Amiga Os 4.0 on PS3

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

mitran

Amiga Os 4.0 on PS3

Post by mitran »

Hi most of you at theis site dose know of amiga os :P perhaps even run it on some sytem .

As Amiga Os 4.0 is 100% in PPC code even Amiga os 4.0 for the Amiga1200,3k and 4k) is 100% in PPC code it bypasses the 68k CPU after the first boot.
knowing that any PPC based Linux boots on the ps3 , Amiga os 4.0 whuld aslo boot if it had the proper Bootloader ?
How much work do you think it will be too
A. implement PPC support in E-UAE and ther for get "warpos" suport in (amiga os 3.5-3.9)
B. Geting amiga os4 too boot under E-UAE (PPC Emu runing on PPC)
C. Geting Amiga os too boot "native" from game os ( making a "otheros.bld" that boots amiga os4 in the same way as it boots _Linux)

you might think why work so hard in order too boot a dead os on the ps3 ,
some reasons .
A. amiga os4 did run fast as hell on my Amiga one G3 @800 Mhz 256 meg ram and Voodoo 3/ ATI Radeon 7xxx. (Quake 1 68k/PPC - SW-render >200 FPS Quake 2 > 120-160 Fps ((60 fps @ 1200x1024 soft+hw render ))
so on a PPC ( PPU) runing at 3.2GHZ it will be so fast you even must imploment a slow mode lol .
It dose also have extreamly good "JIt-emulator " for 68k apps and its probly 5-10 times faster to run any 68k app then on an native 68060 even on the 603e @160 mhz 64 megs ram and a grafixcard ca 1994 runs 68k code faster then any 68k CPU .
(according to hyperion (devs of aos 4.0 ) Aos 4.0 runs 68k 2-times as fast on a 160mhz 603e+ 128 meg ram then on a 68060@60mhz 128 mewg ram )

I did render lots of stuff on Cinema and other 68k apps at the same speed as Belnder dose on Linux - fedora core 6 runing on the ps3 - :/. ( 800mhz G3 -> 3.2 GHZ Cell ? )
so ther for i think runing Amiga os 4.0 on will be realy fast even if the system only has 196 megs ram
( under linux i only have 196 meg ram of the 256).
But amiga os4.0 is made to run on a system <100 meg ram GPU ca 1996 or even if slow AGA ca 1992 2 megs of grafikram ) no linux (GUI based linux ) runs fast < 100 megs ram .
and ther is lots of PPC apps runing on amiga os 4.0 and tons of good 68k apps
:D
so what do you think is to much work to get it to run ?
( the fevs of aos4 want to bring aos 4 to the ps3 but cant cos of leagal reasons )
sorry for my bad speling and english
mitran

Post by mitran »

wowawiwa over 130 that did open but non did reply :(
is the subject taboo ?
hyperion says so , even if thay want to bring aos 4 onto ps3.
to bad i dont have the $$$£££ inorder to give a bounty for the project nor do i have the skill in order to do my shelf.
Having big trubbel just to get Blender not crash X
realy strange it craches X random and it some times freez the entier sytem when i exit blender .
( might be yafray )
cos i have "lots" of ram left when it gose down .
anyways realy love the work you ppl do here .
cloudhunter

Re: Amiga Os 4.0 on PS3

Post by cloudhunter »

mitran wrote:I did render lots of stuff on Cinema and other 68k apps at the same speed as Belnder dose on Linux - fedora core 6 runing on the ps3 - :/. ( 800mhz G3 -> 3.2 GHZ Cell ? )
The reason it seems slower, is because PS3 doesn't really have any hardware acceleration - yet. Also, blender won't be coded to take advantage of the SPU's.

I agree that Amiga OS would be good on the PS3 - I'm a die hard Amiga fan - but accept that it probably won't happen.

A shame, really.

Cloudy
:)
JuSho

Post by JuSho »

cloudhunter wrote:
mitran wrote: ...
I agree that Amiga OS would be good on the PS3 - I'm a die hard Amiga fan - but accept that it probably won't happen.

A shame, really.

Cloudy
I think it won't happen. If they (OS4 devs) stay that inflexible as they are, they will never get it to the PS3 - heck, it could have been done by now.

Take a look at AROS, maybe someone can take the PPC (and now AROS64) branch and create a PS3 bootstrapper.
mitran

Post by mitran »

cloudhunter wrote:
The reason it seems slower, is because PS3 doesn't really have any hardware acceleration - yet. Also, blender won't be coded to take advantage of the SPU's.

A shame, really.

Cloudy
true , wat do you thing about implementing "PPC souport "in E-UAE
(right now runing amiga os 3.9 on the ps3 @-> 680040 speed + picasso 96 leagal even have os rom leagal)
so making PPC suport in E-UAE is it hard?
as i did say i am not a programmer I am a art type of person . and realy in need pf speed lol .
mitran

Post by mitran »

JuSho wrote:
cloudhunter wrote:
mitran wrote: ...

A shame, really.

Cloudy
I think it won't happen. If they (OS4 devs) stay that inflexible as they are, they will never get it to the PS3 - heck, it could have been done by now.

Take a look at AROS, maybe someone can take the PPC (and now AROS64) branch and create a PS3 bootstrapper.
AROS ? is ther realy any PPC code for that ?
I think it won't happen. If they (OS4 devs) stay that inflexible as they are, they will never get it to the PS3
lol yes , over at amigaworld.net some one did a post on that forum , "bring os 4 to Wii 360 Ps3"
he didi even want to start a bounty inorder to get programmers start work , make mony and "port" Os4, however one of the os4 devs did reply no you shuld not start a bounty its ileagal .
to port os4 if wee dont do it no one dose .
so yep thay are stuborn as donkies .
BUT AN PPC emulator cent be ileagal can it if i the user has the leagal roms ? and a leagal OSit cant be ileagal .
anywas the Ps3 needs a os < 1 Gig and that only needs 128 mb ram to work "fast" a smal os .