After update, dvd rom drive gone.[F7, PS3]

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Glas

After update, dvd rom drive gone.[F7, PS3]

Post by Glas »

Hi to all.

I know, this is not the right forum, but maybe someone can help me, because I slowly lose my hope.

The problem is the following:

Fortunately, the linux installation on my ps3 went well now, but the dvd rom drive disapeared.
I installed Fedora 7 and updated the kernel with the Add-On CD for the 2.10 ps3 Firmware.

This means, the new kernel is installed(2.6.23) which supports rebooting and shutting down the ps3.

But, yesterday I made an update via yum with

Code: Select all

yum -y update

but placed this into yum.conf

Code: Select all

xclude=kernel blas oprofile numactl blas-devel kernel-headers blas-debuginfo

Unfortunately, I wrote xclude instead of exclude.
How ever, I did the update and it updateded a lot. Also a new kernel is installed.
But, fortunately the old kernel was still signed in the yaboot.conf, so I was just able to load the correct 2.6.23 Kernel. But what happend to the dvd drive?

In /dev there is no dvd folder or file...

Can I anyhow reinstall or reload the ps3 dvd storage driver, like I did in the Fedora 7 installation process?

I'm very new to linux, so sorry if this is a very basic question...

Thanks
Alex
d-range

Post by d-range »

I haven't used the DVD drive from linux yet, but most likely it registers as /dev/scd0 or /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/targetX/lunY or something like that, or just as /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc. Check dmesg output and find the line that identifies the DVD drive to know for sure.
Glas

Post by Glas »

Hi and thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I dont know what exactly you mean by "dmesg output"...

And the other thing is, I installed Fedora 7 via dvd. And the update cd was also a cd. I accessed it in the console via /media/SONY....
But after updating via yum, it disapeared.

Thanks
Alex

#edit#
Ahh, sorry, found what dmesg is...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmesg
#/edit#
Glas

Post by Glas »

Hi d-range.

Ok, I found a /dev/scd0.

Does this mean, the dvd drive is there?! But how can I activate it?
And furthermore, how can I activate it within the gui?

Thanks
Alex
audi100quattro

Post by audi100quattro »

Fedora 7 should be using hal to open the file manager when you insert a USB stick or a dvd, if not, put: '/dev/scd0 /mnt/dvd auto noauto,ro,user' in /etc/fstab and create a device shortcut to the dvd on the desktop which you can open anytime you insert a dvd. I'm not sure how exactly to create the shortcut in gnome, or if something starting with /dev/scd0 is already in /etc/fstab.

From the command line try 'mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/dvd' as root where /mnt/dvd is a directory you might have to make by 'mkdir /mnt/dvd' again as root.