some ideas

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

RHCAXD

some ideas

Post by RHCAXD »

OK, so i don't own a ps3, I'll be getting one for xmas =) coz they rock!! I like linux it's a great OS!! I read somewhere that you don't even have full acess to the cell broadband engine (or how it's called) under linux not to complain bout the GPU, now yesterday I read that someone makes ps3 clusters, and I was asking myself if these can take full advantage of the ps3 or at least the CBE which would be an advantage, and if hackin those in some way we could get that on our house on our ps3 some day.
BenR

Post by BenR »

When you use Linux on the Playstation 3, you have access to 6 of the 8 Synergistic Processing Units of the CBE.

Many people have constructed Playstation 3 clusters, but I don't understand what you mean by getting them 'on our house on our ps3'.
androvsky

Post by androvsky »

BenR wrote:When you use Linux on the Playstation 3, you have access to 6 of the 8 Synergistic Processing Units of the CBE.

Many people have constructed Playstation 3 clusters, but I don't understand what you mean by getting them 'on our house on our ps3'.
To clarify, the CBE in the PS3 only has 7 working SPUs, one is disabled to improve manufacturing yield. Also, one is reserved for the OS, so the six that are available in linux are also what are available for game developers.