Ubuntu install using Live CD

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Ciego

Ubuntu install using Live CD

Post by Ciego »

I posted a HOWTO guide for installing Ubuntu on the PS3 using a Live CD if you are interested.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=343113
edepot

reading memory stick off of psp

Post by edepot »

If you plug a memory stick inside a psp and then connected it to the PS3, and activate the usb connection on the PSP, what commands did you have to execute in order to mount and get access to the memory stick?

how do you check after, say you execute a dmesg and get some info from there? do you need to mount anything?
Ciego

Post by Ciego »

If you plug a memory stick inside a psp and then connected it to the PS3, and activate the usb connection on the PSP, what commands did you have to execute in order to mount and get access to the memory stick?
I will have to try this to confirm when I get home (at work now) but I think that if you turn on the PSP and activate the USB connection (do this before you boot into linux so that the boot process can detect it), you can figure out which drive it is and then mount in normally. Try this ...

Code: Select all

$ fdisk -l
That should list everything that is detected by the system. You should see a drive that is close to the same size as your memory stick. I am guessing that it will be "sdd" as the label. If that is the case, just use this to mount it.

$ mkdir /mnt/psp 
$ mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/psp
In order to see if that worked, do this ...

$ls /mnt/psp
If nothing happens ....it didn't work. ;-)

If you want, you can change the "psp" to "usbdrive" to make it easier on you following the tutorial
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

On Ubuntu, USB mass storage devices should mount automatically. (check the configuration of hald and gnome-volume-manager if they don't). There's nothing specific to the PS3.
Ciego

Post by Ciego »

jimparis wrote:On Ubuntu, USB mass storage devices should mount automatically. (check the configuration of hald and gnome-volume-manager if they don't). There's nothing specific to the PS3.
Jim is correct here. I assumed before that you were trying to mount the PSP as the USB drive that is described in the guide. (before Ubuntu boots)
theBishop

Post by theBishop »

Heh, you post here too Ciego?

I must admit i'm a little jealous that you took my idea, made a tutorial out of it and became the defacto Ubuntu-on-PS3 guy. No hard feelings though.

:)

Anyway, Candell has us both beat.
Ciego

Post by Ciego »

Hey, good to hear from you again.

You should check out PSUbuntu.com and register for the forums. I am trying to write all kinds of HowTo guides for new Linux users. I am sure you could add some useful guides.

Anyway ... it's not about who did what first. You had a great idea that helped many people get Ubuntu to work on their PS3s ... that's what its all about. I am sure that you know much more about Linux than I do ... I just put all of the info in a form that anyone could chew up and digest.
theBishop

Post by theBishop »

Ciego wrote:Hey, good to hear from you again.

You should check out PSUbuntu.com and register for the forums. I am trying to write all kinds of HowTo guides for new Linux users. I am sure you could add some useful guides.

Anyway ... it's not about who did what first. You had a great idea that helped many people get Ubuntu to work on their PS3s ... that's what its all about. I am sure that you know much more about Linux than I do ... I just put all of the info in a form that anyone could chew up and digest.
Thanks for the link, it looks like you have the start of a nice page there.

I haven't messed with PS3 linux/development in a few weeks, but I just got a monitor with DVI/HDCP support so i can work more naturally at my computer desk. Its a minor change, but hopefully, it'll motivate me to do some serious work.
Ciego

Post by Ciego »

Actually, it is not my page. I just started posting/sending info so much that the owner gave me a blogging account so that I could post on the front page. I thought it looked like a good place to keep PS3-Ubuntu related info all in one place.

I do not really do programming, but if you need help testing any of your PS3/Linux work, I would be glad to help. I bet it makes a big difference with that monitor. I ended up going out and buying a 1080p HDTV because i got tired of looking at the SD mess that you end up with in Linux on the TV