Xubuntu 9.04

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

J.F.

Xubuntu 9.04

Post by J.F. »

With the release of Ubuntu 9.04 and it's derivatives, I've once again downloaded the community maintained PS3 version.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports ... y/release/

You'll find "xubuntu-9.04-alternate-powerpc+ps3.iso" and the torrent for that iso a little way down the page.

So how does this version stack up? Quite well. I had already installed Xubuntu 9.04 for the AMD64 on my main system, and for the i386 on my CoreDuo system. The PS3 version installs without a hitch and runs just like the regular Xubuntu. So far I haven't seen anything to make me aware that I'm on a PS3 as opposed to a regular PC... and that's a good thing. The OS is something that shouldn't be noticeable. If you're used to using Xubuntu on your PC, you should have no trouble using it on the PS3. I was previously using Fedora 9, and it was not nearly as nice as this. The repository has most all your favorite programs. Audacious, mplayer, snes9x... even the IBM 3.0 Cell SDK and dev tools. Just pull up Synaptic like normal, click on the packages, and click Apply.

I use the ethernet for my connection, so I'm not sure how the WiFi works. I also haven't tried the BlueTooth on it either. Then again, I just installed it today and haven't had much of a chance to try various things yet. :)