what are the chances of RSX in > 2.1X

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

Nodnol212

what are the chances of RSX in > 2.1X

Post by Nodnol212 »

i am thinking of upgrading. my fav cat game is now requiring me to update... as well as i have had a difficult time getting linux to run movie files. so the divx suport seems like somthing nice as well. and folding at home would be a good thing.

from what i figure the losses are

RSX in linux <-- the big loss

vob limit of 2gb per file. meaning full hd movies have to be cut up to work in the ps3.

i am curently at 2.01 considering 2.10
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Frankly, a new ps3 is 400 dollars/euros.

The loss of 2.01, is for now, impossible to evaluate (maybe very high).
eddd

Post by eddd »

I was initially pretty hung up about the 2.10 situation until I realised that our absolute best possible outcome for PS3 homebrew is a replacement for a cheap PC.

Think about it, you could buy a micro-stack, a Pentium D, a gig of ram and an fanless PCI-E grapics card for under a hundred quid, and it will outperform pretty much ANY task that PS3 linux could do even if we had full access to RSX (which will never happen). It doesn't really matter how powerful the PS3 is, for everyday tasks such as console/arcade emulation, Internet browsing, office use etc. it won't beat even a relatively low-spec PC due to the RAM shortfall.

Don't get me wrong, I love tinkering with PS3 linux but sadly I don't think it can ever be a worthwhile homebrew platform like in the PSP sense.
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Sure. PS3<2.10 is interesting now for coders willing to mix spu+rsx.
Then, depending of what coders will do, simple users may like it afterward.
So, if you are not coder or not interested by new techs, just get intel, it's ok.
naivri

Post by naivri »

i upgraded to 2.1

the thought of little big planet etc was too much to bear

Unless sony open it right up, PS3 linux will never be as good as a PC.

At the moment its a good gimmick though and a useful emulation box for some emus. UAE works perfectly as does Vice

I posted some how tos on www.psubuntu.com forums for any interested parties

RSX would be nice though, dont get me wrong