ps3link & ps3client projects added to svn

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

emoon

ps3link & ps3client projects added to svn

Post by emoon »

Hi,

I have added ps3link & ps3client projects to svn now.

Currently they has pretty much no content at all but this is just to get things started. Here is pretty idea of how we could get things started:

1. Base the startup / screens setup on the excellent work by mc's "OtherOS demo" (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8333)
This should should be quite fast to get up running as most code is there but might need to change a bit depending on how we want to arrange things.

2. Get networking running. My suggestion is that we use lwip (www.sics.se/~adam/lwip) which is a light-weight implementation of the TCP/IP stack (that has been used in ps2link as well) and then get the lowlevel bits of the NIC running. After looking a bit on it it didn't seem that hard.

3. After that is up when need to be able to execute elfs, do resets, etc to ps3link (just like ps2/psp link) once we got it running we have gotten quite far and should talk later on what the next step(s) would be (like starting a proper ps3sdk, fix spu access and so on)

Any suggestions, ideas, etc are very welcome.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Also, ps3toolchain in svn should be building working binutils for the ppu and spu. I say should because I haven't tested them yet. :)
emoon

Post by emoon »

Yeah.. im just trying it now. ppu binutils worked fine, im getting some trouble with spu but im looking into it
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

Just so everybody knows.. I'll be looking into this in the next few weeks...
I suggest that if you want to help out with ps3link you join #ps3dev on freenode and talk to emoon and myself... that way we can keep things coordinated...

The first thing I'll be looking into is getting a basic ethernet (not-tcp/ip) bootloader running (ie, load binary from ethernet, execute it, maybe do some crash time debug too).
After that it's probably a good idea to move onto TCP/IP, using lwip or similar...
Then we should think about ELF loading, remote filesystem access, gdb stubs, etc, etc...
emoon

Post by emoon »

I would like to give an update on how things are going.

I have got a very very basic ethernet running now. Which means that you can send raw ethernet frames over network and the ps3 will get them.

The ethernet driver is written by myself (with some assistance from jbit)
so it contains no GPL code.

Its also possible to upload very small code bits and run them on the ps3 but its far from ideal yet.

What I will be working on new is to implement a elfloader and some basic launching of them. Also ps3client will feature a console mode as well which makes misc testing a lot easier.

I have a very basic ps3client running (Win32 only right now) so you can do:

ps3client -sm <source mac of pc> -dm <dest mac of ps3> execppu ppu.bin

Next up for me (as stated above) is elfloading and launching. When that is running it will be faster to iterate on the loader and extend the network driver to implement send of packages and interrupt handling.

After that I thing I will try to get the ethdriver to talk with lwip so everything can go over tcp/ip and at that time we should be getting closer to a first release of ps3sdk, ps3link and ps3client.

Stay tuned.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Swanky!

Using mac addresses to access the PS3?

Yowza!
ps2devman

Post by ps2devman »

Wonderful! Thanks a lots!

Do not hesitate to check in the ethernet driver alone.
(I can't wait to plug my modified wattcp stack into it)
turkeyman

Post by turkeyman »

Hey guys.. Is there any progress on this?
Last post here was almost a year ago..
I'd be really keen to get stuck into some raw mode ps3 homebrew.
ps3link would lead to a nice otheros homebrew launcher i expect.. a fully legal xbox1 style homebrew scene on ps3 would be great!