Meas 7.5 with Gallium3D or DirectFB

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

kengreen

Meas 7.5 with Gallium3D or DirectFB

Post by kengreen »

There is a new version of Mesa 7.5 with Gallium3D and an improved cell driver available, http://mesa3d.org/relnotes-7.5.html. Also there has been some work on a cell driver for DirectFB at code.google.com/p/ouros. Perhaps someone could check these out and indicate how close we are to accelerated video on the PS3.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Both those still need quite a bit of work, and neither will do much for video playback.

For HD video, faster h264 CABAC decoding is what is needed.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

The main point ISN'T video - it's some form of accelerated 3D. Right now, you can't even play Quake3 on the PS3, and that's what's putting off more people from using OTHEROS on their PS3. Personally, I don't use linux on the PS3 very often either for that exact reason - if I can't play Neverball or Neverputt or Scorch3D, it's just not worth switching over.
ouasse

Post by ouasse »

I just tested the mesa driver. glxgears runs at 75 fps (20 fps without Cell driver).

I tried running gltron : Almost nothing is displayed, except the ground. All the rest of the objects are black. The animation looked relatively smooth, though (maybe 25 or 30 fps).

It's a good start, but a lot of performance improvements have to be done, and it seems not all opengl shading types are handled yet.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Well, it's getting there. :)