Max available RAM in PS3 Linux

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

zefie

Max available RAM in PS3 Linux

Post by zefie »

What is the max amount of userspace RAM available for the PS3? The highest I've managed to get is 224mb RAM (8mb FS3FB, 24mb ? (maybe the kernel and hypervisor?))

Just curious if anyone else has been able to get any higher.

For reference, I'm using kernel 2.6.24 from the 01/2008 CELL ADDON iso, and Debian Linux sid (as well as the latest otheros.bld from the same iso)

I've tried 2.6.26 from the git archive but it ended up actually being the slowest kernel, and only gave me 107mb userspace RAM.

Edit: Just an update, I can lower the framebuffer to 4MB for 720p and get 228mb userspace RAM, and 2MB for 480i and get 230mb userspace RAM. I tried 3mb, it loaded in 720p and promptly crashed after 2 lines. (Linux kept running but the FB was dead).
IronPeter

Post by IronPeter »

On my FW ( 1.9 ) hypervisor created two logical partitions, 128 and 112 MiBs.

So 240 MiBs are accessible by the linux kernel.
billb

Re: Max available RAM in PS3 Linux

Post by billb »

zefie wrote:Edit: Just an update, I can lower the framebuffer to 4MB for 720p and get 228mb userspace RAM, and 2MB for 480i and get 230mb userspace RAM. I tried 3mb, it loaded in 720p and promptly crashed after 2 lines. (Linux kept running but the FB was dead).
I have used those settings before and for 99% of the applications I generally use it doesn't cause any problem, but there are a couple that it has caused problems with:

Interactive Ray Tracer for Cell Broadband Engine
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/irt

Causes the scenes to become garbled in places I guess because it can't use double-buffering with the lower memory setting ...

And the SPE Scaler program I've posted about here -- Linux continues to run but the screen locks up.

I still use it when I boot into text-only mode so I have more memory available for compiling.