Need help setting up ps3

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

soupage

Need help setting up ps3

Post by soupage »

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I am really having some trouble getting a straight answer.

Ok I finally caved in and got once since the price went down. Heres the lowdown, I have the ps3, an hdmi to dvi cable and a digital optical audio cable. Now what I am doing since I dont have a tv my computer monitor is hd compatable, the brandname is "samsung Syncmaster 931bw". Now when I talked to the people at best buy i told them what i was doing how I wanted to run the ps3 through my comp monitor and they said I needed the hdmi cable. But I asked them about the sound and they said the computer speakers wont work, one guy told me to get the optical cable and just got to walmart and get a cheap 80 stereo and i could plug the cable from the ps3 to the stereo and get sound. but when I went to walmart the guy there said that the optical cable doesnt plug into those stereos he didnt really know anything helpful. So what I am asking is if there is anyone that might have exp in this situation and what is the easiest way to go about getting sound.

Thanks
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

This is really a development forum, not really meant for technical support.

You can use the hdmi->dvi cable for video, and also plug in the standard av cable that came with the ps3 and use that for audio.