Reset text console?

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Mihawk

Reset text console?

Post by Mihawk »

I have the problem that after a program crash my program returns to the console but I can't see anything. That means my program switched to graphics mode, crashed and the screen looks like it's frozen but I know that I'm back on the console as I can type commands and stuff. So my question is: is there some command or key combination which lets me to somehow reset the console, so I don't have to reset my ps3 after each crash, cause that happens quite often sometimes when testing and debuging ;)
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Have you tried either Ctrl-L or (if you can still type) running 'reset'?
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

Depends on why you can't see anything. If for example it's because you did a PS3FB_IOCTL_ON and the kernel is no longer flipping the screen buffer, you should be able to write a program that just does PS3FB_IOCTL_OFF to fix it.
Mihawk

Post by Mihawk »

jimparis, that makes sense... and works. Thanks!

jonathan, Ctrl-L and 'reset' didn't work. Thanks anyway ;)
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

jimparis wrote:Depends on why you can't see anything. If for example it's because you did a PS3FB_IOCTL_ON and the kernel is no longer flipping the screen buffer, you should be able to write a program that just does PS3FB_IOCTL_OFF to fix it.
You might also like to use signal() to catch various error conditions (such as ^C, SEGV, etc) and reset the screen in your signal handler before exiting. This is more complicated but ensures your program can't quit and leave things in a bad state.