file transfer

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

munna_dude

file transfer

Post by munna_dude »

hi all
how can i transfer a file from one system to other
i am using F5 AMD
i tried like this

scp FILE REMOTE
Replace FILE with the path to the file you want to copy, and REMOTE with the system you want to copy it to.

by this can i post my file of any size from my systsem to others
i wanna send a file to one linux system to other linux or windows system

what to do?

can you please give me an example i would like send a file (transfer) by emailid

please help me
thank you in advance
ralferoo

Post by ralferoo »

You really want to find some tutorial on basic Linux usage given the nature of your last two posts (especially as it's way off topic for this forum), but yes, the example you gave works fine.

Code: Select all

scp file user@machine:
for example copies the file named "file" to the account for the user named "user" on the machine named "machine". It works, I do this regularly to back up stuff from my PS3 to my main machine.

If you want to copy to/from a windows machine, I'd suggest you download WinSCP and initiate everything from the Windows machine, as that's the path of least resistance from the windows side.

Sending files by e-mail is fairly simple, but assumes that your system has mail set up correctly. In your case, I strongly doubt this, so I'd suggest you stick to using scp. Or buy a book on Linux.

Receiving files by e-mail is trickier unless you are using a GUI. You will probably want to install a mail client like elm or pine for use under the console. Again, you'll need to set up your machine properly to do this; I'd suggest for PS3 development this isn't worthwhile as it doesn't really make sense to be using the PS3 as a replacement for a computer when developing on it.