OpenGL for Linux

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Shine

OpenGL for Linux

Post by Shine »

You can use OSMesa for OpenGL on the Playstation 3. Install it in your Linux installation like this:

Code: Select all

download MesaLib-6.5.2.tar.bz2, MesaGLUT-6.5.2.tar.bz2 and MesaDemos-6.5.2.tar.bz2 from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3
tar -xjf MesaLib-6.5.2.tar.bz2
tar -xjf MesaGLUT-6.5.2.tar.bz2
tar -xjf MesaDemos-6.5.2.tar.bz2
cd Mesa-6.5.2

make realclean
make linux-osmesa
make install
ldconfig
This is the well known Gears example, slightly modified for OSMesa and the PS3. It draws some animated gears and needs ca. 5.6 ms for one frame. A screenshot:

avalonakira

Then What?

Post by avalonakira »

I'm just wondering ,then what are you going to do with it?
Shine

Re: Then What?

Post by Shine »

avalonakira wrote:I'm just wondering ,then what are you going to do with it?
I'm trying to port Lua Player platforms, which supports OpenGl, so this was one requirement. Sound works already and there is a driver for the controller, so now I need some time, only, and the new Lua Player will be ready.
popper

Post by popper »

just a bump
on this, and to ask, did you or anyone start to make a fast blitter etc for this GL or infact start to patch in Altivec code to speed it up for general use?.

theres also directly using the spe's if you want to ignore the general PPC/Altivec codebase,but it would be nice if it get improvements for all PPC linux platforms not just cell.

i beleave there was an idea to use SDL i think and patch it to use some of the spe's but that seems a bust now as theres not been any new commits in a month.
https://ssl.keshi.org/projects/ps3/trac ... /SDL/trunk

if you can find him/her then you might be able kickstart that project again or just start affesh seeing it doesnt seem anything of real value made it to there yet.
popper

is this thread dead ?

Post by popper »

its a shame if this thread doesnt progress as it seems people are hungry for working code to see and try....
androvsky

Post by androvsky »

Does no one else know about mesa's OpenGL on Cell project?

http://www.mesa3d.org/cell.html

Word has it the April build of the driver was broken, and I don't know if anyone's worked on it since. I've had a really hard time trying to build it on Ubuntu; I'd start a thread about it but I've never had much time to devote to it. It's part of the new gallium infrastructure, and I think the Cell driver is pretty much on hold until they get llvm integrated.

According to the dev's mailing list, the code is terribly unoptimized. Maybe the rest of the community would like to take a break from trying to crack the RSX and help with a project that has a known path forward?