PS3 Development Survey

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

wombatintexas

PS3 Development Survey

Post by wombatintexas »

I want to begin developing stuff on the PS3 / Linux, but as usual - everyone has their own preferred way of developing..... so I thought I'd get a general consensus of what people are doing..... I do not work for any software / hardware companies, no personal info collected etc...... I gain absolutely nothing from this - other than to learn what / how people are programming for the Linux PS3.

So I came up with the following survey.

http://www.esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx? ... 9ce132259a

let me know if you think that I left anything out...... I am hopeing that the results of this (I'll post them as soon as we get a decent response) will help many get a start in development......

regards,
Jason.
wombatintexas

many views.....

Post by wombatintexas »

We I know that we have many lurkers here (my self currently included), but close to 100 views - and only 1 person filling out the survey......

with the data collected from the survey - I'm hoping that it will make life easier for people getting started in developing for the PS3.... at least then they'll know what / how people are setup on a basic level......

J.
wombatintexas

Post by wombatintexas »

Looking a little better.... 3 people have filled out the survey... I'd think that I'd need a good 20+ to make it worth while....

I'd hope for alot more - this site appears to have over 11,000 users... not sure of the number of active users... but stilll.....

J.
wombatintexas

Post by wombatintexas »

Thanks for those who have submited so far - keep them comming...

pretty intresting so far - I didn't expect it - but out of the 7 current responders - 6 of them are developing direcly on the PS3 v's using a PC.... I didn't expect that... so for those PC based developers - speak up please....

J.
wombatintexas

Post by wombatintexas »

Again - keep them coming - thanks to those who have filed out the survey......

interesting results so far -

75% developing on the PS3 directly

Fedora taking a little over 50% (23% Ubuntu, and 23% Yellow Dog)

so far I have 13 valid responses ( a few garbage ones), but the more the better and more accurate it will be.

regards,
J.
ps3fanboy

Post by ps3fanboy »

time to stop this bs and start doing something reasonable ;-)
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

No, it's interesting. One thing I would love to know is how many have decided to keep RSX access open and thus, gave up on all incoming great games (that require fw>2.01, for example, MGS4). Maybe also, how many did purchage 2 ps3's to get the best of the two worlds... (Sony, if you read this, you may reconsider the RSX access closure, because you are losing recent games sales opportunities among devs and linux users...).
wombatintexas

Post by wombatintexas »

Good Idea - I'll add the question of fw level, as well as number of PS3's.... could possibly find some developers here with 5+ units

J.
crager

So have you started your development yet?

Post by crager »

I am hoping to be able to start developing this weekend. On my last project, I fell into a trap of wasting time looking at what everyone else was doing instead of developing my Java game. If I am using vncserver from a windows machine to my PS3, does that count as other or directly on the PS3?

I am interested in what other developers are doing to, so I hope you keep us posted on the results.
wombatintexas

Post by wombatintexas »

:) I know what you mean....

I'd say that VNC is simular to SSH in the respect to which you are using it = so I'd say that you developing on the PS3....

unless anyone else thinks otherwise...

so far we are running at 17 responses
82% linux based
60% on the ps3 itself
Fedora at 47% (rev 8 and 9 for the most part)
ubuntu 30%
yellowdog 17%
pretty much everyone doing C/C++
most everyone useing the IBM SDK

that sums it up for the most part....

but keep them coming...
ouasse

Post by ouasse »

just answered to the survey. Is there any possibility to view the results ?
wombatintexas

Post by wombatintexas »

Sorry no - there is no public viewing options..... but here are the results so far-

24 responses (a few deleted due to garbage / b.s.)

approx 60% directly on the PS3

83% Linux
33% Fedora
25% Ubuntu
16% Yellow Dog
20% Gentoo

everyone using C++, 20 % using Assembly and 14% python

51% using the IBM SDK
14% ps3toolchain
11% ps3vram
11% SPU-medialib

pretty even split between 32bit and 64bit

8 responses - FW version - 62% have updated their fw above 2.01
7 out of 8 have just 1 ps3.

each time I get 5 to 10 more I'll update the numbers.

J,