Yellow Dog, Fedora, or Ubuntu for PS3 development?

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

lougv22

Yellow Dog, Fedora, or Ubuntu for PS3 development?

Post by lougv22 »

Hi,

I am a total newb at PS3 development, but I want to learn. Here is my question, which flavour of Linux would be the best for home brewn game development on the PS3? Yellow Dog, Ubuntu, or Fedora?

And second question is: I've been reading instructions about installing Linux on the PS3 and it says that you have to format the PS3's hard-drive. Wouldn't that delete all of you game save files?
ps3fanboy

Post by ps3fanboy »

lougv22

Post by lougv22 »

ps3fanboy wrote:maybe this helps:
http://linuxonps3.wordpress.com/
This has instructions about installing Yellow Dog and Fedora. What I was looking was something more of a comparison between the 3 versions of Linux. Why would I pick one over the other sort of thing, in the context of developing simple games on the PS3.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

They're just flavors... it doesn't really matter, just go with your personal preference.
ps3fanboy

Post by ps3fanboy »

i prefer fedora, because the sdk was tested on fedora and installation is very smooth.
JFReyes

Post by JFReyes »

I started out on YDL 5.02, then Fedora 9 and recently moved to YDL 6.1. Fedora 10 is out already and is great if you're going to be hacking away at the kernel or the apps that come with it, the reason being the fast development cycle those guys keep.

I had a hard time getting Ubuntu 7.10 to install, and gave up.

However, if you prefer a stable development platform -- albeit not necessarily the fastest one -- that takes advantage of all the PS3's features right out of the box (it even includes the Cell SDK), then YDL 6.1 may be for you. Good luck.
José
lougv22

Post by lougv22 »

JFReyes wrote:I started out on YDL 5.02, then Fedora 9 and recently moved to YDL 6.1. Fedora 10 is out already and is great if you're going to be hacking away at the kernel or the apps that come with it, the reason being the fast development cycle those guys keep.

I had a hard time getting Ubuntu 7.10 to install, and gave up.

However, if you prefer a stable development platform -- albeit not necessarily the fastest one -- that takes advantage of all the PS3's features right out of the box (it even includes the Cell SDK), then YDL 6.1 may be for you. Good luck.
Great answer JFreyes, I think I'll go with YDL 6.1.

So how about my second question, is there a danger of deleting my save game files when I format the PS3 drive to install YDL?
ps3fanboy

Post by ps3fanboy »

i think so.
androvsky

Post by androvsky »

lougv22 wrote:
Great answer JFreyes, I think I'll go with YDL 6.1.

So how about my second question, is there a danger of deleting my save game files when I format the PS3 drive to install YDL?
Yes, I'm quite sure it'll delete everything when you format the PS3 drive. There's a backup utility built into the firmware, use that, and it'll back up everything including saves that can't be copied.

Also, although I greatly prefer Ubuntu in general and dislike everything Redhat based, I agree with YDL for the PS3. PSUbuntu is just too unstable.
JFReyes

Post by JFReyes »

I'm not much of a game player, so I installed Linux before I even saved my first game :-P

Anyway, YDL 6.1 is based on CentOS, which I believe is once (or twice) removed from Red Hat. Besides RPM's, it also accepts apt and other package managers so it should work out fine.
José
vadenasy

Post by vadenasy »

How to create a network connection on Fedora core-11 using BSNL BROADBAND[ADSL or PPPOE]? Hi, i have an adsl or pppoE internet connection in my home, i would like to install LINUX [FEDORA CORE 11] on to my computer, but i am struck with the network connection, please give me guide lines on installing a pppoE connection on FEDORA CORE-11. Please Help me.