in last one, and it misses the freevo folder to

2) if I remember just extract this ps3_theme_03.zip to root / in my case FC7, else extract to a temp dir and copy

Code: Select all

ps3_theme_03.zip\usr\share\freevo\fonts\
ps3_theme_03.zip\usr\share\freevo\fxd\
ps3_theme_03.zip\usr\share\freevo\icons\
ps3_theme_03.zip\usr\share\freevo\images\
ps3_theme_03.zip\usr\share\freevo\skins\
to your freevo dir
mine is located on /usr/share/freevo (you noted in zip)

3) in main menu press KEY D, to select the ps3 named theme

4) read this threads to enable commands menu, and other things that we talk here

Note: it dont replace any file, its just one more theme, in future if you wanna delete it, just delete the files looking inside zip (no install.sh/unistall.sh maybe a next version),
I Think I worked well in that night, It seems that I prepare it well (file structure) for future changes ;) you can re-use this changed files and re-create your owns too, like a start....but freevo its easy, and very configurable, but note, I lost more time setup freevo than to create theme, and I´m only a freevo newbie, I like It, but I have few time, maybe someone collaborate, and "we" make some beutifull themes together.

When I toutch it again, I wanna will made a 1080p one,
but only when we have the default resolutions perfectly combined ;)

NOTE: If my instructions fails, please forgive me, it seems that I do that a years ago(Posted: Sat Jan 26).....but let me now and I leave my ps3 power on, and I correct and fix the package, and maybe give it some changes if you wanna....you can look at my pics, icons etc, and send me the ones that you think are apropriated for ps3 look....I dont have time to search for the perfect pics

all your comments are welcome :)

Im online 1/2 hours more, if you like leave here a repply and I try to repply before going to bed
Last edited by keepkool on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
keepkool

Post by keepkool »

http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html

I use my wireless keyboard,
but if you know how to do that,
please post an easy guide for us :)
its one more goodie to freevo+mplayer configuration,
and other uses talk about it,
its a excelent addon for freevo, the sixaxis stick
fedda

Post by fedda »

keepkool wrote:http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html

I use my wireless keyboard,
but if you know how to do that,
please post an easy guide for us :)
its one more goodie to freevo+mplayer configuration,
and other uses talk about it,
its a excelent addon for freevo, the sixaxis stick
Yes working with this right now, the problem I got into is that the Gentoo kernel isn't configured with bluetooth, so I need to create this as a module for the kernel or rebuild the hole kernel with bluetooth support. When that its done, this "should" be straight forward.

Anyway, I also got your theme installed, it work pretty good, like the reboot and boot-game-os. What i would like to see is a theme with moving pictures in the menu, like a flash menu that would be cool. Thats the only drawback with freevo, that its graphic is pretty static.

I will give you more feetback when I get bluetooth up and running...

/Fredrik
keepkool

Post by keepkool »

fedda wrote:When that its done, this "should" be straight forward.
kool
fedda wrote:Anyway, I also got your theme installed, it work pretty good, like the reboot and boot-game-os.
thanks man ;)
fedda wrote:What I would like to see is a theme with moving pictures in the menu, like a flash menu that would be cool. Thats the only drawback with freevo, that its graphic is pretty static.
I can try use animated images, like background, icons, etc but first I need to be sure that freevo supports it and what the image file format...
but I think this is the last phase of theme, only after all has been polished we may think of animated freevo theme, another thing is the size of theme currently has 1,54 MB (1.618.673 bytes), and the animated version may slow things, and increase the theme in size, and speed. I like static but if freevo supports it and it keeps quick, dont hurt to try LOL
fedda wrote:I will give you more feedback when I get bluetooth up and running...
ok I will checkout later

PS-You are the first person to view and install this theme, thanks man.
It seems that my package works without problems.
Have you any problems installing it, or just copy and it to frevo dir and works like I say?
If not please tell me because it must work this way :)
next version I include sheel scripts to install and uninstall, like

# install.sh /usr/share/freevo
# uninstall.sh /usr/share/freevo
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

spu-medialib also has a buildt in drawing feature called draw_rect intended for use with exa+composite in the future.. maybe fix that :)
Don't do it alone.
keepkool

Post by keepkool »

unsolo wrote:spu-medialib also has a buildt in drawing feature called draw_rect intended for use with exa+composite in the future.. maybe fix that :)
Are you talking about Geometry Freevo Problem Reported here? TIA
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

I was thinking more in the sence it can be used for general purpose gui rendering not necessarily implying freevo
Don't do it alone.
keepkool

Post by keepkool »

unsolo wrote:I was thinking more in the sence it can be used for general purpose gui rendering not necessarily implying freevo
thanks for the repply.....and sorry, but you already note that I dont understand many of things that you tell, because my knowledge about spu-medialib is none.....I dont know about ps3 stuff like some guys here....like you...I only setup my media center, with time and pacience, just a regular guy that try to collaborate and help, if can, nothing more.....
sorry to waste your time....
fedda

MediaCenter

Post by fedda »

Okey, now I'm getting closer to a good system. I got bluetooth working with sixaxis, got smbfs working, and freevo startsup automatic at bootup. Look at the my complete install log > http://www.fedda.no/ps3/ps3-gentoo-mediacenter.info

Spend way-to much time on this, but its fun, now I need someone to get a codec for h264 to work with 1080p, anyone?? And there must be some more work done with the sixaxis and freevo, so we don't need to activate the sixaxis before freevo starts (Freevo loads /dev/input/js01, if it doesn't exist when it starts, its to late to activate the sixaxis), also need to find out how to bind a button on the sixaxis to change the theme within Freevo.

Another thing which I'm also missing is to be able to start the PS3 with the sixaxis ps button when the ps3 its set to run Other OS..

Anyway, thats it for now...

/Fredrik
fedda

Post by fedda »

No video mode large enough for 1920x1080. After a couple of hours of googling and testing I discovered fbset, did a emerge fbset, and ran fbset.
  • localhost#fbset
    mode "1688x964-60"
    # D: 148.346 MHz, H: 67.430 kHz, V: 59.938 Hz
    geometry 1688 964 1688 964 32
    timings 6741 264 160 94 62 88 5
    bcast true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,8/24
    endmode
As you can see, Geometry 1688x964, don't ask me why, but since freevo uses this to find it max resolutions, I change my geometry in freevo.conf to 'geometry=1688x964'
Okey, I fixed this, first off all, the standard ps3-video-mode -v 5, will only allow you a resolution of 1688x964. While if you put an -f too, ps3-video-mode -v 5 -f, you will get 1920x1080, vola, now the resolutions is correct. (If you get cut-off on the screen, its you tv which are doing overscan, turn on Just Scan, then it works!!)

To get this at bootup, you have to edit the /etc/kboot.conf, and video=ps3fb:mode:133 , this is full screen 1080p, if you got other resolutions, do the ps3-video-mode -v x -f, then just run ps3-video-mode and you will see which # that is correct for your resolutions.

/Fredrik
keepkool

Post by keepkool »

Nice Work fedda ;)
...also thanks for your install log
dskw

Re: MediaCenter

Post by dskw »

fedda wrote:Okey, now I'm getting closer to a good system. I got bluetooth working with sixaxis, got smbfs working, and freevo startsup automatic at bootup. Look at the my complete install log > http://www.fedda.no/ps3/ps3-gentoo-mediacenter.info

Spend way-to much time on this, but its fun, now I need someone to get a codec for h264 to work with 1080p, anyone?? And there must be some more work done with the sixaxis and freevo, so we don't need to activate the sixaxis before freevo starts (Freevo loads /dev/input/js01, if it doesn't exist when it starts, its to late to activate the sixaxis), also need to find out how to bind a button on the sixaxis to change the theme within Freevo.

Another thing which I'm also missing is to be able to start the PS3 with the sixaxis ps button when the ps3 its set to run Other OS..

Anyway, thats it for now...

/Fredrik

Hi, i followed your log, but mplayer won't compile libavformat.a:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/skw/mplayer/libavformat'
cc  -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_ISOC9X_SOURCE -I.. -I.. -I../libavutil -Wdisabled-optimization -Wno-pointer-sign -Wdeclaration-after-statement -I. -I.. -I../libavutil -Wall -Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -O4   -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -maltivec -mabi=altivec -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/X11R6/include  -I/usr/include/SDL  -D_REENTRANT  -I/usr/include/freetype2  -c -o allformats.o allformats.c
In file included from rtp_internal.h:28,
                 from allformats.c:22:
rtp.h:24:21: error: avcodec.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [allformats.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/skw/mplayer/libavformat'
make: *** [libavformat/libavformat.a] Error 2
Any hint how to get it done?
I lack the needed knowledge to find errors in a makefile so I need some help with that. Other revisions of mplayer didn't work at all for me (I've always used latest.patch from mplayer-vo)

thanks in advance
-dskw
fedda

Re: MediaCenter

Post by fedda »

dskw wrote:
Hi, i followed your log, but mplayer won't compile libavformat.a:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/skw/mplayer/libavformat'
cc  -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_ISOC9X_SOURCE -I.. -I.. -I../libavutil -Wdisabled-optimization -Wno-pointer-sign -Wdeclaration-after-statement -I. -I.. -I../libavutil -Wall -Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -O4   -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -maltivec -mabi=altivec -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I/usr/X11R6/include  -I/usr/include/SDL  -D_REENTRANT  -I/usr/include/freetype2  -c -o allformats.o allformats.c
In file included from rtp_internal.h:28,
                 from allformats.c:22:
rtp.h:24:21: error: avcodec.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [allformats.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/skw/mplayer/libavformat'
make: *** [libavformat/libavformat.a] Error 2
Any hint how to get it done?
I lack the needed knowledge to find errors in a makefile so I need some help with that. Other revisions of mplayer didn't work at all for me (I've always used latest.patch from mplayer-vo)
Hei,

I did a recompile and I got the same error, it is a include problem, where mplayer doesn't point to the correct include files. Don't know why, but if you do the following thing you will get mplayer compiled!

mplayer#find |grep -i avcodec.h
./libavcodec/avcodec.h
mplayer#cd libavformat
libavformat#nano rtp.h
"" change following include ""
#include "avcodec.h" 
"" to ""
#include "../libavcodec/avcodec.h"
"" save and quit ""
#libavformat#make 
After this, you will also see that next file aslo fails, so you have to repeat the same progress again for the next error (it's a lot of them!!)

And when you have compiled everything in #libavformat do a cd .. and write make again, you will see another file in libavcodec which also has a include problem, do the same thing here, when you get everything compiled to a "mplayer#make install"

Maybe there is a easier way to do this, but I'm not a coder, just a scriptie guy..

by the way, use the link to http://www.badedammen.org/ps3/ps3-gento ... enter.info for my install log, going on vacation and the server fedda.no also taking vacation!!...

/Fredrik
fedda

firmware 2.17

Post by fedda »

If anyone thinking about upgrading to firmware 2.17, I upgrade my system, and Linux, freevo, bluetooth etc, all worked as it did before the upgrade..

/Fredrik
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

I need help in spu-medialib with video decoding management web pages etc...
if you care to do anything else than use the end results. :)
Don't do it alone.
keepkool

Re: firmware 2.17

Post by keepkool »

fedda wrote:If anyone thinking about upgrading to firmware 2.17, I upgrade my system, and Linux, freevo, bluetooth etc, all worked as it did before the upgrade../Fredrik
great news Fredrik :)
and also thanks for your support in this thread :)
I prefer to keep my in its original 1.56 for now.... :)
keepkool

Post by keepkool »

unsolo wrote:I need help in spu-medialib with video decoding management web pages etc...
if you care to do anything else than use the end results. :)
I do a lot of webdesign for a long time ago, since 1999,
Its my current job, and I always develop my own solutions :)
If you like I can send you by PM some webpages that I made in this years.....and if you like I can made one for you, but first you tell me what type of page you want, and What type of forms do you want in backoffice....next weak I will made 10 more for my clients and I can made you one, The solution is perfect for documentation, it has previleges access like linux (user+groups), multilingue (Utf8) etc......
the problem is the web backoffice that its not finished yet, and the backoffice that I use made by me is a .exe but is in Portuguese.....
but if you wanna a simple page I do a web backoffice to edit rss, pages and news when I have Time

You know If I can Help, I Help :)
You already note that I dont know ps3 like some of guys here, but I dont have time for that, I´m happy with freevo+mplayer and I only use my ps3 for media player, but I can help in other sides ;)
Dannydeman

Post by Dannydeman »

Thank god for a topic like this :) Since I am kind of a Linux noob (only have some experience with Ubuntu textmode for setting up a Lamp or a Samba server and stuff like that) I have a few questions before I go into this little Linux adventure..

Yesterday I bought a PS3 for the same reason as the topicstarter. I just want a nice mediacenter which can handle new [HD media and upscales Divx to 720P (I have a HD ready TV). Since I use XBMC for a few years now it´s hard to try something else, but I think it will be better eventually because of the better quality..

Whats the best for me to do first? I was thinking to install Ubuntu first of course, but I heard some good things about Xubuntu? After that, do I need to install Mplayer I guess? And then Freevo?

Also, can you setup FTP to the PS3 Linux system? Or do you guys use external harddisks for your movies?

Also, can someone give me some links to the packages I will need?

Hopefully it is doable for a Linuxamateur like me :) I realy want a nice PS3 mediacenter with the cool Freevo skin ;)
keepkool

Post by keepkool »

Dannydeman wrote:Thank god for a topic like this :)
Since I am kind of a Linux noob (only have some experience with Ubuntu textmode for setting up a Lamp or a Samba server and stuff like that)
belive me, I´m not a Linux Guru
Dannydeman wrote:which can handle new HD media and upscales Divx to 720P
Where do you read that handle HD Media? are you talking 720p only or 1080p too
Dannydeman wrote:Whats the best for me to do first? I was thinking to install Ubuntu first of course, but I heard some good things about Xubuntu?
distros its like womens, I like a flavour, maybe you like other, not a easy answear, I like fedora and suse, but in PS3 i goes to Fedora
Dannydeman wrote:After that, do I need to install Mplayer I guess? And then Freevo?
please read this and other threads first, its not an easy task, and its not install distro and install mplayer and freevo and presto,
you must prepare your ps3 to compile all stuff, install libs, sdk, spu-medialib etc
Dannydeman wrote:Also, can you setup FTP to the PS3 Linux system? Or do you guys use external harddisks for your movies?
its a linux server, you can install the services you want like ftp, samba, apache, ssh....
Dannydeman wrote:Also, can someone give me some links to the packages I will need?
first read this thread and fedda´s install log etc

good luck and prepare for a little "battle" ;)
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Does anyone have any experience with the latest version of Megabox? A coworker of mine wants to install it:

http://www.megalandia.com/es/
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Arwin wrote:Does anyone have any experience with the latest version of Megabox? A coworker of mine wants to install it:

http://www.megalandia.com/es/
It's big now... too big for a 2GB USB stick. It's come a ways from the first version, which was roughly 50 MB. I think some folks are getting carried away with stuff to stick in it. I need to try it on a DVD to see how it works... I didn't try it since it was larger than my 2GB USB stick.
unsolo

Post by unsolo »

Fedda i would very much appriciate to get a mail or something with such bugs as the KD_GRAPHICS..

anyhow new spu-medialib vo is out now.. that works as a normal user in video group.. and no dep to libps3fb

cheers
Unsolo
Don't do it alone.