Snes9x problem and VLC

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

mmmmthrice

Snes9x problem and VLC

Post by mmmmthrice »

Okay.

I recently did a text install of YDL (yellow dog linux) on my 80gb ps3 on my SDTV. Everything went well until I got to the Xautoconfig rpm install and it said that there was a "failure of name resolution." I spent a half an hour on this and gave up. I was connected by ethernet cable... but it wasn't working even with a usb drive. Anyways, I finished up the install and YDL seemed to be installed fine (except for the awful resolution).

After that I tried to install VLC player with "yum install videolan-client," it went through the process and seemed to work until the end where there was an error and VLC wasn't available in applications>sound and video.

Secondly, I tried to install snes9x with "yum install snes9xexpress." It installed correctly, but then I was told to do "cd /root/Desktop/snes" and then press "./configure && make." I did this but after configure it said that "configure" was not a directory. I then opened snes9xexpress through games and set my roms directory and the folder where the snes9x app file was. When I hit rom selector it said it couldnt find any roms even though there were over 100 there.

Also when I did "power," an error came up saying "could not open binary file" or something like that, and "error code 126." Lastly, I connected my sixxas controller via usb and then selected controllers in snes9x and map buttons, but it did not recognize it.

Any help on any of this would be great. VLC isnt as important, but I do want to work my emulator.
Matrixdub

Post by Matrixdub »

Lemme get this right-You want to play snes games on a >£300 games console?
mmmmthrice

Post by mmmmthrice »

I'd like some help with my linux problem. I'm in the "PS3 Linux Development" section, not the "Unnecessary Snide Comments" sections. I want to play snes games and ps3 games and internet and music and videos and pictures and an operating system, thats why I paid a lot for it.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

While Matrixdub's comment was unnecessary and snide, I also think you're probably not going to get much of an answer here, because as you noted the section is "PS3 Linux Development" not "PS3 Linux End-user Support".

That said, your "name resolution" error might be because of a missing or misconfigured /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/hosts.
tuna74

Post by tuna74 »

Wouldn't it be better to ask these questions at YDL's forums?