Problem installing YDL 6.1 on PS3

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

lougv22

Problem installing YDL 6.1 on PS3

Post by lougv22 »

OK, so I downloaded YDL 6.1 and burned it on DVD (using Cheetah DVD burner).

Then I inserted the DVD in my PS3, went to the System Settings>Install Other OS and it tells me:

"There is no partition for installing this system on the hard disk. If this system must be installed on the hard disk, you will need to create a partition. Go to [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Format Utility] and format the hard disk to create a partition."

So when I click OK on that it says:

"No applicable installer was found."

What should I do now? Should I format the PS3 hard-drive and try the Install Other OS option again or is there something else I need to be doing here?
ps3fanboy

Post by ps3fanboy »

yes, format the harddisk... then it will work.
JFReyes

Post by JFReyes »

Here's a summary of the steps:

1. Backup your game data because it will be erased by the disk partitioning.

2. Decide whether to assign 10GB to the GameOS or to the OtherOS; as there are currently no other choices the rest of the disk space is assigned to the other one.

3. Partition and format the disk.

4. Get the latest official ps3-petitboot (the bootloader, which as far as the PS3 is concerned IS the OtherOS) from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... petitboot/. Save it on a USB drive as "PS3/otheros/otheros.bld" (literally) and then proceed to install it from XMB. Refer to http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html for more detailed information.

5. Once installed, boot the OtherOS and from it then you boot the YDL DVD.

Good luck.
José
lougv22

Post by lougv22 »

JFReyes wrote:Here's a summary of the steps:

1. Backup your game data because it will be erased by the disk partitioning.

2. Decide whether to assign 10GB to the GameOS or to the OtherOS; as there are currently no other choices the rest of the disk space is assigned to the other one.

3. Partition and format the disk.

4. Get the latest official ps3-petitboot (the bootloader, which as far as the PS3 is concerned IS the OtherOS) from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ ... petitboot/. Save it on a USB drive as "PS3/otheros/otheros.bld" (literally) and then proceed to install it from XMB. Refer to http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html for more detailed information.

5. Once installed, boot the OtherOS and from it then you boot the YDL DVD.

Good luck.
ah, that makes more sense. I formatted my PS3 hard-drive (only took 4.5 hours!) yesterday and assigned 10GB for the Other OS partition and when I tried to Install Other OS this morning I got the same message, i.e. "Applicable installer not found".

I will try what you suggested today.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

JFReyes wrote: 2. Decide whether to assign 10GB to the GameOS or to the OtherOS; as there are currently no other choices the rest of the disk space is assigned to the other one.
This part really pisses me off... I have a 300 GB drive in my PS3, but I STILL can only devote 10 GB to one side or the other. I want to split the drive evenly, dammit!! :X

How hard would it be to just add one more option: 10 GB to GameOS, 10 GB to OTHEROS, or split evenly. Just that much would make me ecstatic!
JFReyes

Post by JFReyes »

J.F. wrote: This part really pisses me off... I have a 300 GB drive in my PS3, but I STILL can only devote 10 GB to one side or the other. I want to split the drive evenly, dammit!! :X

How hard would it be to just add one more option: 10 GB to GameOS, 10 GB to OTHEROS, or split evenly. Just that much would make me ecstatic!
Same here. Hopefully Sony will see the light in a future firmware update.
José
lougv22

Post by lougv22 »

Well, I finally managed to install YDL on my PS3 and it seems to be working fine. Thank you all who helped.

It takes me directly to the command prompt and, as I am a Linux noob, it took me a while to figure out I had to type "startx" to launch the GUI part.

Now I am having a problem with the screen resolution. It starts me off in some very low res, it looks like 500x400 or something like that. I can barely see anything on the "screen" and it cuts off all menus at the bottom so I can't even see the OK button. I use this big old 32 inch CRT TV for a screen, maybe that's why. Any idea how I can bump up the res so I can actually see something? I did find some options for changing the screen resolution, but only one option was available, all the rest were grayed out.
ps3fanboy

Post by ps3fanboy »

it's probably 480i resolution, but i'm afraid that's all you get on an old crt tv.
JFReyes

Post by JFReyes »

lougv22:

Check out command "ps3-video-mode". Also consider reinstalling as it should be possible to boot up a desktop environment such as Enlightenment or Gnome, not just the command line.

By the way -- if you're new to Linux -- perhaps this forum is a bit too advanced for these type of questions, and I don't mean to offend anyone. Perhaps a better resource would be http://www.yellowdog-board.com because that's the Yellow Dog Linux official forum, and they have a PS3 specific (and very active) section. I understand this forum is better suited for software developers.

In any case, I'm happy to help whenever I can.

Cheers,
José