Toolchain on PS3?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

gegenki

Toolchain on PS3?

Post by gegenki »

Has anyone actually managed to install the toolchain on the PS3?
Or would it be easier / make more sense doing it on cygwin

After about 30 minutes my PS3 under ubuntu bows out still doing PPU stage1 with

Code: Select all

../../libiberty/../include/libiberty.h:74: error: storage class specified for parameter 'buildargv'
repeated over and over for loads of different parameters with a few other errors inbetween.

I got it to build just fine on my PC under ubuntu a little while ago but I've sense had to wipe that
soulkiller

Post by soulkiller »

please look up the definition of a toolchain on wikipedia...
gegenki

Post by gegenki »

Soulkiller.... what the hell is your point?
I know what toolchain is.
I asked if anyone managed to get the toolchain running on a playstation.
The toolchain - being oopo's toolchain release.

It makes sense in that you don't have to transport files to test it
But it also makes sense to install it onto a PC as a PC will run faster.

You are registered here for 19 months and your first post is a stupid one like that??
Or was there a real point to this?
Jim

Post by Jim »

You don't need the PS3 toolchain on a PS3 because you're not cross-compiling. Just use the built-in gcc. At least, that will get you PS3 Linux programs - I don't know what extra is needed to build OtherOS boot programs.

Jim
soulkiller

Post by soulkiller »

Like Jim said, a toolchain is for cross compiling. Because you are compiling right on the ps3 it wouldn't make sense to cross compile.
BTW: I created my acount a while back because I was going to get active here but things came up (back when I had a working psp). Now that I've got my ps3 I'm getting back into these forums (mainly been lurking in the shadows for the past month) because I really wana start programming for a console again.
notzed

such a friendly place ...

Post by notzed »

A toolchain is just a chain of tools - for whatever target you're aiming at, including a native target - it isn't necessarily for cross platform development. Besides, the built-in gcc doesn't target the spu does it? So you need the spu toolchain to do anything interesting, and a cell-specific ppu toolchain so you can talk between the two.

gegenki, it was a while ago (4 months?), but for ubuntu i just downloaded the fedora rpm's and used alien to install them. I have no idea if the newer release has this stuff bundled or available on apt somewhere now. I installed SDK 2.1, but I see that 3.0 is now out. I didn't use it much but built custom spu code just fine.

See here:

http://www.bsc.es/plantillaH.php?cat_id=103
gegenki

Post by gegenki »

Alright - thanks guys.
I just figured out this morning that they've added packages for Ubuntu gutsy. It wouldn't let me install onto feisty but I'm in the process of upgrading now.