Making an update or not?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

drcd

Making an update or not?

Post by drcd »

Hi,

According to your opinion, is it better for devlopment to keep my ps3 in 1.6 and wait for a hack which is able to run OpenGL in hardware mode or update the Firmware? And does the toolchain works on the 1.92 version of the FW?

Thx
Warren

Post by Warren »

If you're just using your PS3 to code, you might as well leave it at 1.6

At this point I am unaware of anyone who is actively trying to write a RSX driver / reverse engineering the interface to it. And lets be honest, there aren't any opensource ATI drivers for linux (yet) so I doubt we'll have full HW accelerated OpenGL on the PS3 anytime soon.

Yes, the toolchain works for FW 1.92, and I doubt it will ever not work for any firmware updates as it runs under linux which is a stable environment.
ldesnogu

Post by ldesnogu »

Warren wrote:And lets be honest, there aren't any opensource ATI drivers for linux (yet)
You meant Nvidia, or are you talking about Xbox 360? :)
Laurent
Warren

Post by Warren »

Hehe, ummm, errr yeah nVidia :)

In which case, maybe someday we'll be able to steal stuff from the Nouveau drivers but I still doubt that it will happen anytime soon.
drcd

Post by drcd »

Warren wrote:If you're just using your PS3 to code, you might as well leave it at 1.6
No I use it to play, too. So you think that if a hack comes, it will come with FW version of the moment?
Warren

Post by Warren »

Who knows. To be honest we don't even know if we're being blocked from accessing the RSX, we might just not have drivers for it.