YD or ubuntu?

Investigation into how Linux on the PS3 might lead to homebrew development.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

wombatintexas

YD or ubuntu?

Post by wombatintexas »

Just wondering - The release that Terra Soft Linux for PS3 - the one that you have to pay $80.00 or $40.00 with no support - is it the same as the free one that you can d/l? - does it have all the same PS3 dev software included.....

is there any benefit to using YD vs's Ubuntu? - or just personal preferance....

I was planning on installing Ubuntu on my desktop when 8.04 (HH) is released in less than 1 month... then cross compileing and transfering the files to the PS3 via memory stick..... - any suggestions / do's / do-nots?? If YD is the prefered install on the PS3 - it would probably make more sese to have it on my desktop rather than Ubuntu....
wombatintexas

Partial answer....

Post by wombatintexas »

just got this back from terrasoft / YD....

'All of these products are the same except that some come with install
support and some do not. The free download is the same as all the
products that we sell. It is not crippled in anyway and still contains
the exact same packages. '

So I guess their PS3 package is the same no matter if you pay for it or not..... :)

how about the other questions??
ouasse

Post by ouasse »

YDL includes the official IBM SDK, while other distributions either have alternative SDK's (eg, ubuntu) or can install it from downloaded packages (eg, fedora)

I guess it is a matter of personal perference, on the personal experience you got from the different distros in the past ...

I personaly use a Debian system for Cell development. It works great.
ookoi

Post by ookoi »

ouasse wrote:I personaly use a Debian system for Cell development. It works great.
Hi i'm interested in installing a debian, can you tell us which version do you use ? testing or unstable ? If you are on testing don't you have a problem with the version of the kernel (2.6.22) ?

And above all, how do you install the SDK ? directly from the iso of IBM or from alternative packages ? Is there some problems ?

Thank you for your feedback
wombatintexas

another spin on the questions...

Post by wombatintexas »

ok - well since new version of alot of the different versions of Linux is due out at the end of this month I'm putting off installing till then.....

That being said - I'm torn between a few different versions -

YDL 6.0 for the PS3 (since it is setup specificly for the PS3)

Fedora on my PC - due to IBM specific tools for Cell programing - just for Fedora.... - BUT It looks like they are only stateing it's for Fedora 6.0 - I've seen a few workarounds to get it to work on Fedora 8.... - but how about Fedora 9?

Looks like IBM is thinking about the next rev of the SDK.... but it's pretty questionable on what the compatibility will be.... -
https://www-950.ibm.com/survey/oid/wsb. ... IBMSDK.htm

your thoughts?
ouasse

Post by ouasse »

ookoi wrote:Hi i'm interested in installing a debian, can you tell us which version do you use ? testing or unstable ? If you are on testing don't you have a problem with the version of the kernel (2.6.22) ?
I use a testing version, along with some unstable packages, when needed.

I used the debian installer from this page : http://www.keshi.org/moin/PS3/Debian/Installer

This said, it is not easy to update a newly ps3 Debian from stable to testing using this installer, because of some changes in ps3 disk device names from kernel 2.6.16 to more recent kernels. I've read somewhere that the official Debian powerpc installer now fully supports the PS3, even though the CPU it is seen as a powerpc, not a Cell processor. You may need to install a PS3 kernel "by hand". I downloaded the ps3 kernel source from Geoff Levand's git tree, and compiled Debian kernel and header packages using make-kpkg. If you are interested I can put the packages on a website.
ookoi wrote:And above all, how do you install the SDK ? directly from the iso of IBM or from alternative packages ? Is there some problems ?
In fact, I have installed the IBM SDK on my PC, and not on the PS3. I followed the instructions from this page. I guess it would not be very different to install the Cell SDK on a PS3 Debian system.

On the PS3 I use the standard gcc as the PPU compiler. I compiled a SPU compiler using some parts of oopo's toolchain. I just had to run the scripts for building SPU binutils, then gcc stage 1, newlib and finally gcc stage 2.