spu isolation mode

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

haubke

spu isolation mode

Post by haubke »

hello everybody ps3 lovers uhmm.....

i cant believe we still cannot acces the gpu. i wanna make 3d games!!!
i was reading true some files at ibm.
there is alot of information about the spu in isolation mode .
now they say you could have multiple spu's in this mode.
everybody knows that the most important key is inside the hardware itself. or in other words the root key. now my question is can we put another spu in isolation mode while we are running linux? so we can in about two years :P get this key.
anybody willing to try and break true this barrier with me?

srr for my bad english

thnks in advance
owner of ps3 ,psp , xbox360,
mc

Post by mc »

Putting an SPU into isolation mode does not give it access to any extra data. It only prevents _others_ from accessing what that SPU already has.
Thus a key-cracking application will not benefit from running in isolation
mode.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
haubke

Post by haubke »

well oke but what's the use of the root key then? i know the spu decrypt the program first. then it checks it's integrety if it's all oke it will run on the spu. otherwise it will fale and run nothing.
maybe try and corrupt the hypervisor itself? so it wont be loaded. (or wil the ps3 shut down?)

but what would you sugest to hack it?

i'm serieus i will hack the thing. even if it takes 2 years.
i hate the thing that sony said it can be used as a computer. the speed is now not even close to a pentium 3 or so. we need the ram.
owner of ps3 ,psp , xbox360,
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

First, we don't do hacking here... not like that. Second, you're a little confused about the speed. Even just using the PPE alone, it matches the speed of those 1.7 GHz G5s Appple used to make. It kicks the shit out a P3. That's not even counting the SPEs. Where it's lacking is HARDWARE RENDERED 3D. Since you can't access the RSX (unless your firmware is less than 2.10), you're stuck with software rendering. There are a couple groups working on using the SPEs for 3D. Once one of those comes out, you'll have decent 3D speeds.
androvsky

Post by androvsky »

J.F. wrote:First, we don't do hacking here... not like that. Second, you're a little confused about the speed. Even just using the PPE alone, it matches the speed of those 1.7 GHz G5s Appple used to make. It kicks the shit out a P3. That's not even counting the SPEs. Where it's lacking is HARDWARE RENDERED 3D. Since you can't access the RSX (unless your firmware is less than 2.10), you're stuck with software rendering. There are a couple groups working on using the SPEs for 3D. Once one of those comes out, you'll have decent 3D speeds.
All I knew about was the mesa group's gallium driver, and it's still got a very long ways to go. There's someone else making a 3D library for the SPEs?
we need the ram.
But you can use the RSX's memory for a swap partition now without any hacking. It's officially part of YDL 6.1.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

There's one mentioned here:
http://cellrb.blogspot.com/2007/08/spu-rasterizer.html

I saw at least one other somewhere else that I can't find the link for at the moment. The main terms to search on is "rasterize" and "PS3" or "SPE".
ouasse

Post by ouasse »

Here is a link to Ranulf Doswell's stuff.
I'm also having my own project.