another newbie question

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

crispie

another newbie question

Post by crispie »

In university I never paid too much attention to OS design. I mainly do application development and never looked too deep into the kernel space. As the PS3 main cpu is a powerpc I wonder if there is an easy way to adjust a powerpc specific application to get it running on the PS3. To be more specific - what would be an approach to adjust a powerpc application, which normally runs under powerpc os, into a way that it natively runs on the PS3, without the need of an OS. I guess I would have to add some "OS elements" and write tons of assembler (which I'd like to avoid). Does the ps3toolchain devkit provide a similar interface as lets say a normal libc under linux? Would the use of that replace an OS between the bare hardware and my application? Some general information about design principles, about how console / homebrew architecture looks like and how it differs from normal application design would be highly appreciated.
Jim

Post by Jim »

If you use PS3 Linux then there's a small chance that Linux programs distributed as source will compile, and many more of them will work with some prodding.
If you just want your app to run at startup, then it's early days just now.

Jim
crispie

Post by crispie »

this doesn't need to be PS3 specific, some general design principles would be interesting, links, examples, stuff you guys read when you were beginners...
thanks
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Try beginners books like
"The C language"
"Linux for beginners"

Then read this
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/p ... inuxps3-1/