PS3 Test Unit Debugging?

Technical discussion on the newly released and hard to find PS3.

Moderators: cheriff, emoon

webjeff

PS3 Test Unit Debugging?

Post by webjeff »

Hello,

I have a simple question, does anyone know if the PS3 TEST hardware is capable of debugging?

Thanks
Jeff.
StrontiumDog

Post by StrontiumDog »

What PS3 TEST hardware? If you are talking about the offical Developer machines, the answer is Yes. If you are talking about normal ps3's, you can use GDB to debug any code you can run under linux.
webjeff

Post by webjeff »

I'm talking about the official PS3 TEST hardware. This is different from the PS3 TOOL hardware which is their official dev hardware. The TEST I believe was given to both developers and reviewers. It runs unsigned code from blue ray recorded discs, but I'm not sure if it can do debugging. Which is what I am hoping someone will know if it does or not.

Thanks!
Jeff.
vliw

Post by vliw »

The test unit is almost a normal unit without any possibility to debug.
webjeff

Post by webjeff »

vliw,

No, that's not true. On the back of the unit, it clearly states "debugging station". Also, in the menu's there are options for debugging. So, I was able to get my answer that way. Thanks though!

Jeff.
vliw

Post by vliw »

webjeff wrote:vliw,

No, that's not true. On the back of the unit, it clearly states "debugging station". Also, in the menu's there are options for debugging. So, I was able to get my answer that way. Thanks though!

Jeff.
The debug unit doesn't debug at all, is not even possible to run code via network, you must burn a bd-rom or you can use the latest tools from Snsys but they are still very..very..limited, actually the only way to debug something is to use the DEH (the black, heavy monster called dev kit).

I think the option you are speaking about is to enable exception handling because if you try to use normal code on a PS3 console the program crashes.
Pit0711

Post by Pit0711 »

vliw

Post by vliw »

Latest firmware?
The new one should allow something new but the debug station is far from be as useful as the kit.
jbit
Site Admin

Post by jbit »

You know the rules, official dev hardware/software is off limits...