optimized ps3 software

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

haubke

optimized ps3 software

Post by haubke »

i was googling around and could not find any optimized software for the ps3 does anybody know where to find? my ubuntu is so slow as hell thnks
owner of ps3 ,psp , xbox360,
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Try the debian live CD for the PS3.

http://www.keshi.org/moin/PS3/Debian/Live
haubke

Post by haubke »

thnks
i already stripped down ubuntu but stl slow i'm going to check it now thnks
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I use Fedora 9 on my PSP... you need to recompile the kernel to get speed (that and use XFCE instead of Gnome or KDE). There is a thread on the Fedora PPC/Mac forum that tells how to do that.
thomas_fogh

Post by thomas_fogh »

Use Xubuntu. Not as resource hungry as the regular Ubuntu release...
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

thomas_fogh wrote:Use Xubuntu. Not as resource hungry as the regular Ubuntu release...
Ubuntu and derivatives haven't supported the PS3 since 7.04, although a community build of 7.10 was made. All newer Ubuntus don't work on the PS3... I've tried them. There was a push by some users to get 8.10 to support the PS3 again, but I haven't checked that version out yet.
haubke

Post by haubke »

thnks guys

now i have another question is there software that uses all the spu's of the ps3? i was making a movie from dvd to avi (family video) this was also slow i was looking for ppc64 software but can't find it either. used dvd::rip it worked at 13.4 fps it took 12 hours haha;p
ps3fanboy

Post by ps3fanboy »

no, there is none :-(
haubke

Post by haubke »

oke that s*cks
i know a litle bit c++ but not enough to program the cell :P
thnks anyway i will have more questions in the future ;)
sternn

Post by sternn »

J.F. wrote:Ubuntu and derivatives haven't supported the PS3 since 7.04, although a community build of 7.10 was made. All newer Ubuntus don't work on the PS3... I've tried them. There was a push by some users to get 8.10 to support the PS3 again, but I haven't checked that version out yet.
I've tested version 8.10 of both Ubuntu and Xubuntu for the PS3, and they install with no problems. Xubuntu used noticeably fewer resources, though.
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

sternn wrote:
J.F. wrote:Ubuntu and derivatives haven't supported the PS3 since 7.04, although a community build of 7.10 was made. All newer Ubuntus don't work on the PS3... I've tried them. There was a push by some users to get 8.10 to support the PS3 again, but I haven't checked that version out yet.
I've tested version 8.10 of both Ubuntu and Xubuntu for the PS3, and they install with no problems. Xubuntu used noticeably fewer resources, though.
That's good to hear... maybe I'll switch to Xubuntu. That's my favorite distro at the moment anyway. :)

I imagine the kernel still needs to be recompiled specifically for the PS3, much like with Fedora.
sternn

Post by sternn »

J.F. wrote:That's good to hear... maybe I'll switch to Xubuntu. That's my favorite distro at the moment anyway. :)

I imagine the kernel still needs to be recompiled specifically for the PS3, much like with Fedora.
Yeah, Xubuntu only has a stock 2.6.25 kernel.