Its Possible play Dualshock 3 on Playstation 2 ?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

farmatus

Its Possible play Dualshock 3 on Playstation 2 ?

Post by farmatus »

My ps2 pad, was messed up. So i thought to buy a ps3 pad, but when in the store the box only has the pad, but the USB cable, i have one long time ago that works, but lacks the Bluetooth ...

My question is:

I can play with the dualshock 3 on my ps2 trought the USB cable ? without the Bluetooth?

I Think any of you maybe made it work someway
Nodnol212

Post by Nodnol212 »

SIXAXIS and Dualshock 3 work 100% on a 60gig ps3
or 85% in a 80gig ps3
or not sure what compatablilty the PC Ps2 emulator is at.

as for on ps2 hardware... no
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

The PS2 has standard USB so sure, you can use it in theory. You'll have to write drivers and it won't work with standard games without some hackery, though.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Nodnol212 wrote:SIXAXIS and Dualshock 3 work 100% on a 60gig ps3 or 85% in a 80gig ps3
wut
Rob_F

Post by Rob_F »

jimparis wrote:The PS2 has standard USB so sure, you can use it in theory. You'll have to write drivers and it won't work with standard games without some hackery, though.
Yeah. You'll either need to make a USB -> PS2 Controller port hardware hack with a microcontroller or a computer doing the translation, or a piece of resident code on a modded PS2 that maps the input correctly.

It's kind of pointless, there are other wireless controllers out there and the only benefit you'd get is the increased resolution on the triggers. Software wouldn't use the 10-bit sticks without even more hacking.